Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

You guys think up better plot lines than I do. Posted Image

Hood was first an Irish peer, so that's probably why he knew of Kingsdale. It was quite common for someone like Hood to pull strings for a friend, in this case, perhaps an Irish judge or someone, to help a young peer try and regain his fortunes. And with Granger's reputation for prize money, an appointment to Bacchante would seem to be a good match. I can see other sons of peers (like Clifton) or magnates (like Llewellyn) furious that they weren't allowed to go on this voyage, despite the risks.

As for Maidstone, I think Granger said it best. When guineas and pounds are on the line, all bets are off.

Nah, we just have learned how you think. Why make something straight forward when you can twist it up to something unexpected. CAP is a perfect example of ow well you do that. So we tend to be surprised when something comes at us straight forward.

I can indeed now see why Hood would request a place for him on an adventurous smaller prize wielding vessel like Bacchante and under the supervision of Granger. It will be interesting to see how Hood and Kingsdale react to each other if they meet at court. Kingsdale now being presentable. He will no doubt feel awkward because it was Granger and and not e, Hood who thought to outfit him and present him to his sovereign. It will be a bit awkward for all three, Hood, Granger and Kingsdale. It might be the first appearance of how the tutelage from the Earl has paid off. And just what will he be teaching the young lad in just a few days? It was an odd offer for the Earl. Considering how little they had to do with rearing their own young one on one. That's what they had staff for after all. (It always amazed me that they were always treated like guests when they showed up. Making an appointment to see one's father or visiting only during hours appropriate to the Etiquette of the times for instance) So I find it a little odd that Granger's father would make such an offer. I mean it was important to make sure he would not embarrass the family and all. But I would think Granger a little jealous that Lord Kingsdale should get such personal time and attention from his father when any gesture of true affection moves Granger almost to tears. That shows how rare a thing it was. Like Grangers comment in the begining of The Gun Room, he wondered if his fathers face ever changed expression even during orgasm.

And again, Maidstone being on board is really going to cramp their style. Walls are way too thin. Unless they can put him on the other end of the ship. Perhaps with the cattle. Hmmm, perhaps Maidstone would like that . . . Posted Image I can't imagine him wanting to go on this trip seeing how little love the Captain already has for him. He has to think it will not be the best voyage for 6 months. He could have asked for a different ship or made travel plans himself. Knowing that Granger is going to deal with his brother it just doesn't make sense that he would opt for this discomfort unless he had other motives.

Just my thoughts on it.

Well, you know about half the men on the ship perished on their trips to the tropics; wouldn't it just be terrible if Maidstone was one of them that didn't make it...

Or as I speculated in the reviews, wouldn't it be ironic if he had to rely on the skills of the good Doctor he so detests?

Or as I speculated in the reviews, wouldn't it be ironic if he had to rely on the skills of the good Doctor he so detests?

Likewise it would not be good for the doctor if Maidstone were to die under his care.
  • Like 1

It was an odd offer for the Earl. Considering how little they had to do with rearing their own young one on one. That's what they had staff for after all. (It always amazed me that they were always treated like guests when they showed up. Making an appointment to see one's father or visiting only during hours appropriate to the Etiquette of the times for instance) So I find it a little odd that Granger's father would make such an offer.

I do not see the Earl's offer as odd. Nor have I seen the "problems" you have indicated. Granger often dropped in on his parents unannounced, such as during breakfast when he recieved the King's summons to appear for his rise to peerage. Or at midnight when he arrived back in England shortly after Caroline had moved the household. Or when the Earl sent Bertie the family ring after it was decided Granger would be sailing to the East Indies. In each of those cases Granger neither had appointments with his parents nor was the hour consider normal visiting hours. In addition, while I have always beeen welcome in parents house (when they were still alive) since I moved out I would usually but not always inform them of plans in advance. That I considered to be common courtesy. As far as maids and nannys raising them as children yes that would limit contact during the early stages of their lives, but that seems to have disappeared when Granger reached his teen-age years (with is the current case of the young Baron).

• Like 3

You guys are all concentrating on the plot. I didn't get past the 1st Paragraph.

The latest chapter briefly mentions Lord Henry Paulet, who was later Vice-admiral Paulet. Famous for being dismissed from the service, and then reinstated under clemancy by George III, he was a famous eccentric with a fascinating story all of his own.

I do hope we run into him again ...

You guys are all concentrating on the plot. I didn't get past the 1st Paragraph.

The latest chapter briefly mentions Lord Henry Paulet, who was later Vice-admiral Paulet. Famous for being dismissed from the service, and then reinstated under clemancy by George III, he was a famous eccentric with a fascinating story all of his own.

