[Jwolf] The Funny Thing Is

I'll say the brunch scene is first on Chapter 13's agenda. I hope I captured the right spirit... I was going for a more RHONY vibe than Basketball Wives, with just a little Big Rich Texas thrown in... we'll see next Sunday :)

“Cooper, please take me off speaker phone. Right now,” Spencer threatened. I could have very easily driven with one hand, but then I would have had him blasting into my ear about selling him out to Kyle when, in fact, he had sold me out to Kyle.

“No, I’m good. What’s up buddy?”

“Fine. Fine, you know what. You’re an asshole and you shouldn’t have thrown me under the bus like that,” Spencer said.

“Umm, am I missing something?” I responded, pulling into the entrance of the marina. “You told Kyle that I told you about the election. I never said anything about his marriage being an arrangement and yet somehow he thinks those were my words to you.”

“Uncle Kyle is getting married?” CJ whispered. Too frustrated to even attempt to find parking, I circled to the front and got into the valet line.

“Yeah, but now he thinks I came up with that theory and he’s pissed at me.”

“And you’d rather him be pissed at me?”

“Newsflash: he’s always pissed at you. You should have taken one for the team.”

I didn’t have time for Spencer’s ridiculata. How it was okay for Kyle to jump down my throat, but how he couldn’t possibly be in hot water with his best friend was a dynamic of our foursome I would never understand.

Remind me what it is that makes Spencer such a good guy again?? The one thing I keep seeing from him is just being able to shake off any bad thing that he's involved in, as if he's "entitled" to do that.

EDIT: OK, so I thought about it a little more...it feels like Spencer doesn't really know how to be anything other than frustrated, when it comes to anything Cooper does anymore - and I will say I don't blame him for that. But, having become this socialite that he's become in this story, he's put himself on this "high and mighty" pedestal, and he's becoming less and less of a decent guy because of it.

Edited by MJ85

hehehe Yeah, Spencer was a jerk in that scene. No question about it.

Two things though - Coop started it all by opening his big mouth, even after he gave his word to Kyle to keep it confidential. Posted Image And Kyle's being a drama queen. No doubt Kyle doesn't want Winston to get wind of any of this - at least the part where the upcoming marriage is all part of the election strategy.

Brunch should be fun! Posted Image I don't imagine Chase is invited. Posted Image

MJ - are you letting me have the last word here? Posted Image

I have one more thing I want to say about Kyle and that is I believe him. He isn't marrying Winston to improve his chances for election. He's moving on - after 20 years, don't you think he should? He wants to grab some happiness for himself and it's about time. I really do want him to be happy.

One more thing. We have to remember that, for the characters, 20 years have gone by. For readers like myself it's only been 3 months or so since the The List finished. Both Kyle's and Chase's betrayals are still "fresh" (for the lack of a better term) for me. I do find it difficult incorporating the fact that 20 years have passed.

• Like 1

For some reason, it doesn't seem like even being just friends is going to work as long as Kyle's with Winston. I'd hazard a guess that maybe Cooper's not over Kyle either, no matter how much he may want to convince himself that he is...

Friends with a "history" probably never really get completely over each other. They can move on and remain friends with all the tension that implies or they can move on and avoid each other. Winston is not a friend, not in the tight group of friends, and not an 'honorary' uncle like the others. The stickler with Winston is that he doesn't like Coop because he feels threatened and that probably won't change so avoidance may be the solution. I don't see Coop getting back with Kyle. I also think that Chase is not someone that Coop could depend on for the long haul. He does have his enabler status with his former 'husband' which is not likely to change as even he admitted. Outside of a body to die for, sex appeal plus and perhaps money, I can't think of one reason why Coop is so infatuated with him.

Friends with a "history" probably never really get completely over each other. They can move on and remain friends with all the tension that implies or they can move on and avoid each other. Winston is not a friend, not in the tight group of friends, and not an 'honorary' uncle like the others. The stickler with Winston is that he doesn't like Coop because he feels threatened and that probably won't change so avoidance may be the solution.

I agree, and I see Winston getting sacked for this very reason. You may be onto something with Chase, though right now I think it would take another drastic event to steer them apart from their current course of working things out. I don't see Cooper getting back with Kyle either, in fact, I do think that if things fall apart with Chase yet again, that Cooper will simply end up alone. For all we know, it could turn out that Cooper ends up solo in the end because he can't move past Kyle, Chase, OR Devon, yet he can't be with any one of them because to be with any one of them would just be too toxic (though I think that possibility is a bit drastic). Posted Image

One more thing. We have to remember that, for the characters, 20 years have gone by. For readers like myself it's only been 3 months or so since the The List finished. Both Kyle's and Chase's betrayals are still "fresh" (for the lack of a better term) for me. I do find it difficult incorporating the fact that 20 years have passed.

