Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I just thought I'd post a comment here to thank all of you for reading Odyssey and posting reviews.Posted Image With only 13 chapters posted, it's already the 24th most read story on the site! Posted Image It would suck to work on these chapters and have no one read them. I'm very appreciative that you all make this even more rewarding! Posted Image

• Like 1

Couldn't sleep after all. :( I wonder just how many of those previous 23 are your creations too. ALL of them should be the answer.

Now, I loved him dropping the 24 pounder in the boat. And then the grape shot! I'll bet a sling shot would turn one of those deadly. Now, MR Kingsly! Just Grangers kind of favorite rescue victim. A peer down on his luck. I can't say I would buy him any pipes though. They sound like someone scrubbing a cat on an old washboard. However, I DID have the pleasure once of hearing the Flintstones theme song played on them. It was fitting somehow. But I suspect that he sold them along with everything else of value to help the estate. It'll be interesting to see how he restores this lads fortune and dignity without him feeling shame or embarrassment. But that's what Granger does best.

Still no word on Berties replacement. OR on Dr Jackson's Kingly pardon.

Hmmm, I wonder if Mr Kingsly might show his integrity by ignoring the sight when he walks in on Cavendish and Granger while they are in London. Perhaps he will help Winkler with the rats in the chartroom.after Winkler catches the peer peeking. Hmmm, or would that be peaking? That would redefine the term "sticky wicket"! (All of the UK just growned. :) )

I think they should recruit Iggy to deal with the mutineers. Then the Admiralty could just Iggy-Noire the situation all together. (Oh damn, I think I even got a groan out of Mark on that one.)

But things are definitely coming to a head. Anytime Granger makes "post Haste" in a "post chase" something big is about to pop up.

Now, the big question. "Why would there be a need for an extra midshipmen on this voyage?" Hmmmm, the possibilities. Well, that means he can afford to lose one and not be short on ships compliment. Perhaps Granger is going to capture a "fleet" of Indianmen loaded with spices and silk and is going to need a butt load of acting captains to guide them all back to England. Perhaps the Baron won't be cut out for the sea but will be shrewd in business and Bertie will work out a deal so they both come back with fortunes. Hmmm, but so young. 13ish and already saddled with an impoverished Baronage.Well if the 19 year old moves up when Calvert takes a prize home then the whole food chain changes. One midshipman becomes an acting Lt and that makes the ships compliment right.

And Mark, how could you not comment on his accent. He Must have one. As well as an Irish Temper to match it. Hmm, Irish temper. perhaps someone should polish the caronades. Posted Image

• Like 1

Another great chapter, I don't know if you can write a bad one Mark... I am so glad we are getting a few new faces aboard the ship. I can't wait to delve more deeply into each of them, so to speak...

I can't wait to see what type of interest Granger takes in the Baron Kingsdale. This would not be the first time that Granger had taken an interest in a boy from his class without support. I really think this maybe a very interesting and ongoing storyline not just in this book but beyond in the Bridgemont saga. I am sure that each of the midshipman will get a moment in the sun but this is the one that I think will stay around the longest.

I still think whomever is choosen to replace Bertie will hold the key to how the tone of the voyage is set up and plays out. Something else I thought of is that when Bertie comes back so will Lord Chartley. I really think having him and Calvert both aboard at the same time will be very interesting.... Hopefully Chartley will accidently knock Calvert overboard and no one will hear him calling for help, just kidding sort of...

I really would doubt that we find out anything about the Dr. Jackson's pardon before they return. Even with Granger and others working behind the scene, I doubt it can be done quickly enough to occur before they set sail. This is something that will be dealt with later or accomplished when they return.

Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the next installment.....

• Like 2

I just thought I'd post a comment here to thank all of you for reading Odyssey and posting reviews.Posted Image With only 13 chapters posted, it's already the 24th most read story on the site! Posted Image It would suck to work on these chapters and have no one read them. I'm very appreciative that you all make this even more rewarding! Posted Image

Naw, what's rewarding is when we get another chapter! It's Hornblower like, but not, because of the sex thing you've so graciously included for our viewing pleasure! It's also one of my favorite genres so I really look forward to each chapter. You are one of the best, Mark. Posted Image Now let's get this damn ship out to sea and pick up a few prizes!
  • Like 2

Now, the big question. "Why would there be a need for an extra midshipmen on this voyage?"

