Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

.I can see Will being really conflicted in how he handles this; he is going to want to tell Jeff that his father is alive and well and living in Hawaii but he can't be the one that makes that decision.  If Will wants to be treated like an adult; then he is going to have to act like one.  I can see Brad having to involve JP in reaching Will on this.  I do think that Jeff will find out about Lark/Scott but only after Lark/Scott is advised and some discussion on how safe it will be for Jeff to actually be made aware of the facts.  Alexandra C. is still alive and still very wealthy; it would not do for her to discover that Lark was still among the living, plus she might try and strike at Lark through his son. 

Just when I am not sure how another story in the CAP saga will measure up, you go and do something as great as this; Mark, I really believe your talent is truly remarkable. 

"but he can't be the one to make that decision"

That was kind of the point of my post, by the way the character has been presented, I would say Will thinks he qualified or entitled to make that decision and by himself if he has to. If he disagrees with Brad who says they shouldn't tell Jeff to protect Scott/Lark then he will go ahead and tell Jeff in defiance of someone more mature with more experience. I do think they will tell Jeff, but they may ask Lark first or tell Lark first. That wasn't the point of the musings, the point was will Will mature to a point where he recognizes that with age does come wisdom and knowledge.

And we don't need anecdotal ramblings from everyone on the immature, stupid 50 year olds they know, nor the incredibly sage 23 year olds they know. I know I am wiser now than when I was 18, wiser than when I was 22, wiser than when I was 30 and I recognize I will be wiser still when I am old like Arbour :P

This was Mark's reply to me about Will in the review section:

And I think your descriptions of Kyle and Tony are spot on, and pretty much reflect Will's own thoughts as he reflected them to Stef.  If Will is going to be involved with those guys, he is asking for trouble, but he does deserve to be treated better.

I think you are responsible for how people who are friends/lovers treat you. If Tony only comes to you when he is horned up for sex, but treats you like a pariah in public, you are the one who is responsible to either force Tony to change his behavior or stop having sex with him, no matter how much you enjoy it. That is the mature, responsible way to act.

Ditto for Kyle who likes sex with you better than his ostensible boyfriend. If you don't like that he treats you like that famous Midwest convenience store, Kum & Go, then you have to let Kyle know you won't be the other woman. Either you accept sex on Kyle's terms or you change the terms, those are your options. Again, the mature, responsible way to handle things.

• Like 2

Those who are saying that Will shouldn't be the one to tell Jeff should probably accept that that's exactly what's likely to happen - I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the first things to happen next. It just wouldn't be "Paternity" if Will didn't blurt it out to him. :P

And we don't need anecdotal ramblings from everyone on the immature, stupid 50 year olds they know, nor the incredibly sage 23 year olds they know. I know I am wiser now than when I was 18, wiser than when I was 22, wiser than when I was 30 and I recognize I will be wiser still when I am old like Arbour :P

LOL  I really got a laugh out of that line.   I just hope our esteemed elderly author doesn't take umbrage....

Those who are saying that Will shouldn't be the one to tell Jeff should probably accept that that's exactly what's likely to happen - I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the first things to happen next. It just wouldn't be "Paternity" if Will didn't blurt it out to him. :P

Based on my recollections of the times Will has been in Hawaii, Will knows about the dangers that threaten Lark and I doubt he would blurt out who Jeff's father is.   I think he may forcefully discuss it with Brad however.....

• Like 1

I think older guys are pretty sexy. Check out

...that is one sexy older dude. He's not a young buck, but there's just something about his air of experience and the way he moves that makes him so much more interesting than some young 22-year old Abercrombie model with no body hair and unlined skin.

I like getting older...I definitely wouldn't go back to 22 for anything. 25, maybe. The best part about getting older is that it becomes less important to try and be "cool" and impress people and fit in. And I'm totally looking forward to when I start getting my first wrinkles and the like, and stop looking cardable. Getting carded is so annoying when you're almost 30.

Anyway, I agree with you about Will. I mean, I get he's 14, but come on...if you're spreading your legs for every guy that so much as smiles at you, it's really difficult for them to take you seriously or look at you as anything more than an easy fuck. The only real "friends with benefits" situation Will has had that hasn't gone south would be with Jeff. I don't think it's really come through to Will yet that sex has not just physical benefits, but also some major emotional consequences.

Edited by methodwriter85

Which seems to be why we're seeing what will eventually lead to him learning that very thing in the hardest possible way right now...and there's also the opportunity for "him and Jeff" to go south even if (obviously) not for that reason. :P

Edited by MJ85

Well, the point of my post is that if Will does just blurt it out; then all the hard won respect and how others have viewed him as maturing will be for naught.  I think that Will has matured greatly over the last several months but if he can't control himself and understand that other and maybe more important considerations are involved; then maybe Brad, the family, and the judge was wrong about granting him his emancipation.   

Based on my recollections of the times Will has been in Hawaii, Will knows about the dangers that threaten Lark and I doubt he would blurt out who Jeff's father is.   I think he may forcefully discuss it with Brad however.....