Well, while 20 years have gone by, in the events of this story alone, Cooper has managed to both hook up with Kyle and leave him hanging yet again, and Chase has revealed to Cooper that he was married for 7 years while he was gone. Those seem like pretty fresh events to me... Posted Image

MJ - are you letting me have the last word here? Posted Image

Sorry to disappoint you. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by MJ85

I interrupt this hot-to-trot, and very interesting, debate to bring you chapter 13. It's a little longer, but hopefully streamlined enough and a fun read. Anyway, it's available here. Check it out and let me know what you think :)

Why do I get the feeling that Kyle, Bass, and Spencer all orchestrated that so-called "brunch" as an excuse to just use Cooper as their punching bag? Personally, I feel like Mr. Drama Queen is destined for his own fall from grace, because I just don't see him getting what he wants with seeking the DA position and having Winston. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with neither of those, and if Spencer and Bass insist on sticking by his side, then when he falls, he'll take them with him. Yeah, Spencer's always been Kyle's friend, but through his own actions, he's practically amoral now. As for Bass, between blindly taking Kyle's side in his issues with Cooper and giving in to whatever Britney wants (previous chapters), he's not even his own person anymore.

I'm sorry, but the bitchier Kyle and Spencer get, the more I just want to see them go down in flames. There's only so much a guy can take before he decides he's better off without having anything to do with them.

I have been trying to stay far away from the debate going on, simply because it's more fun to watch :) that's what she said, maybe.

But I will say I think you're being slightly harsh on Kyle. Remember, he tried to organize a dinner that coop couldn't make, so they did, in fact, crash his brunch with Winston. I guess I'm slightly protective of the guy because he's finally making progress in getting over Cooper, something that's taken twenty years to do. Also, it took chase coming back and watching Cooper fall so effortlessly back to him to finally make see he had to move forward.

I know I have an unfair perspective when it comes to the characters motive, but once it's on the page, it's up to interpretation. I will say, I don't think Kyle intends to be a huge jerk about it, he's just doing what he can to move on.

I know I have an unfair perspective when it comes to the characters motive, but once it's on the page, it's up to interpretation. I will say, I don't think Kyle intends to be a huge jerk about it, he's just doing what he can to move on.

Maybe not, and maybe the dinner he did arrange afterwards will bear that out. Sure seems like Spencer does intend to be a jerk about it in Kyle's place, though. Kind of makes me wonder how much Spencer's been egging both Kyle and Bass on about Chase. Kyle telling Spencer to knock it off would go a long way towards making his case (all the more appropriate for Mr. Lawyer Man Posted Image ).

Which makes me think. You say Kyle tried to organize the dinner that Cooper couldn't make? To go back and read chapter 12 again, sure seems like Spencer was doing the organizing (though maybe it's just his phone call telling that story).

You could right. Spencer might be kyle's mouthpiece to a certain extent. But with a friend like Kyle who is prone to falling into destructive patterns, especially with Cooper, I don't blame spencer for stepping up and being protective. Also, he knows chase better than Kyle and Sebastian. Maybe not bye much, but they had a friendship for a whole term prior to Cooper hooking up with him. If anyone has the right to call him what he is (I think selfish douche isvthe consensus), it'd be Spencer.

Also, good call on the research. I saw him more of being Kyle's messenger, but again, it's interpretation, and I love it.

I will say I'm enjoying exploring the inter group dynamics that are surfacing. Even within a crew of four, there are a ton of layers that come into play, and I'm really glad you all are picking up on them and enjoying discussing them. It's really neat to watch.

“You’re an asshole and a traitor,” I directed towards Spencer.

Coop might have been a wee bit harsh here but, all in all, Spencer deserved it. He was staying in Kyle's good books at Coop's expense. Of course, what Kyle and Spencer actually discussed on the subject of Kyle's upcoming marriage to Winston, we'll likely never know. I'm thinking, though, that if Spencer really sees himself as Kyle's best friend, he should have raised the issue with him. What I love about these guys is that the very next day Coop and Spencer are discussing Spencer getting his hair coloured. Made me laugh.