And Mark, how could you not comment on his accent. He Must have one. As well as an Irish Temper to match it. Hmm, Irish temper. perhaps someone should polish the caronades. Posted Image

The extra midshipman made sense for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the mortality rate among Europeans traveling to the tropics. History is replete with accounts of ships which ended up with but half their crews left after the ravages of disease hit them.

As for the accent, it is unlikely that it would be strong, since the Baron would have spent much time at schools, etc., with others like him, who were mostly English. He is from Ireland, but not Irish, in that insidious system where there were mostly British landowners and Irish peasants.

Another great chapter, I don't know if you can write a bad one Mark... I am so glad we are getting a few new faces aboard the ship. I can't wait to delve more deeply into each of them, so to speak...

I can't wait to see what type of interest Granger takes in the Baron Kingsdale. This would not be the first time that Granger had taken an interest in a boy from his class without support. I really think this maybe a very interesting and ongoing storyline not just in this book but beyond in the Bridgemont saga. I am sure that each of the midshipman will get a moment in the sun but this is the one that I think will stay around the longest.

I still think whomever is choosen to replace Bertie will hold the key to how the tone of the voyage is set up and plays out. Something else I thought of is that when Bertie comes back so will Lord Chartley. I really think having him and Calvert both aboard at the same time will be very interesting.... Hopefully Chartley will accidently knock Calvert overboard and no one will hear him calling for help, just kidding sort of...

I really would doubt that we find out anything about the Dr. Jackson's pardon before they return. Even with Granger and others working behind the scene, I doubt it can be done quickly enough to occur before they set sail. This is something that will be dealt with later or accomplished when they return.

You may be right, but I think a pardon is doable. We'll see.

Naw, what's rewarding is when we get another chapter! It's Hornblower like, but not, because of the sex thing you've so graciously included for our viewing pleasure! It's also one of my favorite genres so I really look forward to each chapter. You are one of the best, Mark. Posted Image Now let's get this damn ship out to sea and pick up a few prizes!

We need a few more chapters. It takes a long time to prep a ship for a voyage overseas.

I think most of us look for the next chapter as soon as finish the one just posted.

• Like 1

So you really don't care for Calvert? Wow, I thought I was the only one. He's too, uhm "needy". He is way high maintenance privately. He's fine when he is being an officer. But the second the doors close it,s all pouty to get your way and not in a sweet way. At least that is how I "perceive" him in my minds eye.Maybe I didn't say that correctly. I think what bothers me most about him is how Granger changes into a less confident person when he is around. Perhaps its love but . . . I don't know. I just never liked him. If I had to pick someone who I "like" both with granger and without, besides George of course, I think it would be Cavendish. They just seem to bring out each other's strengths. Neither is diminished in anyway in front of the other. They remain much as they would be in public save that of the obvious.

I would love to hear why you don't care for him and who everybody's favorite characters are. Besides George of course. And tell us why that person is your favorite. And it doesn't have to be someone Granger has been with.

Any takers?

• Like 2

I have just never taken to Calvert. I can't say it is any one thing but more just an accumulation of his behaviour and manners. I don't guess he is really objectionable but he has just always sort of annoyed me. He is the only one of George's lovers that I have felt really is a problem. I have never thought that he would ever be able to really handle the type of relationship that George needs from his lovers. Plus he always seems sort of a bore to me.... And Ricky, I do think Calvert has always been sort of needy and not in a good way...

I really like the idea of George ending up with Lord Chartley or someone of his ilk. I think in a way that George needs the main man in his life to be more of an Alpha male. I think this is why I always like George with Travers but that would have never really worked fully in the end because of the difference in social levels.

