[Jwolf] The Funny Thing Is

Obviously our author likes a lot of drama in his stories and insures there is plenty.

MJ85 listed some major ones, but there are plenty of subplots with the potential to explode as well.

What next, Liz and Mike running away? CJ getting expelled for acting out? Morgan proposing a menage a trois? Devon trying to buy Coop off? Kyle getting caught out in public on his knees in front of another man and Winston making it a scene by involving reporters? Somehow, I don't see anything as off the table?

Obviously our author likes a lot of drama in his stories and insures there is plenty.

MJ85 listed some major ones, but there are plenty of subplots with the potential to explode as well.

What next, Liz and Mike running away? CJ getting expelled for acting out? Morgan proposing a menage a trois? Devon trying to buy Coop off? Kyle getting caught out in public on his knees in front of another man and Winston making it a scene by involving reporters? Somehow, I don't see anything as off the table?

Last time I looked, readers enjoy drama in the stories they read. I certainly do.

Your subplot suggestions are ridiculous, bordering on insulting. What's amazing to me is you keep reading, you keep reviewing and you keep posting in the forums. Try moving on if you have nothing constructive for the author.

Well at least you've stopped spewing out parental advice. That got old pretty quick, I'll tell you.

Last time I looked, readers enjoy drama in the stories they read. I certainly do.

Your subplot suggestions are ridiculous, bordering on insulting. What's amazing to me is you keep reading, you keep reviewing and you keep posting in the forums. Try moving on if you have nothing constructive for the author.

Well at least you've stopped spewing out parental advice. That got old pretty quick, I'll tell you.

Posted Image Thoughtful, incisive, pointed. But nothing constructive for the author. Posted Image

Edited by Daddydavek

^ tl;dr to the side chat.

The story's been great so far. i'll be adding much more reviews as soon as my desktop is back in working condition and i'm not just typing from my phone.

I read The List and The Funny Thing Is in about three days, so so far it's been one hell of a ride. :D

I've been wondering what was going on with the next chaper (or actually, the lack of the next chapter, lol). So...I thought I'd stalk your forum.

I'm sorry to hear you're having internet problems. I hope you'll be up and running b/c I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE JUDGE RULED AND WHAT THE KIDS SAID!!!!!! Ok, but really, whenever is good for you Jon; I'm just anxious. I haven't had my Coop/Chase fix in over a week and I'm going thru withdrawals! And omg, I just remembered: MORGAN!!!! Shit, now I REALLY need to find out what's gonna happen next.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I've recognized that I probably come across as some kind of Debbie Downer for several of these chapters, so I'm going to force myself to not be one this time. Posted Image

Hopefully the fact that Kyle persuaded Chase to come to his event is a sign that he'll be moving on for the long-term. And in turn, that Spencer can get over whatever's still got him hating Chase.

So, I've recognized that I probably come across as some kind of Debbie Downer for several of these chapters, so I'm going to force myself to not be one this time. Posted Image

Hopefully the fact that Kyle persuaded Chase to come to his event is a sign that he'll be moving on for the long-term. And in turn, that Spencer can get over whatever's still got him hating Chase.

Posted Image Haven't heard the Debbie Downer thing before. Love it!

I'm with you on the Kyle comment. He needs to grab himself some happiness. Posted Image I believe Spencer will come around if Kyle does. I think Spencer's been doing the loyal friend thing. Mind you, I'm sure he and Kyle have had some heart to heart converstions on the subject of Coop.

Spencer's got himself a beau! Posted Image About time!

There's still tons of stuff to come - Coop's kids have a decision to make and there'll be fallout from that; the Chase/Morgan thing needs some kind of resolution, Coop's job and the book...well, that the major stuff. Apparently Britney will be stirring the pot - can't wait for that. Posted Image

Of course, a few more love scenes between Coop and Chase would be ok. Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

The way Spencer was carrying on going after Chase...honestly, he came across very much like a guy who was secretly carrying his own torch for Cooper, with Troy merely being his own convenient distraction (of the moment) for dealing with it.