Had I been in Coop's shoes at the brunch, I wouldn't have given Bass the "get out of jail free card" over Mike leaving his own birthday party to take Liz home....before he took her home. I'm not even sure if Bass is aware of the little lay over, so to speak. Posted Image I'm sure Mike didn't mention it. Bass is starting to piss me off. It's like he gets a free ride in all the drama his gay friends go through. Someone should tell him to get his balls back...seeing that they're neatly tucked away in Brittany's purse. Someone should also tell him that a fortnight is two weeks (fourteen days), not a month. Posted Image

You could right. Spencer might be kyle's mouthpiece to a certain extent. But with a friend like Kyle who is prone to falling into destructive patterns, especially with Cooper, I don't blame spencer for stepping up and being protective. Also, he knows chase better than Kyle and Sebastian. Maybe not bye much, but they had a friendship for a whole term prior to Cooper hooking up with him. If anyone has the right to call him what he is (I think selfish douche isvthe consensus), it'd be Spencer.

As the guy who used to have a major crush on Chase before finding out it was all for naught, though, is Spencer capable of not having biased feelings about Chase? I'm thinking...no.

As the guy who used to have a major crush on Chase before finding out it was all for naught, though, is Spencer capable of not having biased feelings about Chase? I'm thinking...no.

I mean, that was oodles ago. I'm willing to assert Spencer has moved on from that initial blow. Hello... Kenicki from the touring company of grease.

Devon was granted temporary full custody pending the final divorce. No mention has been made of how or when the divorce proceedings are going or will occur. Certainly, she will press for full custody in the final decree. But she has accepted the Chicago position and based on C.J.'s last interaction with his dad, he did not know about the planned move. So we haven't heard from the kids and we haven't heard anything about the progress on the divorce. I can't imagine that the judge will allow her to move the kids on a temporary grant of full custody.

Kyle is portrayed as being in full lawyer mode but I wonder. Has he suggested that Coop hire a private investigator to determine if there are any unknown motives to Devon's plans? Devon has spent many weekends away at conference after conference. Is that just innocuous or is something else going on? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kyle is also by being a member of the "club" from school going to run for political office. Is he doing the best he can for Coop without consideration of his campaign and image?

Just what does Chase do anymore, besides look good, go to the gymn and impress Coop. Is he financially set for life and if so, that is taking swimming a bit further that it seems credible. Mark Spitz was great but didn't end up financially set for life. He had to go out and earn a living. Maybe Michael Phelps will make enough, especially if he does well in London too. Just wondering.

Devon was granted temporary full custody pending the final divorce. No mention has been made of how or when the divorce proceedings are going or will occur. Certainly, she will press for full custody in the final decree. But she has accepted the Chicago position and based on C.J.'s last interaction with his dad, he did not know about the planned move. So we haven't heard from the kids and we haven't heard anything about the progress on the divorce. I can't imagine that the judge will allow her to move the kids on a temporary grant of full custody.

Kyle is portrayed as being in full lawyer mode but I wonder. Has he suggested that Coop hire a private investigator to determine if there are any unknown motives to Devon's plans? Devon has spent many weekends away at conference after conference. Is that just innocuous or is something else going on? Inquiring minds want to know.

No way that Brittany's not involved. The way Devon walked in as someone completely unrecognizable...I get the feeling she's not planning to move solely from wanting to. But if the judge is anything like the guy who awarded Devon full custody, or worse yet, if it's the same guy, the guy who basically considered Cooper as lower than scum...nothing that should count for any points towards him will matter.

Spencer's going to get himself burned...badly...if he keeps going on his bitter little track. Posted Image

Edited by MJ85

Tardy! Posted Image

Seriously, though...how is this story going to end in anything other than one giant hot disaster with everyone involved somehow? Posted Image It basically amounts to that there will never be anyone who Kyle will accept being with, except for Cooper. And...the same appears to be the case for Chase. So, Cooper will have to choose. And given his track record with this sort of thing...I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is that all three end up alone!

Ménage à Trois?

Not the way to go if Coop seriously wants to be involved in raising his kids.

would never work with kyle or chase....jealousy would kill it almost immediately. IDK even know what I want at this point. I want kyle and cooper but then I think that could hurt him in the trial with going back and forth between guys so quick. I'm thinking chase wont let him get away or they will try to cool it off..idk

This is starting to feel like the two-part second-season finale of Will and Grace - where literally everything in Will's social and professional life turned sour, so he (rightfully) bailed. Out of these:

• Cooper's kids having to choose between staying with him or going with Devon
  • Kyle having to choose to get back together with Cooper...or not
  • Chase...the same thing
  • Cooper staying employed at SMU...or not
  • Cooper seeing The List get published...or not
Any one of these could turn sour in the next chapter, or worst of all...they all could! Such a Doomsday scenario wouldn't be that much of a stretch, actually... Posted Image
  • Like 1