As to the subject of favorite other in the series besides Granger of course, I am tempted to say Caroline but am going to go with Bertie. I really admire Caroline, her mistake with how she handled her lover and pregnancy not withstanding. She has always been George's biggest supporter and understands him on a level that I think few others do. Bertie is really my favorite because of how much he has changed since the story began. He was such a total loser when the story started and now he has become rich, powerful, and very much his own man. He has overcome a lot and managed to make something of himself in a way that no one really believed him capable of in the beginning. I know he seems to have a broken moral compass but family still matters to him and has he really done anything that most people of that day and age wouldn't have given the chance???

Who is next???

We all make our own luck and Calvert has been careless with his and with being discreet. Some people take lemons and turn them into lemonade. Others just get a sour stomach. So while I don't actively wish him any more ill luck, it would not surprise me if he were subject to more.

• Like 1

We all make our own luck and Calvert has been careless with his and with being discreet. Some people take lemons and turn them into lemonade. Others just get a sour stomach. So while I don't actively wish him any more ill luck, it would not surprise me if he were subject to more.

Very well said, this is in line with what I was getting at....

Sharon likes Calvert. Posted Image

A RARE emoticon use! WhooHoo! Well done Mark. Doesn't that feel good to use a much neglected emoticon? hehe

Funny that you would choose Caroline. I had pondered her. She was third on my list. Right after Winkler. He held two because he has grown so very much. He can almost finish Granger's sentences. I've often thought that it would be interesting to have the seaman or seamen who stole his money way back when Granger found him fighting with the beggar suddenly appear in line to sign up for his crew. I wonder how Granger would deal with them. But just how he has found a niche in life for himself that allows him to be content. And he has become strong. Remember when Granger had to remind him of his expectations of loyalty and how he changed heading in an instant. Yet he was not truly afraid to be his own man so to speak and to make his own choices. And how his devotion to Granger has more than once allowed himself to warn and protect him when hidden or unseen dangers existed. And I don't think that was ever self preservation as much as making sure the man who had saved him so long ago was repaid in kind. And look how strong he has become. He was actually considering staying on shore. A huge step to even consider. What if Granger thought it a betrayal? He had to wonder if that was a possibility. And with Grangers insecurities, that one would have probably hit him hard although he would never show it.

Caroline is unflappable, well except for that small foible in the center of the room at the moment. Being gay ad married to a wonderful, accepting and resourceful woman myself can see that she is a really well fleshed out person here. She knew her husband and knew the limits she could visit. It was unfortunate that she missed the boat on this one. But in a political situation excluding a sexual one, She would charge into the breach and come out the victor or re-stratagize and go to battle again. Her tenacity is such that you can picture her sitting with her morning tea licking a file. Not tasting it but sharpening her tongue for the next round. And like a well honed blade she would eventually vanquish her opponent. I suspect somewhere along the line she will have to take on a Wilcox/Fox or Mann and Granger will have to smile knowing they would have rather faced a ship of the line in a row boat than experience what she is capable of dishing out.

Good call on Bertie too. He IS colorful, adaptive and resourceful. And most of all, remorseful of the family he took advantage of. I don't think he realized how important they were to himself emotionally until they were gone. So he turned himself around but only knows how to operating the world and mindset that he has over the years created. So he is trying to be morally better in his own perception and yet show in his actions how much he misses the family. I am anxious to see how he plays out when he returns to London. There will be the people who knew him when he didn't even like himself.

On a side note. One of the things I really like about Granger and I can identify with myself is that Granger is one who discovers a new truth and it replaces the old idea. It becomes a new truth and he will store that in his core beliefs until a new understanding challenges it. He is very binary although sometimes his math allows for a remainder.

And DaddyDavek, I have to take you to task on that one. If I believed we could make our own luck, I would have brewed me a batch of it a long time ago. I've always said if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. And often I'd prefer the later. And that presumption, if followed out to its logical conclusion would say that I create my own bad luck as well. See, I tend to be rather binary myself when it comes to core truths. There is room for gray but the hard stuff is pretty much black and white. And while it is said, "Luck is when opportunity meets preparation, the nature of luck itself is the occurrence against the odds. Posted Image (I end with a simple common wink emoticon so as not to detract from Mark's greatness.)