I thought he was interesting too!

Eccentricities? We LOVE Eccentricities. Care to share what flavors?

Eccentricities? We LOVE Eccentricities. Care to share what flavors?

Once, when he wanted to visit London (from Spithead, I think), he was refused permission and told by his admiral that he was allowed only as far as his barge could go. So he had the barge loaded into his carriage and took it to London.

He also had a rather nice baritone singing voice, though apparently he was much more fond of dirty sailors songs than the contents of the parish hymnal.

Once, when he wanted to visit London (from Spithead, I think), he was refused permission and told by his admiral that he was allowed only as far as his barge could go. So he had the barge loaded into his carriage and took it to London.

He also had a rather nice baritone singing voice, though apparently he was much more fond of dirty sailors songs than the contents of the parish hymnal.

Definitely my kind of guy. More or less.

Ok, I have to find a biography. That is tooo cool. Gotta love an excentric who can live the letter of the law. Oh how I would have loved to be a fly on the wall on that one. OMG tooo funny.

Thanks ls so much for sharing that much of him. OMG, I laughed out loud on that one. Can you just imagine!?

Marks story’s fire the imagination with ‘daring do’, sailing the high seas shagging, pillaging and plundering with our fellow Jack Tar’s and our Aristocratic Captain; Ah, so romantic! Ah, for such a life!

HMS Victory is still in the dock yard here in the UK (undergoing a refit now). I was on her a couple of months ago with my partner. We had sex in the Ward Room Head, a bit like a mile high club but on the one and only current ‘Flag Ship’ of the RN, not far from where Nelly kissed Hardy before he died. We are both ex RN so it was fun ;-) Gx

• Like 1

Marks story’s fire the imagination with ‘daring do’, sailing the high seas shagging, pillaging and plundering with our fellow Jack Tar’s and our Aristocratic Captain; Ah, so romantic! Ah, for such a life!

HMS Victory is still in the dock yard here in the UK (undergoing a refit now). I was on her a couple of months ago with my partner. We had sex in the Ward Room Head, a bit like a mile high club but on the one and only current ‘Flag Ship’ of the RN, not far from where Nelly kissed Hardy before he died. We are both ex RN so it was fun ;-) Gx

That is fantastic! Good for you! I think Hardy would have enjoyed being with you (if rumors are to be believed).

What a great chapter... The only disappointment was realising that due to the timescales involved in the trip to the West Indies via south America, Granger would not be available for the real action that starts around 9 months after the date in the last chapter. The Mediterranean becomes a battlefield, with Nelson re-entering the sea after a British absence... Some spectacular victories such as the battle of the Nile culminating in a reassertion of British navel superiority...

I'm sure Mark will make it up to us though with a tantalising story that looks like it will last many more chapters yet!

West

What a great chapter... The only disappointment was realising that due to the timescales involved in the trip to the West Indies via south America, Granger would not be available for the real action that starts around 9 months after the date in the last chapter. The Mediterranean becomes a battlefield, with Nelson re-entering the sea after a British absence... Some spectacular victories such as the battle of the Nile culminating in a reassertion of British navel superiority...

I'm sure Mark will make it up to us though with a tantalising story that looks like it will last many more chapters yet!

West

Of course, I hadn't thought of that at all. (wink)

This was a great chapter, I thought. You've got me so curious now as to who is behind all this manipulation. As Yoda says, "in time all will be revealed...", or something like that, so I suppose we will have to wait.Posted Image

Great stuff Mark! Thanks!

" Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first we practice to deceive ".... Well, you just have to wonder what type of web Granger will be sailing into when he reaches the Far East... Don't you know Maidstone is going to go ballistic when he reaches there and starts running things only to have Granger show up with the authority to order his replacement...

I forsee quite a few profitable occurences in Granger's trip to South America... Plus, this is a good way to tie in some scenes that involve Americans that can be used in future stories in this series...

Keep up the great work on this series, Mark; it really is the best series online ever...

" Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first we practice to deceive ".... Well, you just have to wonder what type of web Granger will be sailing into when he reaches the Far East... Don't you know Maidstone is going to go ballistic when he reaches there and starts running things only to have Granger show up with the authority to order his replacement...

I forsee quite a few profitable occurences in Granger's trip to South America... Plus, this is a good way to tie in some scenes that involve Americans that can be used in future stories in this series...

Keep up the great work on this series, Mark; it really is the best series online ever...

Especially if the Americans are using some of their big-ass frigates to help him out...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..