Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 40 : A Package from Home

Ah, but you're not the only one.

B)..........Yes, Jan! But continue on making biscuits for your party tonight! The 'last one' before your transit!! :lmao:

So if the satellite phone is activated in Egypt does that show up in the records? Also the fact that Dirk sent his shipment to the Suez Canal Yacht Club instead of the yacht club where the bomb is being placed at! (As noted that the goat makes mention again of the phone) It would be funny if Dirk and Jim decide to take their trip before the 'mishap at the Suez occurs'

:ph34r:

B)..........Yes, Jan! But continue on making biscuits for your party tonight! The 'last one' before your transit!! :lmao:

So if the satellite phone is activated in Egypt does that show up in the records? Also the fact that Dirk sent his shipment to the Suez Canal Yacht Club instead of the yacht club where the bomb is being placed at! (As noted that the goat makes mention again of the phone) It would be funny if Dirk and Jim decide to take their trip before the 'mishap at the Suez occurs'

We have a few little mysteries in this chapter. :read:

A few chapters back, when Trevor was chatting by phone with Bridget, Trevor was really looking forward to the Suez. Bridget assured him it would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and Trevor replied that he was really looking forward to it, and that he'd have a blast.

But... Trevor's experiences in the canal so far (all the Baksheesh) have not been great. So, will things pick up and he'll get to have a blast after all? Will Bes (the Bringer of Joy) help?

Oh, and one other small question. Where is the bomb? It's clearly aboard either Talon or Atlantis (and I'll confirm that it's in one of those two places). There's a way to figure it out for sure, and it's all in this chapter. :boy:

I think its on Talon because Trevor would have heard or felt that noisy drop on his boat.

Talon has a crew so they make noise and the eric won't know who made noise.

Now it sounds like call detonation is in 48 hours but any chance the bomb will go off sooner.

any chance steve and chris make an appearance and knock down some cell phone towers

its a sat phone so what there to worry - it go boom

So eric got 200 dollar cheaper but how much baksheesh value he gave ... that would be the bottomline value - they could have spent the same amount

ie: like

Eric = 1700 + 200 Baksheesh

Trev=1900 + 30 Baksheesh

very little difference except the gov't gets the deal

I think its on Talon because Trevor would have heard or felt that noisy drop on his boat.

Now it sounds like call detonation is in 48 hours but any chance the bomb will go off sooner.

any chance steve and chris make an appearance and knock down some cell phone towers

B).............. I agree the gift from Bes will wind up on Talon's rocking party boat! :blink: I hope it doesn't rock too much, as nitro is iffy!! I wonder is how long before Bridget discovers the mistake from her contact claiming success, will she assume for awhile that the deed is done? Or discover from eavesdropping that Trevor has made it out of the canal? (Assuming her and George need the eavesdropping for a romantic aid) :blink: Will the cartel make another attempt after blowing this one? It sounds like it will be too late to try and pin this one on Dirk! Australia is still the key here!! Great chapter CJ!!!

Damn. I was hoping it would go off en route. Now since the bomb is placed (and I'm pretty certain its on the Talon) several people we've just been introduced to are going to die. I hate that. I wish it would have been the bad guys that went boom not the innocents. :-(

Damn. I was hoping it would go off en route. Now since the bomb is placed (and I'm pretty certain its on the Talon) several people we've just been introduced to are going to die. I hate that. I wish it would have been the bad guys that went boom not the innocents. :-(

B)...........That can still happen, a certain harbor boat master failed to get it right!

So eric got 200 dollar cheaper but how much baksheesh value he gave ... that would be the bottomline value - they could have spent the same amount

ie: like

Eric = 1700 + 200 Baksheesh

Trev=1900 + 30 Baksheesh

very little difference except the gov't gets the deal

That was Jan.. Eric is on Thaddeus, a massive 3 masted schooner, far bigger than any of the other yachts (and worth far more). Jan, however, is on a boat slightly larger than Atlantis, so should have paid more. (it's based on a formula used to calculate internal volume). However, it's almost randomly applied, so in this case Trevor got stung.

The Baksheesh culture of the Suez is real... I've seen it, but only as a cruise ship passenger. I picked up a lot of the smaller details from reading the blogs of yachters doing transits. :)

And yep, we've got two clocks ticking, in a way.. planned cellular detonation in 48 hours, on Trevor's second day of transit, and the very real possibility of it going off sooner.