Edited by ricky

Ricky's quote:

"And DaddyDavek, I have to take you to task on that one. If I believed we could make our own luck, I would have brewed me a batch of it a long time ago. I've always said if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. And often I'd prefer the later. And that presumption, if followed out to its logical conclusion would say that I create my own bad luck as well."

In a world view like Jefferson's, we must take personal responsibility for our actions and their consequences and yes we do to an extent make our own luck or bad luck. Everyone has misfortune visited upon them from time to time which could not be anticipated, prevented or prepared for. However, many times, a little foresight, preparation and really thinking through your objectives can avoid a lot of bad "luck" or outcomes. Point of view and attitude can take a bit of misfortune and turn it into an invaluable life lesson. People who are careless about the outcomes of their actions and don't think through the ramifications of their decisions or actions are usually called loosers when they persist in such behaviours after their teenage years.

• Like 1

I do. I have always felt that Calvert is the one for George for the long haul. I could be wrong. It does happen occasionally.But only occasionally. Posted Image

I like Calvert too. He is risky, and that makes him attractive. He is fiery and passionate, loyal and loving. Granger is bound up in his world, constricted by his rank and his position in society, and as much as anyone can, Calvert helps him bust out of those bonds. I think Calvert helps Granger enjoy his life more than any of the other men he's been with.

I like Calvert too. He is risky, and that makes him attractive. He is fiery and passionate, loyal and loving. Granger is bound up in his world, constricted by his rank and his position in society, and as much as anyone can, Calvert helps him bust out of those bonds. I think Calvert helps Granger enjoy his life more than any of the other men he's been with.

BAH! What would you know about it anyways old man. Hump! Posted Image

with sincere apologies to Sharon (see, I know where the power lies), I have never really bought into the Calvert hagiography. He's too much like chocolate; bloody delicious, unputdownable and definately something to go back to, but as a staple, it's just not that good for you....

• Like 2

I do. I have always felt that Calvert is the one for George for the long haul. I could be wrong. It does happen occasionally.But only occasionally. Posted Image

I bow to your wisdom and will in most ways but not in this, Calvert just doesn't have the strength of character to stay with George for the long haul... or at least he has never really shown it yet.

I guess since he is your creation, you know them all better than we do, but Calvert has always seemed cloying and needy more than anything else to me. He is unpredicatable and uncontrolled and not in a good way with either. His behaviour has almost cost George big in the past and probably will again. If he truly loves George with a mature passion, he needs to grow up and change or care enough about George to get out of his life if he can't...

I bow to your wisdom and will in most ways but not in this, Calvert just doesn't have the strength of character to stay with George for the long haul... or at least he has never really shown it yet.

I guess since he is your creation, you know them all better than we do, but Calvert has always seemed cloying and needy more than anything else to me. He is unpredicatable and uncontrolled and not in a good way with either. His behaviour has almost cost George big in the past and probably will again. If he truly loves George with a mature passion, he needs to grow up and change or care enough about George to get out of his life if he can't...

That may be. Then again, he's still young. There's reason to hope he matures.

glad to see te return of Caroline to the story. the political twists make australian politics positivly mundane. why do i get thatnthe relationship between the good doctor and the unscrupulous knight something to do with a cucumber?

another episode in a compelling stor y congratulations

SPOILER ALERT! Read the chapter before this thread.

Having said that. Lets get to business.

So Maidstone is to be the replacement. Will he try and do the doctor in by his own hand or will the doctor save his life only to wallow and commiserate over the loss of Maidstone's daughter with him? Will he express his love for her so completely that Maidstone will finally see that he gave it his all trying to save her? Will he witness the man's determination to save every person he treats? Or will he try and kill him in his sleep? And what other name is behind this? Is there a Wilcox or Mann or Fox behind this? Or even a Davina? Will they try and catch Francis and Granger in a violation of Article 28? Something smells here and I don't think it's the bilge.

