Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

The Joy of Author Access

The coolest thing about GayAuthors.org is the ability to interact with the author and get their thinking on scenes, characters and direction of the story as it is happening (assuming you are lucky enough to find the site and story as it is unfolding). I was thinking about this as I read one of my James Patterson novels. For the briefest moment, the thought flashed through my head, "I need to go online and ask him..." when just as quickly I realized I am reading a novel in book form, not a GA story. And I was sad. There were so many nagging details in the book, and other Patterson books I've read, that it bothers me I can't get answers.

And that makes me appreciate GA in general, and authors like Mark, all the more. I sincerely believe that Mark is a much better author than James Patterson and it is ironic that Patterson makes millions while Mark gets bupkis. It is like in pro bull riding when the announcer says, "let's give a hand to Rowdy, it is the only pay he'll get today" when a cowboy doesn't last the 8 seconds. Obviously there isn't a huge commercial market for CAP as it is written, but a few tweaks and it could be another Thorn Birds or Upstairs Downstairs.

Tim, I agree, it is great to be able to interact with the author - also to see the "creative process" - as someone who writes ONLY for their own amusement, it is interesting to read others and how they do it, which somehow feeds its way into my own musings....

I agree with the comercial market for CAP - however I think the "tweaks" would need to be in the areas of the sometimes graphic sex. While I think such scenes could have enlivened "Thorn Birds" (sorry but I find CAP much better than that), the one gay sex scene in Up/Down Stairs (a visiting Count and a footman? tho' that sounds" Downton ABbey" like...) comes no where near Mark's writing!! And CAP with "suitable for an american public" sex??????

I had the same thing the other day. A friend sent me a book and while I was reading at the end of every chapter, I kept trying to leave comments. I had questions and it felt so odd not to be able to post my thoughts on the story or PM the author.

That is one thing that I love about GA, the authors activity. I like that they respond to comments and questions, chat online and even play around on the games and humor forums. The interaction is enjoyable! Posted Image

While I agree that the CAP series could be edited to make it more mainstream and thus marketable, I've enjoyed it just as it is. I first joined Mark's Yahoo group and came to GA from there. Seems like his readers are legion here. Many of the observations, comments and criticisms are funny, frivolous, whiny, and some are even petty while others are fawning, complimentary and complaining. Getting his insight and feedback to all of that demonstrates his intellect, patience and I dare say cunning. My gut feeling is that he has purposely set-up some controversial situations to see the response. But that is what good authors do, they suck in their readers and manipulate them. The most effective ones do it without the reader consciously being aware of it. In this venue, filled with writers, (who are all critics) being called out even gently is a given.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..