BTW, that bump on the fiberglass hull nearly set off the bomb, so it was a very close thing. Mufid nearly blew himself, and whichever boat that was, to bits. If it was Atlantis, Trevor would have likely been killed right then, even though he's at the forward end and that was at the stern.

If it's on Talon, I wonder how it would fare at a party (Which Trevor will be at), with guests clomping by all night long?

The way I see it, the bomb is just a bit.. irritable. :)

It was mentioned that when Mufid came aboard (at the sterns), the owner of the boat was forward with a measurer. That one bump wouldn't have alerted anyone, and you can't see into the cockpit from the forward areas on Atlantis, or Talon. There is a way to easily determine which boat the bomb is on, but that's not quite it. :)

B).............. I agree the gift from Bes will wind up on Talon's rocking party boat! :blink: I hope it doesn't rock too much, as nitro is iffy!! I wonder is how long before Bridget discovers the mistake from her contact claiming success, will she assume for awhile that the deed is done? Or discover from eavesdropping that Trevor has made it out of the canal? (Assuming her and George need the eavesdropping for a romantic aid) :blink: Will the cartel make another attempt after blowing this one? It sounds like it will be too late to try and pin this one on Dirk! Australia is still the key here!! Great chapter CJ!!!

Maybe Jan wants his party to be a real blow-out? :ph34r:

Always expect the unexpected. ;) We don't know who or what goes boom yet.

Okay, now two questions;

#1: I'd love to know why everyone is assuming the bomb is on Talon?

#2: Should I give some hints as to what in the chapter shows where the bomb is?

As soon as someone posts the clue and what it means, I'll confirm (as soon as I see it, anyway..). :)

That was Jan.. Eric is on Thaddeus, a massive 3 masted schooner, far bigger than any of the other yachts (and worth far more). Jan, however, is on a boat slightly larger than Atlantis, so should have paid more. (it's based on a formula used to calculate internal volume). However, it's almost randomly applied, so in this case Trevor got stung.

The Baksheesh culture of the Suez is real... I've seen it, but only as a cruise ship passenger. I picked up a lot of the smaller details from reading the blogs of yachters doing transits. :)

And yep, we've got two clocks ticking, in a way.. planned cellular detonation in 48 hours, on Trevor's second day of transit, and the very real possibility of it going off sooner.

BTW, that bump on the fiberglass hull nearly set off the bomb, so it was a very close thing. Mufid nearly blew himself, and whichever boat that was, to bits. If it was Atlantis, Trevor would have likely been killed right then, even though he's at the forward end and that was at the stern.

If it's on Talon, I wonder how it would fare at a party (Which Trevor will be at), with guests clomping by all night long?

The way I see it, the bomb is just a bit.. irritable. :)

It was mentioned that when Mufid came aboard (at the sterns), the owner of the boat was forward with a measurer. That one bump wouldn't have alerted anyone, and you can't see into the cockpit from the forward areas on Atlantis, or Talon. There is a way to easily determine which boat the bomb is on, but that's not quite it. :)

Maybe Jan wants his party to be a real blow-out? :ph34r:

Always expect the unexpected. ;) We don't know who or what goes boom yet.

Okay, now two questions;

#1: I'd love to know why everyone is assuming the bomb is on Talon?

#2: Should I give some hints as to what in the chapter shows where the bomb is?

As soon as someone posts the clue and what it means, I'll confirm (as soon as I see it, anyway..). :)

B)...............Mufid checked the picture one more time, and though it wasn't taken from the same angle, he was certain that he had his target in sight. Lagoon 55 in every regard, except for the slight difference in length, which was almost impossible to notice unless the two models were moored side by side.

"That's fast. Our boats have similar hullforms, but your extra few feet and lightweight carbon fiber reinforced epoxy hulls make a big difference". Hmmm, is the bombs placement answered here by the fiber glassed questioned here by Mufid's knocking the bomb against the the hull bringing the bomb aboard?

Edited by Benji
Mufid glanced repeatedly at his photo, trying to

discern between the outwardly similar Gunboat 62 catamaran, Talon,

and Atlantis.