And how will the little Baron play into all this? What will his father discover while spending time alone with him? What will Winkler discover? Winkler being so young yet, the lad might open up to him where other's might meet a brick wall od Stubborn Irishness. And WHO is the lad's uncle? Somehow I think that Granger once again, unwittingly befriended the Jewel of Oran in this lad. And what is he to Lord Hood? And why is he not on one of his ships?

And does Granger's father have any pull in this matter having stock in John Company? How can this all be handled within a week?

And what of the Nore? Lies can not be spread like this against nobility without swift and complete resolution. And it seems that Granger is to be hounded by mutineers where ever he goes. He should be in the west Indies in September and still be there around December.

Other mutinies and discontent in 1797

In September 1797, the crew of the Hermione mutinied in the West Indies, killing almost all the officers in revenge for a number of grievances including the throwing into the sea of the bodies of three men who had been killed in falling from the rigging in a desperate scramble to avoid flogging for being last man down on deck.[7]

On 27 December, the crew of Marie Antoinette murdered their officers and took their ship into a French port in the West Indies.[8]

Other mutinies took place off the coast of Ireland and at the Cape of Good Hope and spread to the fleet under Admiral Jervis off the coast of Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spithead_and_Nore_mutinies

The question remains, who will make it to the Indies alive? Jackson or Maidstone? It would not look good for Dr Jackson if Maidstone died under his care. And will Granger feel the Ire of his lordship when he tells him he will not transfer him to another ship? Will the doctor be permitted to slip away if Spencer tries to force the issue? And why will Spencer be willing to allow him to be sacrificed?

One thing I think is certain. He should set sail in the next chapter. And somehow I think he will be slipping away marginally ignoring an order.

And it will be the right thing to do.

Where to begin?

Let's start with Kingsdale. It appears the young Lord will be taken under the wings of the Grainger, the Earl and Caroline. Between them and with the help of the crown and Royal family, the Kingsdale estate may return to some form of prosperity. Afterall while not an English peer, Kingsdale is part of the aristocracy and they care of their own. Lord Hood chose wisely in asking Grainger in taking the young Lord into crew of the Bacchante.

Maidstone's apparent appointment as Bertie's replacement is interesting. I expect the Wilcoxes are involved somehow, but that will difficukt to prove. Given his apparent animosity to Grainger and the power a Governor weilds, I hope Grainger orders are countersigned by the crown to prevent Maidstone from commandeering the ship once they reach the Indies.

The good doctor seems to present a problem. At least he will not be tranferred, I can not see anyone overruling the command given by the Duke of Clarence to keep the Dr on board. That leaves the situation between Maidstone and the Dr to ferment while they cruise to the Indies. One can only hope for a reconcilliation or at least an enforced truce during the voyage. Of course there is a slight possibility the the good Dr does not sail but rather is secretived to the estate of Lord Kingsdale, out the hands of Maidstone's lackey's.

The replacement of Bertie by Maidstone leads to questions, but will not be resolve before the ship sails. However, in tackling Grainger, Maidstone will find out that he holds a losing hand especially when the Earl, Caroline, the Duke of Clarence and Arthor combine their political forces to undercover the plot.

I really don't know if I can live an enjoyable life with just one chapter of Odyssey a week. I am so excited to see the chapter show up and then as I get closer to the end of the chapter, my misery starts again, how long til the next one is here...

I really did enjoy this chapter. I have to question why a man such as Maidstone is being sent that far abroad, even by his own request. It was a rare Englishmen that could travel to the tropics and survive much less thrive. I realize that money may be a prime motivator but it seems like there is more than that involved here. Even if the man is wealthy, why go out of the way to antagonize the Earl and his family. They also have wealth plus a better position in society and with the King. I can't really see Fox being behind much of this but it wouldn't suprise me to find a Wilcox or two in the woodpile.

