[Jwolf] The Funny Thing Is

I have been reading your stories and liking the drama, but when I finished reading this chapter, I felt myself shouting out "NO! NO! NO! The quote or chapter title is true, but I think is wrong in this case. I had been involved in a similar situation when my first marriage came to an end, but my son was off to college making it a very different situation. I also worked as a school counselor with a couple of families with a divorce situation and feel strongly that kids of that age should have the right to a strong voice in what it going to happen to them. I remember on boy about a year older than CJ and the trouble he experienced and gave everyone. He also wanted to live with his father very badly. He acted out in school and was obviously in a great deal of emotional pain. He ended up running away later to get the attention of everyone that he wasn't going to do what "everyone" seemed to want until they took into consideration his wants. Things went much better after he was allowed to live with his father.

The decision on Coop's part is dumb and not well founded. The rejection of CJ will have a much greater damaging effect on CJ's development as a man than would not living with his sister at this stage of his life. We have come to expect Coop to make dumb decisions about those he loves. He deserves the pain that he gets from them. This isn't to say that I don't have sympathy for Coop because I do. I've been there and it is a very painful spot to be in. I had great pain just continuing to read after he made the decision. It was like watching a car crash with great revulsion and yet not being able to look away.

I sure hope that this isn't the last we have about this decision. Other arrangements can be made to help the kids develop closeness. I think that it could happen naturally even. They are far enough in age (about 4 yeears) that there will be conflicts through the teen years anyway. The closeness will develop during the college years when they are more open to it. But I don't think that JWolf plans to go on that long with this one.

A kid with two dads is a reality today and might make for a good story line. The kid from Iowa with two moms awhile back was proof that mentally healthy kids can grow up in a home with gay parents. I had a student about ten years ago tell me that he got along better with his father after his father came out to the family and set up a new home with his male lover after the divorce.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to announce that the next chapter is up and answer some questions while I'm here. Find Chapter 21 here.

Bob, I completely understand your comment, where you're coming from, and agree with you. Having just seen my parents go through a pretty rough divorce, I'm sure I would have loved a say if things had taken a turn when I was in high school (being 23 at the moment, I can still remember walking on egg shells around them when I was younger because I knew our house of cards was about to topple over).

That being said, I think Cooper's actions were in line with his character. One of the things I've tried to show in him is that he's willing to take responsibility for what he did, no matter how it ends up hurting him in the end. I feel like he truly thought sparing Devon and Liz the blame for the Chicago move would be easier for everyone, including CJ. It's no doubt the kid loves his dad and would have resented his mom had Coop not taken the fall for it. At least that's what I was trying to paint.

Rest assured, this isn't the end of that portion of the story by a mile (well, maybe a mile). I won't be following it as long as CJ going to college and what not-- although that would make for a really great spin off... the wheels are turning-- but Cooper does get a second chance to make things right with his son, and the outcome, I'm hoping, is somewhat surprising. Until then...

• Like 1

but Cooper does get a second chance to make things right with his son, and the outcome, I'm hoping, is somewhat surprising. Until then...

The above gives me some hope! While I care for Cooper and his family, their dysfunctional relationships are sure trying as it seems he brings much on himself. I realize that life is not always neat, pretty or ideal and I guess I'm spoiled, but there are many times I just wanted to shake the bejeesus out of Coop.

Hey, I just wanted to announce that the next chapter is up and answer some questions while I'm here. Find Chapter 21 here. Bob, I completely understand your comment, where you're coming from, and agree with you. Having just seen my parents go through a pretty rough divorce, I'm sure I would have loved a say if things had taken a turn when I was in high school (being 23 at the moment, I can still remember walking on egg shells around them when I was younger because I knew our house of cards was about to topple over). That being said, I think Cooper's actions were in line with his character. One of the things I've tried to show in him is that he's willing to take responsibility for what he did, no matter how it ends up hurting him in the end. I feel like he truly thought sparing Devon and Liz the blame for the Chicago move would be easier for everyone, including CJ. It's no doubt the kid loves his dad and would have resented his mom had Coop not taken the fall for it. At least that's what I was trying to paint. Rest assured, this isn't the end of that portion of the story by a mile (well, maybe a mile). I won't be following it as long as CJ going to college and what not-- although that would make for a really great spin off... the wheels are turning-- but Cooper does get a second chance to make things right with his son, and the outcome, I'm hoping, is somewhat surprising. Until then...

It seems to me for an academic who supposedly has some greater knowledge and understanding of human behavior, he certainly doesn't apply it in his life with his family. I know that knowing something intellectually and being able to apply it in one's own life doesn't always happen. I do think that his refusal to talk with CJ about it before he decided was pretty disrespectful of his son. There is much that I find to dislike about Coop, but I guess that this move has gotten the strongest reaction from me. I was glad to hear you say that he may have another opportunity for redemption and possible reconciliation with CJ. Needless to say, I fully agree with Daddydavek.