I still think trevor can tell if someone came aboard his boat ... he alone and he got ears like a cat.

ok its on Talon - Mufid making a 50/50 chance to screw up - I lean on screw up - on four counts

* a sweating bomb

* poor english "atlantis"

* poor picture unlike the pic than Jim had

* no way to discern key features ie: the sterns are different

I'm guessing that at some point when describing the stowing of the beer and groceries, we were told where the propane tanks were - and it isn't where the propane tank in this chapter was. I'm at work, so I can't go back and look but will search tonight.

B)...............Mufid checked the picture one more time, and though it wasn't taken from the same angle, he was certain that he had his target in sight. Lagoon 55 in every regard, except for the slight difference in length, which was almost impossible to notice unless the two models were moored side by side.

"That's fast. Our boats have similar hullforms, but your extra few feet and lightweight carbon fiber reinforced epoxy hulls make a big difference". Hmmm, is the bombs placement answered here by the fiber glassed questioned here by Mufid's knocking the bomb against the the hull bringing the bomb aboard?

I still think trevor can tell if someone came aboard his boat ... he alone and he got ears like a cat.

ok its on Talon - Mufid making a 50/50 chance to screw up - I lean on screw up - on four counts

* a sweating bomb

* poor english "atlantis"

* poor picture unlike the pic than Jim had

* no way to discern key features ie: the sterns are different

Trevor was with the measurer, well forward, and missed the visitor:)

True, Mufid had a 50/50 chance. And while Jim had a pic of Atlantis, Mufid had a pic of a different boat of her make and model.

Based on the pictures, one difference is the bows... Atlantis's are slightly raked forward, but the Gunboat 52's are straight up and down. But.. Could Mufid see a bow profile? The boats are docked stern-in, so his perspective made for a hell of a task. But.. at worst he had a 50-50 chance. :)

I'm guessing that at some point when describing the stowing of the beer and groceries, we were told where the propane tanks were - and it isn't where the propane tank in this chapter was. I'm at work, so I can't go back and look but will search tonight.

I honestly can't remember if it was mentioned specifically where the full tank storage rack is in earlier chapters, and I wrote it! :*)

Okay, it's time to reveal the truth, and kudos to Benji and Glimsong for getting it!! :worship: :worship:

There were two clues. The first was the chapter title: it only fit well in one of the two scenarios.

The main clue was the bumping of the bomb as it was carried aboard. It was described as bumping the fiberglass hull, and it was mentioned in the chapter that Talon has carbon-fiber epoxy hulls. So, it was not Talon, and is therefor Atlantis. The bomb is now nestled in Atlantis's propane storage compartment in the cockpit. We'll see ironclad confirmation in the next chapter.

Okay, it's time to reveal the truth, and kudos to Benji and Glimsong for getting it!! :worship: :worship:

There were two clues. The first was the chapter title: it only fit well in one of the two scenarios.

The main clue was the bumping of the bomb as it was carried aboard. It was described as bumping the fiberglass hull, and it was mentioned in the chapter that Talon has carbon-fiber epoxy hulls. So, it was not Talon, and is therefor Atlantis. The bomb is now nestled in Atlantis's propane storage compartment in the cockpit. We'll see ironclad confirmation in the next chapter.

B)...........Hmmm, the only question now is how is Trevor going to get rid of the bomb! I somehow feel that something will go wrong with the trigger and it will not go off as planned.

Could it be that in an attempt to outrun pirates later, he throws the propane tank out and shoots it! Being very surprised at the explosion it causes.

Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

So we have bombs and possibly Trevor at risk. I have a funny feeling that Trevor will be just fine.

First something caught my attention that back in chapter 31 Trevor talked about 3 propane tanks, yet when Mufid opened the storage container there was only two. If I were to give the goat an out, I would assume that the 3rd tank is hooked up to the stove already. Not sure if that is considered safe or not, but may explain the 3 tanks.