So Morgan says he won't let Chase go, even if it kills him. Am I surprised? No. Posted Image Do I think he'll get his wish? Yes...just not the way he intends. Posted Image (Advice for him would be: "Be careful what you wish for...")

The way Spencer was carrying on going after Chase...honestly, he came across very much like a guy who was secretly carrying his own torch for Cooper, with Troy merely being his own convenient distraction (of the moment) for dealing with it.

So Morgan says he won't let Chase go, even if it kills him. Am I surprised? No. Posted Image Do I think he'll get his wish? Yes...just not the way he intends. Posted Image (Advice for him would be: "Be careful what you wish for...")

Interesting take on Spencer. That thought never entered my mind. I'm sure I couldn't handle that "complication" added on to the other subplots going on. Posted Image Can you imagine Kyle's reaction? I wonder if there's a Coop/Spencer team out there...lurking, waiting for the right moment to pounce? Posted Image

Then we'd have three teams stalking the author! Posted Image

As for Morgan, initially I was taking his threat seriously; but when he said something like Chase couldn't go without his dick, well, that was just the drugs and his ego talking. Chase is his meal ticket. There'll be no easy way out for Chase in solving the Morgan situation. When Chase finally cuts him off, and I do think that will be the way of it, will Morgan OD just to spite him? That would be very painful for Chase. Posted Image

Then there's Liz. Posted Image Other than the Mike situation and the boat trip with Chase, we haven't had much exposure to her. In relating her decision to Coop, all she could talk about was the glitz of Chicago. Nothing about wanting to be with her mom - who, of course, won't be there half the time anyways. Seeing that CJ didn't see her all that weekend, she hasn't even discussed her decision with him. This will devastate Coop. He will, no doubt, encourage CJ to go with her.

• 2 weeks later...

As for Morgan, initially I was taking his threat seriously; but when he said something like Chase couldn't go without his dick, well, that was just the drugs and his ego talking. Chase is his meal ticket. There'll be no easy way out for Chase in solving the Morgan situation. When Chase finally cuts him off, and I do think that will be the way of it, will Morgan OD just to spite him? That would be very painful for Chase. Posted Image

He strikes me as a kind of guy with the motivation of, "If I can't have him...nobody can!" Very Fatal Attraction, I know, but Morgan doesn't exactly strike me as a "balanced" kind of guy. Posted Image

Then there's Liz. Posted Image Other than the Mike situation and the boat trip with Chase, we haven't had much exposure to her. In relating her decision to Coop, all she could talk about was the glitz of Chicago. Nothing about wanting to be with her mom - who, of course, won't be there half the time anyways. Seeing that CJ didn't see her all that weekend, she hasn't even discussed her decision with him. This will devastate Coop. He will, no doubt, encourage CJ to go with her.

LOL...tell me you didn't see that coming with Liz. Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

So, after all this...this is what it's come to.

This is the kind of chapter that makes me wish that every single last one of these characters would just go jump off the nearest cliff, taking the entire story with them.

I believe it was Yogi Berra (Yankee catcher for many years, now enshrined in the Baseball HOF) who said, "It ain't over 'til it's over!" Of course, he also said, "The future ain't what it used to be." Posted Image

Coop wants his kids to be together so they can support each other through the divorce. He knows he can't change Liz's decision and he doesn't want CJ hating his sister for making the decision for him (CJ). So he's sacrificing himself with the hope that CJ will one day understand.

Who knew our Coop could be so noble! Posted Image I wouldn't have done it this way myself. I wouldn't have been able to have my son hate me. Is the harder choice the better one? I just don't know. Posted Image

That's just it...it feels like that's what he's going to end up doing - is literally, sacrificing himself from everyone. It doesn't matter what he does anymore, no matter what situation we're talking about - all that happens is that he ends up horribly damned. Not a one of these completely self-centered "people" (and I use the term loosely) deserves to have anything to do with him at all.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he's been pushed past the point of saving, even though absolutely no one that he currently knows has any business even trying to be his savior.

If you hadn't been writing this as well as you have been JWolf, I probably wouldn't be feeling the way that I do. :D It's the plot that gets to me...I don't think hate is strong enough a word for how I feel about the point it's at now. Regardless of that, the writing is excellent.