I fully expect and would even hope that Will, Brad, and those involved discuss this forcefully, honestly, and with a look at what is best for all.  I just think or more honestly hope, that Will has matured to the point that he does realize and take into account how this will impact not just Jeff but everyone involved.  As I stated earlier, ABC is still alive and still very wealthy and that can bring a lot of pain down on everyone involved if a mistake is made.  I hope that you are right and Will does know and understand the dangers involved in this scenario.

"but he can't be the one to make that decision"

That was kind of the point of my post, by the way the character has been presented, I would say Will thinks he qualified or entitled to make that decision and by himself if he has to. If he disagrees with Brad who says they shouldn't tell Jeff to protect Scott/Lark then he will go ahead and tell Jeff in defiance of someone more mature with more experience. I do think they will tell Jeff, but they may ask Lark first or tell Lark first. That wasn't the point of the musings, the point was will Will mature to a point where he recognizes that with age does come wisdom and knowledge.

Well, sorry, I really had not taken time to read any of the post before me when I came in and posted what I did.  I do agree with your post but what I am hoping is that Will has matured enough over the last several months that he will realize that this is a decision that he is not fully qualified to make based on everything involved.  Part of growing and maturing is knowing when you can take the lead and when you have to follow.  Part of my post was really about my hoping that Will has reached the point where he is beginning to understand this and can step back and allow more experienced individuals to take the lead and make the final decision.  I am not saying that Will cannot make his thoughts, feelings, and arguments known, he should; but they should not be the deciding factor in this action.

• Like 2

Well the last chapter of Paternity is up and it ends beautifully. 

For all those who speculated that Will would shoot off his mouth, eat your humble pie. 

Thanks Mark for a wonderful book in the CAP series.  Hopefully, you will let us in on your plans for the next book soon!

• Like 1

I just thought this chapter and story were both scary, crazy, and wonderful.  I think in a weird way that is what makes life so great; you just really don't ever know what is going to happen. 

I thought the scene at the funeral and afterward in the car between Will and Brad was so well written and it just brought a certain symmetry to the story.  We got a glimpse of one of the definning moments in Brad's life and how it shaped him.  While I don't think this will necessary be the same for Will, he was able to experience an event that forces all of those touched by it to take a look at their own lives. 

The final section in Hawaii was really well done as well.  I thought that Will showed great restraint and Brad trusted him enough to let him know what was going on not just with him but Lark/Scott as well.  Scott seemed to read and make a really quick decision, this was the only thing that I would question the quickness of it; but I can see him going with his gut feeling, plus the fact that Jeff has been accepted to such an extent within Brad's families lives.  The fact that Stef and Brad and everyone else trust and supports Jeff would have to count for a great deal to Scott. 

I was also glad to see that Ryan is going to have a way of staying in the story and maybe getting a boost as well; now if only Alistair will turn out to be someone's long lost nephew... 

Great story, great writing, and a great time; thanks Mark for letting us into this world you have created...

• Like 2

Given that Mark averaged four days, eighteen hours, forty minutes and forty-two seconds between chapters on Paternity, and it was only two days, seventeen hours and two minutes between the end of Millennium and the debut of Poor Man's Son, and four days, nine hours and thirty-nine minutes between the end of Poor Man's Son and debut of Paternity, I expect the new book to debut sometime around late afternoon on this coming Tuesday, at the latest.  :-D

Mark, words can't express my deep appreciation of your talent as a writer, how thankful I am to have such wonderfully enthralling stories to read and enjoy, nor the sinful pleasure I find in having this one little escape from my mundane existence to look forward to.  Thanks and keep up the great work!

I was also glad to see that Ryan is going to have a way of staying in the story and maybe getting a boost as well; now if only Alistair will turn out to be someone's long lost nephew...

Nah, I don't think that's necessary. Just send JJ back to Harvard-Westlake for his 10th grade year and continue the friendship he has with Alistair and by extension, Will. I'm sure any tutor they get JJ would impress upon JJ the importance of education, and I think from a character-standpoint, JJ will eventually come to the realization that he needs a balance so he doesn't end up like Shane. Going back to school and proving that he CAN do the work would do wonders for his self-image, I think.

I did like the parallels drawn to Billy also dying at 15, although I was wondering if Mark was going to kill off JJ at 15, it makes sense that it was Shane instead. Shane kind of serves as the mirror to JJ, to show him where he could've gone without people like Will to give a shit about him.

Of course...JJ doesn't turn 16 until three months after 9/11, so the "family member dead at 15" could still happen with him....

So now what would be so wrong with jeff and will, besides the age gap, ending up together?

Because Jeff would wind up a registered sex offender if the wrong people found about it?

I did find it ironic that given all the instances of statutory rape encounters in CAP, the one time someone's called out in it, it wasn't even actually statutory rape because the age of consent in Ohio is 16 and Kristin Hendrickson was 17.

In Will's case, the age of consent is 18 in California, and he's hooking up with guys that are at least four or five years older than him, which is just out of the range of leniency that a judge might have taken on a guy he got with.

I do like Jeff and I think when Will's 16 and he's 20, it'll be less of a big deal.

