What about an East Coast Meet Up?

comicfan

Yeah - I don't drive in DC but the Metro works just fine. Used it this past weekend to see The Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center.

Plan a date for May or June 2012. That way there's a chance the weather will be nice.

haha, I'd have to see what the state of lil' Q is before I commit. I'm not sure we're up for non-family house guests just yet, but we might by the time this is planned. [Though I suspect a certain someone and her son have first dibs on staying here if they come.]

I was joking ;)

....I wouldn't want to impose and seriously have no idea where I will be in 6 months :P

lol!

DC is fine with me, though I could give you guys a tour of Boston. We might not be as busy as New York, sleazy as Jersey :P , or classy as DC :D , but we have our moments. We also have Championship teams of Basketball, Baseball, Football, and Hockey within the last 10 years. Plus, you don't leave Boston without trying some of our clam chowda!

I've been to DC several times, but I would love to go again. Have they cleaned up Dupont Circle, since the early 2000's.

lol!

Have they cleaned up Dupont Circle, since the early 2000's.

Pretty much it's still the same, but then I didn't think it was that dirty. It, like all circles in DC is federal property. The US Park Police have jurisdiction and the department of the interior maintains it - in theory.

Woo Hoo DC.

SOOOO

When now? I'd say late no sooner than late April - if you do it during cherry blossom season you won't get rooms. and before July 4th - too hot after that to be enjoyable.

I'd say early June would be ideal, colleges will be out and it - again in theory - won't be too hot.

My only reservation about DC is the hotel & food prices and traffic. Perhaps somewhere near DC but away from the congested areas >< (Maryland, Delaware, even Pennsylvania?) The prices will be a big factor in whether I go or not.

Edited by Jeff Redsim

I'm all for a DC meet! It's only 30-40 mins away from me.

And to, Jeffs point food prices in DC depending on where you eat arent too high there at a good rate and hotels if you book early enough you should be ok but you could also if anyone gets a hotel in Baltimore we can probably carpool down.

Either way i'm down for DC or Philly. Boston I can see if flight plans would be good for that trip.

My only reservation about DC is the hotel & food prices and traffic. Perhaps somewhere near DC but away from the congested areas >< (Maryland, Delaware, even Pennsylvania?) The prices will be a big factor in whether I go or not.

Jeff

I think having it too far away from the city sorta defeats the purpose of the meet up - i.e. things to do other than sit around the hotel and stare at each other. That said, I agree we don't want to stay down town DC. There are quite a few hotels around where I live - next to the Univ of Maryland - that are not 5 star but are not dumps either. There is plenty to eat - it's a college town after all AND it's a 15 minute metro ride to the tourist areas - hell you don't even have to change trains to get to most of them either - it's the Green Line that goes right to the National Mall and stops on both sides where the majority of the Museums and monuments are.

But as I said, once we get a date, I can get to looking at places to stay.

As Prince said, food isn't really any more or less in DC than elsewhere - you've cheap eats and pricey fare, just depends on what you want. All you need is someone who knows where to go and what's good.

• Site Moderator

In some of the past get together's, there's also been amusement parks close by. Around the Philly area, there's a Six Flags park in NJ, Dorney Park and Wild Water Kingdom in Allentown, PA, and Hershey Park at Hershey PA. And for the kid in us all, there's Sesame Place in Willow Grove, PA.

There is a Six Flag - Six Flag's America - right out side DC in Maryland - if that was something folks wanted. See DC rocks so much more than Philly - [i grew up in Philly, so I'm not a hater, just being honest.] Plus the Naval Academy - and the cadets - aren't too far off either. :P

LOL. Sorry gang. I started this thing and I think DC works just fine. As for prices. Well some of us are coming down. I'm sure some of you are friends with others on here. They might want to share a room - needless to say a cut in the price of going down. But that will all come into play when we start talking dates. Anyone have suggestions for those. A lot of what the group can do over a three day weekend will depend on when we decide to do this. As long as it is after tax time I'm good. Then I will have whatever money Uncle Sam decides to hand back to help me pay for it. Beyond that, I'm pretty open.

• Site Administrator

I have been meaning to get back down to DC. This would be a great excuse. June would be best. I'm locked up in classes until the end of May and can't get away until after that.

Time the DC get together right and Trebs and I MIGHT make it. We'll be in Charlotte in August for the Dem National Convention. It'd be nice to do another DC get together. Last time was January 2009 while we were in Washington for um...the festivities.

Then again, we seem to end up meeting with some members every couple of months for dinner in one city or another here in California.

May or June? Anyone with a date?

If we go with June

Weekend of June 9 &10 or June 16 &17 or June 23 & 24.

I'd prefer June too, BUT if it's may avoid the weekend of May 12 & 13 - Mother's day Memorial day might be a good weekend as a lot of locals bolt for the beach so it might be rather empty which would help with room rates. That would be a compromise between may and June.

Unless anyone else has another suggestion, why don't we add a poll and let folks votes, most votes wins -

Oh Dan and Trebs - If you venture up this way after going to Charlotte, where I'm going next weekend for the parent's 50th wedding anniversary - let us know and we'll meet you for dinner - just be prepared to deal with a 11 month old. :P

Andy

Oh I just found this thread and WOW!! I'm game! My sister lives in Falls Church which is just mins. from there, well, with traffic it could be three hours but meh! Just set dates and I'll be there if ya'll don't mind this old woman...

We need to move this to North Carolina. So I won't have to travel and stuff and stuff. Posted Image

Lol, I'd be up for it! If I could actually do it depends on the time, place and the money. I'm an extremely cheap person but DC doesn't seem to be at all far from Charlotte.