Now I am wondering how you are going to deal with Morgan messing up their lives in a way that is believable in terms of the behavior of his character. Death seems to be the only solution. We wil see.

I almost wonder if you wouldn't have written for CJ to stay with Cooper had it not been for so many complaints. :P Not that I'm accusing you of anything... ;)

So there's not much left, huh? That makes me wonder if Bob's last post shouldn't be filed under "Be careful what you wish for..." :(

I, much like a SWAT team, do not negotiate with terrorists readers. Kidding. The intention was always to have at least one of his kids stay with Coop.

The goal was to not make it too easy on him though. I've decided I'm not teasing a single thing about the last chapter. Not even a title name. Stay tuned :)

What?? There's only one left now?? There's something you let slip. ;)

I don't know if it really turned out to be "not that easy". It does seem like, after all the emotional onslaught he was put through...even as far as the end of the last chapter, it seems like CJ wants nothing to do with him. Then...just like that, Devon's handing him over. Emotionally it couldn't have been that easy...but from a timing standpoint, it does feel like it was. Carrying the resolution out over two chapters might've felt less sudden.

MJ, I totally get what you're saying; it might have come on a little sudden. I decided to do it this way after reading the last three chapters back to back and seeing just how down Coop was. I really did want to get at least that portion resolved in the latest installment. I actually pulled from the next chapter (I split what was supposed to be the penultimate chapter into two, putting part of it with this last update and the rest in next week's chapter... if that makes any sense). In any case, I felt like our guy Cooper had been through enough.

Also, no emoticons that time? I feel jipped.

MJ, I totally get what you're saying; it might have come on a little sudden. I decided to do it this way after reading the last three chapters back to back and seeing just how down Coop was. I really did want to get at least that portion resolved in the latest installment. I actually pulled from the next chapter (I split what was supposed to be the penultimate chapter into two, putting part of it with this last update and the rest in next week's chapter... if that makes any sense). In any case, I felt like our guy Cooper had been through enough.

Also, no emoticons that time? I feel jipped.

That almost suggests there's still a bit more to come on this front in the next chapter, in which case I'm wondering what there is left to say. Even what was given in this chapter, though - it does makes those last few chapters seem like a complete waste of time of bad feelings in retrospect. I guess it wouldn't quite seem that way if the rest of the picture really is in the next one as you said. (We know what made Devon come around - but why didn't she try to persuade Cooper sooner, which would've effectively avoided all that?)

No emoticons last time? You missed my wink at the beginning, boy-o! :P (And there's an emoticon right there. Happy now? :P)

This chapter already seemed a bit long - would've practically been a "double chapter" if you'd put the next one here, too! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Le sigh.

Sometimes I wonder if even an imminent risk of getting killed would be enough to keep Cooper from doing stupid, impulsive things. :P

...and I felt like it would be more fun this way.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure you did. ;):whistle:

oh oh oh oh!!

I forgot to mention in the review... BUT...

i LOVE the reappearance of the 'Sir' in the Wriggenter dynamics! :P

although i dont see that happening, am i REALLY that pathetic that i am still holding out hope as a Wriggenter fan? :P

I remember the very first appearance of Kyle and i remember thinking that it was more that just a 'List' entry!

**sighs**

Frosty.... still waiting on that T-shirt tho! lol

I hate to say don't hold out hope, but I guess I have to. I was hoping this last scene with them would show that they'll always have a special bond that goes above and beyond friends or lovers. In a way, I envy coop. A best friend in spencer, a role model in bass, someone who loves him unconditionally in Kyle, and then a lover in chase. We could all wish to be so lucky...everything else withstanding, of course.

I sometimes wonder why I am reading this because I no longer have sympathy for Coop. I take that back, I guess that I do. He does make everything more complicated than necessary and more difficult for himself. For a supposedly bright guy with a doctorate, he can make some dumb mistakes. He isn't alone on this. We all do some things that seemed to make sense of the time and then ask ourselves, "What was I thinking?"

You must be doing something right though to keep people reading. Posted Image

I feel like this could use an epilogue...even a short one. I also feel like you managed to write this ending like...somehow like Chase was secondary to everything else that happened in this last chapter.

Quite honestly, I find myself thinking... "Huh? That's it?"

Well I, for one, wish that you WOULD go on writing about the trials of these guys forever!

I won't pretend to be an experienced literary critic, but I found the sutiations and relationships to be quite believable, and the story thoroughly engaging. I loved it, beginning to end, even more than I did "The List". Writing in the first person isn't the easiest task, and I commend you for having done a masterful job. Your writing skill is head-and-shoulders above ninety-five percent of the authors who write for free on the story sites; you're definitely one of my favorites. I'm really looking forward to what you'll come up with next!

JTed

• Like 1

The ending was kind of abrupt, but it would have been incredibly cliched to end the story with Chase and Cooper getting married, so I'm glad it ended the way it did.

:lol:

I'm with ya there! :P

but... think abt them actually hitching a tent ;)

lol

Soooo... epilogue to come??? :D :D

^_^