Will's incredibly lucky that "sexting" isn't going to become popular for another five or six years, or else he probably would have gotten a LOT of people in trouble with that. (Possible future storyline with Courtney Clerrault, Ace's daughter?)

Given that Mark averaged four days, eighteen hours, forty minutes and forty-two seconds between chapters on Paternity, and it was only two days, seventeen hours and two minutes between the end of Millennium and the debut of Poor Man's Son, and four days, nine hours and thirty-nine minutes between the end of Poor Man's Son and debut of Paternity, I expect the new book to debut sometime around late afternoon on this coming Tuesday, at the latest.  :-D

Hey, I'm curious to see if you could figure this out...if you average out how time has passed in CAP years vs. real years since Mark stopped having full-year jumps with Bloodlines...when JJ hits his 20th birthday, about how old will I be? (We have the same birthdate, only he's currently 15 years and 1 month old and I'm currently 27 years and 3 months old.)

I wanna say 32.

Edited by methodwriter85

Spoiler alert:

I was disappointed that Will's girl friend did not pop up at the end and day "I'm pregnant and you are the father"

But this is CAP. The kid won't show up until he or she is a teenager! :D (Jeff, Matt)

• Like 1

Spoiler alert:

I was disappointed that Will's girl friend did not pop up at the end and day "I'm pregnant and you are the father"

But this is CAP. The kid won't show up until he or she is a teenager! :D (Jeff, Matt)

I really disagree on that. I think Rainne as written was a pretty straight-forward girl. If she had gotten pregnant, she would have informed Will of her decision about she wanted to do. And "punishing the girl who enjoys sex" with an unwanted pregnancy is such a horrible trope.

Hey, I'm curious to see if you could figure this out...if you average out how time has passed in CAP years vs. real years since Mark stopped having full-year jumps with Bloodlines...when JJ hits his 20th birthday, about how old will I be? (We have the same birthdate, only he's currently 15 years and 1 month old and I'm currently 27 years and 3 months old.)

I wanna say 32.

By my best guestimation we should be celebrating JJ's 20th birthday somewhere around February 6th, 2023.  I guess that will make you about 37 years, 3½ months then?

Damn. I'd be 37. (It'd actually be 37 and 2 months. My birthday is December 7th, same as JJ's.) So you really think it'd take us until February 2023 to reach December 2005 in CAP, huh? I wonder what things will be like...

I'll have completely gray hair by then, when I'm 37. Still struggling to pay off my student loan bills, but content in a small apartment with good friends while living in a medium-sized city...possibly a college town. No husband or kids, but I'll be okay with that, despite the nagging from my sisters who have 5 kids between them and can't possibly understand not wanting to start a family.

How do you guys picture yourself in 2023? Personally, I see Blue as a content 39-year old with a husband and 2.5 kids in a nice Los Angeles suburb, you know the whole white picket fence deal. Sharon is a contented grandmother chasing around happy toddlers in her house during weekend visits. Mark at 60 is semi-retired and spends his off-time traveling the world and writing. Maybe on a small personal yacht? Tim at 46, I bet, will have written several books about being a gay Conservative in California. Maybe he'll join city council or something.

Edited by methodwriter85

I want more of Wade. :(

Do we know the title or the narrators yet?

Mark should start twittering... 

I think Wade will be back to narrate, but not the next story.

I am going to bet on Jeff and Will as our protagonists, partly because I think Mark really likes Will as a character and Jeff lets more action shift back to LA with Will moving to the Bay Area.

To lend some perspective on Will, which is easy to forget, is that in CAP time it hasn't even been 6 months yet since his kidnapping, his naked pole dance, his love affair/heartbreak with Berto, the raft trip, the meltdown and running away, the skating competition, the emancipation, board meeting and the rest...... just because it has been two years in human time, in the magical world of CAP, it has been a very short time and Will has come a long ways in a very short time, maybe unnaturally short, but that is the authors prerogative and probably the only way it could have been written to where Mark wants to get. I assume he knows where he wants to go in general with these characters down the road, the details need to be filled in and fleshed out, but he has to the characters to a certain place before he can move them to the next level and I think that is part of what we saw as Paternity ended....

To lend some perspective on Will, which is easy to forget, is that in CAP time it hasn't even been 6 months yet since his kidnapping, his naked pole dance, his love affair/heartbreak with Berto, the raft trip, the meltdown and running away, the skating competition, the emancipation, board meeting and the rest......

Seriously, that is one eventful six-month period in his life. I hope Will gets at least a couple of months of normality before Mark starts injecting insane drama into his life once again. Just let him be a kid enjoying his 9th grade year at Menlo for a bit.

I do enjoy Will as a character, but having him as a front-burner in three straight stories would be a bit much, no? Mark didn't even do that for JP or Stefan. The other thing is that if you give Will another story right after this one, you've got to completely undo the good place that Will's currently at, and I'd like him to enjoy his happy ending for at least the duration of another story.

That's a reason why soaps, when they were good, didn't keep even their lead characters on front-burners all the time. And you also run the risk of running out of fresh stories to give the character if they're always kept on front-burners. That's what happened with the Sonny/Carly/Jason trio on General Hospital, who were kept front and center all the time for the 2000's.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..