72 members have voted

1. 1. What age is 'No longer young'?

• 18. Legally an adult
    • 20-25
    • 25-29
    • 31-35
    • 35-40
    • 40+
    • Depends on an individual's circumstances.
    • Young is a state of mind.

This topic sometimes comes up in chat, and it always get a variety of answers, with younger people generally choosing a lower age for 'no longer young' then the older people. So what do you think is the age/age group that you can no longer say 'I'm young'?

It depends on the person, really. I've met fifty-plusses that I counted as still young, but I've also ran into people my age that seemed ancient. It really is about your state of mind.

Youth is definitely a matter of your outlook, a state of mind. If 40 is the new 30, then perhaps 70 is the new 50. I certainly hope so.

What an apt question for me today :P. I voted for 30. Now mind you that 30+ doesn't make you old, but I think once you get to 30 you can't say - 'oh I'm still young' or 'it was a youthful indiscretion.' For me age is a state of mind too, but it would be rather sad if I went around with an on line name of "Young (fill in the blank)" Again this is just when is it you are no longer young. I can still keep up with the 16 year olds on a soccer field when I referee so I don't think of myself as old, but I am certainly no longer young.

I have to agree with 30 also I certainly would not see myself as old but no longer would I think I was young. I dont even see 30 as middle aged, its just an interesting period between young and the dreaded 40 were everything stops working if comedys will have you believe.

30. It's the age I'm dreading the most.

The more you approach 30, the less you think it's "old" age :P And, how my parents are getting older, the definition of "old" is also moving further... Last but not least, one has to consider, if "I'm no longer young" means "I'm old".

Because if you divide the life into childhood, adolescence, adulthood, old age, where "young" comes? Youngs =/= adults? Kids =/= adults. Young adults do exist. So when you cease to be young, are you automatically old? Or what are you? Adult? Moreover, in my opinion, one becomes adult, when they have to take care of themselves, without parents' help and upkeep - so basically after college or late college years. Once you get a full-time job and you're not a student anymore, that might be a good threshold between "young" (=student) and ...well, adult :P

I though I was old when I reached 25. Then, at 26, you lose any students' discounts here, if you're still studying. So you basically become officially "old". Now I'm 27 and when I hear "20-something young man" I realize I still belong to that category. I'm the youngest among people at work - so some people call me familiarly "our young one". So is it 30? 35? 40? Basically, every next tenth anniversary is scaring those who are approaching it. Now, 30 might look like "not young anymore". But then you realize, that 40 is coming... and suddenly 40 means "not at all old yet". Then 45... half way towards 50... "I'm still not old". And 50? Bear in mind, that once we reach 50, we'll still have 20 years to go before we get any pension from the state, if we get any. 20 years of work to go! That can't mean "old".

So, even if I talked mostly about when it's "being old", I showed what I think (and what I voted for): it depends on your current age (and many other things). And, it depends on how you answer the question "Does 'no longer young' mean 'old'?"

• Like 2

The answer to this one is quite obvious and that is Young is a State of Mind.

If anyone wants to argue about it and suggest that over 40 is old then I'll bite you until you change your mind.

I agree with Nephy, age is a state of mind.

Tough I often bitch about being the oldes person in chat it is just a joke.

I think it has to do with being able to renew oneself and not get stuck with life. Also if you can hold on a fresh look on world around allow yourself to be curios, you are young.

Aged people can have pretty young hearts and minds, I know many.

I really don't know. I haven't reached that age yet!

Let's see:

I'm taking piano lessons. [started last year.]

Still building furniture in my workshop. [Need a couple of bookcases]

Started a new hobby. [photography]I'll let you know when and if I get old.

• Like 2

It's all relative to who you're hanging out with in a given situation.

When I'm hanging out with the 55-65yo gay queens, I'm the young chicken that gets pawed on :blink: .

When I'm with the 20something students, I'm the middle aged sage :music: .

• Like 1

By 3 you're still a growing young boy

By 7 you're basically an evil horny adolescent.

By 14 you should be well settled in your career

By 17 you're pretty much done.

It's all relative to who you're hanging out with in a given situation.

When I'm hanging out with the 55-65yo gay queens, I'm the young chicken that gets pawed on :blink: .

When I'm with the 20something students, I'm the middle aged sage :music: .

B)............. Interesting question, I felt forever young until I hit 55, then those old injuries started to act up on me :blink: .. still my body is in pretty good shape. But you won't find me running like Vic (methinks he is just checking out guys running in front of hi though) 0:)

As I said in my profile : " young for ever":lol:.

But the answer this question is not so easy !

a first answer could be for me : at the birth of my first son, I was 23.

a second answer could be when I built my first company, I was 36.

a third answer could be when I lost my parents. I was 40 at my father's death and 54 at my mother's death.

a forth answer could be when I got my first cancer, I was 67.

a fifth answer could be when I lost my daughter, I was 74.

But the real answer is : when I lost my eldest son, I was 79 :(.

Edited by old bob
  • Like 5

I think it's 25. I turned 25- I wouldn't really call myself a youth anymore. I'm no longer college-aged. I wouldn't call myself old, either- just I don't think of myself as young. It's kinda nice. Sometimes I miss my youth, but then I think about what a total jackass I was as a teenager, up until I was 22, and cringe.

Age is just a number.

I admit that in certain situations/decisions I would consider age, but generally speaking I try to focus on what kind of person and not how old they are.

I've been told countless times that I'm mature "for my age".

At 22, I'm considered way too old to start competitive gymnastics

At 22, Yoda would disapprove training me to become a Jedi

At 22, I may as well be 82 when it comes to the law

But...

At 22, I'm still enjoying the prime period of my physical and health state.

At 22, I'm young enough to be cocky but old enough to be confident.

At 22, I'm still discovering myself but have a good idea.

And....

At 22, I'm only starting my career.

At 22, I'm still on the first page of my bucket list.

At 22, my entire future is open to me

30...I agree it is a state of mind, but my mind is telling me I don't want to live to turn 30. I've thought long and hard about how, if I'm still alive at 29 that is, I want to die. :P For the longest time I had decided air embolism, but then I found out it's a myth that it will kill you instantly...So I'm back to square one.