I do think that there is more to the Baron Kingsdale than we have seen so far. I can understand why Hood would want him on a smaller ship with more chance acquire prize money and promotion but what is Hood's connection in the first place. The Baron makes it seem like he barely knows Hood at all??? I think the young Baron may very well add a great deal to the Bridgeport saga at some point down the line.

I am glad to see that the Duke of Clarence is willing to help Granger and find out what is going on with Maidstone. I would think that even if the Prince of Wales falls on Maidstone's side, the King and the Duke will balance it out in Granger's favor.

I was really glad to see that George and Caroline are moving to repair their relationship. They have always been a great team and I think they will be that again. I can see Caroline taking the cause of the young Baron to heart and working to help him as well.

Mark, as always, a great chapter; I can't wait for the next one....

p.s.

OMG, I forgot to mention Arthur... Even though he was in the background, I am so glad that he has regained his balance, he always was a great supporter of Granger. I suppose it was worth it for Granger to give up a good sailor to help an old friend..... LOL

Edited by centexhairysub

I really don't know if I can live an enjoyable life with just one chapter of Odyssey a week. I am so excited to see the chapter show up and then as I get closer to the end of the chapter, my misery starts again, how long til the next one is here...

I really did enjoy this chapter. I have to question why a man such as Maidstone is being sent that far abroad, even by his own request. It was a rare Englishmen that could travel to the tropics and survive much less thrive. I realize that money may be a prime motivator but it seems like there is more than that involved here. Even if the man is wealthy, why go out of the way to antagonize the Earl and his family. They also have wealth plus a better position in society and with the King. I can't really see Fox being behind much of this but it wouldn't suprise me to find a Wilcox or two in the woodpile.

I do think that there is more to the Baron Kingsdale than we have seen so far. I can understand why Hood would want him on a smaller ship with more chance acquire prize money and promotion but what is Hood's connection in the first place. The Baron makes it seem like he barely knows Hood at all??? I think the young Baron may very well add a great deal to the Bridgeport saga at some point down the line.

I am glad to see that the Duke of Clarence is willing to help Granger and find out what is going on with Maidstone. I would think that even if the Prince of Wales falls on Maidstone's side, the King and the Duke will balance it out in Granger's favor.

I was really glad to see that George and Caroline are moving to repair their relationship. They have always been a great team and I think they will be that again. I can see Caroline taking the cause of the young Baron to heart and working to help him as well.

Mark, as always, a great chapter; I can't wait for the next one....

p.s.

OMG, I forgot to mention Arthur... Even though he was in the background, I am so glad that he has regained his balance, he always was a great supporter of Granger. I suppose it was worth it for Granger to give up a good sailor to help an old friend..... LOL

I know, RIGHT? I just keep telling myself that there is so much more research to a chapter of HMS than Paternity and that's part of what makes it so great. But we'd feel the same with 2 per week, no?

An excellent point. And look at the line up. You'll have Bertie, Granger and Dr Jackson all three hated by the Wilcox's and Maidstone on-board the same vessel at the same time. I wonder if they planted any seaman on-board during the massive signup when Granger was favored by the seamen. I think a diabolical plot at hand. And I didn't think about the new Gov and the power to keep Granger. SCARY! A Govenor accusing Granger of Bugery would certainly hold water. If the brotherhood doesn't head things off at the pass.

An excellent point. And perhaps the young Baron's blood is a little bluer than suspected? Another Royal bastard perhaps? Or perhaps some young Irish girl was once Hoodwinked under the covers? ;)

You guys think up better plot lines than I do. Posted Image

Hood was first an Irish peer, so that's probably why he knew of Kingsdale. It was quite common for someone like Hood to pull strings for a friend, in this case, perhaps an Irish judge or someone, to help a young peer try and regain his fortunes. And with Granger's reputation for prize money, an appointment to Bacchante would seem to be a good match. I can see other sons of peers (like Clifton) or magnates (like Llewellyn) furious that they weren't allowed to go on this voyage, despite the risks.

As for Maidstone, I think Granger said it best. When guineas and pounds are on the line, all bets are off.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..