Here though is the reason I think Trevor is safe. If you don't want to know why I think, then don't read :P

Mufid had the bomb in one tank that was fairly new and he also had five others in his storage locker that he stole from other yachters as well. It would be fair to assume all six of the tanks were similar looking in his boats storage locker. Then the narration is he grabbed the bomb, or at least he grabbed the one he thought was the bomb. With the description of the nitroglycerin sweating and being very very very unstable, the bump against the hull of Atlantis should have detonated it. Yet it didn't. I am willing to bet that while Trevor is transiting the Suez, Mufid will be dying on his boat with his $900. I imagine Trevor will not even know of the explosion. He won't be suspicious of anything until he gets his rock at the Suez Yacht Club :P

BTW, thanks for the chapter CJ :2thumbs:

So we have bombs and possibly Trevor at risk. I have a funny feeling that Trevor will be just fine.

First something caught my attention that back in chapter 31 Trevor talked about 3 propane tanks, yet when Mufid opened the storage container there was only two. If I were to give the goat an out, I would assume that the 3rd tank is hooked up to the stove already. Not sure if that is considered safe or not, but may explain the 3 tanks.

Here though is the reason I think Trevor is safe. If you don't want to know why I think, then don't read :P

Mufid had the bomb in one tank that was fairly new and he also had five others in his storage locker that he stole from other yachters as well. It would be fair to assume all six of the tanks were similar looking in his boats storage locker. Then the narration is he grabbed the bomb, or at least he grabbed the one he thought was the bomb. With the description of the nitroglycerin sweating and being very very very unstable, the bump against the hull of Atlantis should have detonated it. Yet it didn't. I am willing to bet that while Trevor is transiting the Suez, Mufid will be dying on his boat with his $900. I imagine Trevor will not even know of the explosion. He won't be suspicious of anything until he gets his rock at the Suez Yacht Club :P

Nice catch!!

I still debate if Mufid would know the difference between fiberglass and carbon fiber making sounds

Nice catch!!

I still debate if Mufid would know the difference between fiberglass and carbon fiber making sounds

When I first saw this, I had my doubts, so I went out with a rubber hammer, and tried it.

The fibreglass [glass reinforced epoxy] had a deeper note than the carbon fiber[carbon fibre reinforced epoxy]. The answer was not because of the material but the thickness of the material. Carbon fiber was thinner because it has more strength, producing a lighter hull.

Ahh! Wildone, you raise an excellent point!

I'll clear this up in a coming chapter, but there are (or, were) a total of four propane tanks on Atlantis. Two reside in the storage locker, and then two are in use; one in the galley, and one under the barbecue. Trevor's comment about having "three full" in 31 was poorly worded on my part; he hasn't used the barbecue much so it's almost full, the galley stove was just about out, so Trevor put one of his reserve tanks in the galley stove, and was taking the empty in to get it filled, and then put it in the propane storage.

Nice catch!!

Sorry, I worded my explanation badly: The bump had nothing to do with Mufid's boat choice; he'd already made his choice at that point, and almost set of the bomb with the bump. He also would be unlikely to know about the differing hull materials. Mufid made his guess based on the picture, and with a 50-50 chance to start with, he got it right.

When I first saw this, I had my doubts, so I went out with a rubber hammer, and tried it.

The fibreglass [glass reinforced epoxy] had a deeper note than the carbon fiber[carbon fibre reinforced epoxy]. The answer was not because of the material but the thickness of the material. Carbon fiber was thinner because it has more strength, producing a lighter hull.

Red has saved me from a great many technical errors in this story. :worship:

Here's something to consider.... Trevor and his father are already estranged; if Trevor lives long enough to get that rock in the box, will that help or hurt their relationship?

:angry:...........Wait a minute, the narrator has placed the bomb as being aboard the Atlantis, and the narrator does not lie! Which means either the bomb is is not placed there and still aboard Mufid's boat as a mistake or aboard the Atlantis. While I can see Mutifd's anxiety and urgency to complete his task, I cannot see him making the mistake of getting the wrong tank aboard Trevor's boat. I'm not sure if the gasses within the sealed container offer any other protection from exploding, so it is a possibility that Trevor carries the bomb through his transit. Question remains, what if the dial up codes are not correct? Will that buy time and space for Trevor?

It doesn't matter at this point. The bomb will go off period. Whether its a bump or the cell signal there is absolutely no way it won't. The dynamite will sweat more as it ages though to a slower degree since its out of the direct heat, but there is no question that the bomb will detonate. Its just a matter of how and when. Though by all odds its going to be very soon.

Edited by glimsong

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..