What Are You Reading?

Michael9344

Pretty simple. What are you reading now. Which book, novel, story, newspaper, mag?:D

I'm reading Two Little Girls In Blue by Mary Clark and enjoying every single chapter...:).

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I don't have anything in progress that isn't an online serial story I'm waiting on updated. I've been focused on writing for the last day so I didn't read at all yesterday. Over the weekend I re-read Moon by Laurann Dohner, and Strength of the Pack by Kendall McKenna. I'm also in the midst of a judging for an online award contest so I read Star Wishes by Miss Martine Sunday night. Otherwise ... it's mostly just GA chapters and stories by new authors in the mod queue, though I make an exception for some other authors or beta jobs.

I am reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" - again :P and I am also reading "Harry Potter and the goblet of fire" - again..  And I don't know why I can't read just one book at a time :huh:  :funny: 

• Like 1

I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I have also halfway finished and then put on hold King Rat by China Mieville, Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett, Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and, on audio book, A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin. As you can see, I am also unable to read just one book at a time. :P

Do any others do audio books? I've tried them and always find my mind wandering away from  the story. Guess I need to see the printed words for anything to stick.

My sister just handed me ten Karen Rose books. It's a series of psycho killer thrillers. I've just started All Lessons Learned by Charlie Cochrane which is book #8 in the Cambridge Fellows Mystery series, I'm a big fan of Jonty and Orlando. I'm half-way through The China Bride by Mary Jo Putney, which I've read about umpteen times. And just for backup, I'm re-reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. I don't sleep very much. :) 

OK, I'm reading "The Copywriter's Handbook" by Robert W. Bly.  Bly is considered one of the best copywriters in the business.  I'm going to read the book twice so I don't miss anything.  Then I'm going to read something else related to copywriting.  I love reading, but only books that offer useful information.  Bet you never thought you'd see someone on GA who didn't read fiction did you.  It's an amazing world everywhere you go.  :)

• Like 1

Lately there has been an emphasis on the field part of my job as a field engineer.

I have been driving quite a lot. I've been listening to audio books. Some I've read, some I haven't.

Dune, Frank Herbert

Ender's Game- Card

Foundation- Asimov

Cryptonomicon- Stevenson

Ubik- Dick

Red Storm Rising- Clancy

Out of the Dark- Weber

There's something I really like about audio books. Hearing the spoken word does something for a novel.

It's something as a writer that I've taken note of.

Now as I've writing something, when I finish a section I read it aloud to hear how it sounds.

I think that makes a GREAT difference.

There are profound differences in how we write and how we speak. It's off topic but it is something that writers really should pay attention to if you want to find that elusive thing called your voice.

• Like 1

I am reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" - again :P and I am also reading "Harry Potter and the goblet of fire" - again..  And I don't know why I can't read just one book at a time :huh:  :funny:

OMG! My HP and Goblet of Fire book is on my nightstand. Yesterday, I was having Harry Potter Withdrawal symptoms so I had to get my dose. :P 

• Like 1

There's something I really like about audio books. Hearing the spoken word does something for a novel.

It's something as a writer that I've taken note of.

Now as I've writing something, when I finish a section I read it aloud to hear how it sounds.

I agree. Writing that sounds good when read aloud is always good writing. Which is why not all audio books work well :P

I'm in the third book of the Tamir Triad on audio.  I love audiobooks, because I can listen to them during long drives, or when I'm doing chores around the house.  I'm also reading Beautiful Creatures and struggling my way through the Storm of Swords.  

I agree. Writing that sounds good when read aloud is always good writing. Which is why not all audio books work well :P

I always read out my dialogue. Always. Which is annoying when I can't do the accents my characters have in their heads, but I think it does wonders for the realism.

I love audiobooks. I don't drive, I'm a dedicated pedestrian, and when I walk somewhere I often listen to audiobooks on my iPod. I get a lot of books from Audible. I've listened to all the Harry Potter books as read by Stephen Fry, working my way through The Dresden Files read by James Marsters (who has one of the sexiest voices on the planet and has an uncanny ability to make the most gruesome descriptions of death and destruction sound sensual), A Song of Ice and Fire read by Roy Dotrice, Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys read by Lenny Henry, American Gods read by that guy whose last name I can't spell, the same in full cast recording, and I could go on, but those are my favourites. :P

I just finished "Don't Let Me Go" by JH Trumble.

I cried, but it was a happy ending. I still cried.

I heard this is a very good book! It's on my to-read list on goodreads :3 My very very very very very long to-read list.....

I heard this is a very good book! It's on my to-read list on goodreads :3 My very very very very very long to-read list.....

you must read it, it's so amazingly written!

Just finished: The Vatican Conspiracies, by James McCarty 

Currently: Beyond the Shadows, by Brent Weeks (Last book in the Night Angel trilogy). 

Next up: Cauldron, by Larry Bond (the only all-out war novel by him I haven't read yet). 

I have three on the go at the moment:

1) The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

2) 2061: Odessey Three - Arthur C Clarke

3) The Last Unicorn - Peter S Beagle.

Read two novels this week:

Calico Joe by John Grisham; the game of baseball is the setting for an evil deed and the search for redemption and love.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys; a Lithuanian family, exiled to Siberia by Stalin, learns to survive and exchanges acts of kindness with others.

I'm in the third book of the Tamir Triad on audio.  I love audiobooks, because I can listen to them during long drives, or when I'm doing chores around the house.  I'm also reading Beautiful Creatures and struggling my way through the Storm of Swords.  

The Nightrunner series is always in my active reading, when I am not researching ideas and subjects :D

• Like 1

The Nightrunner series is always in my active reading, when I am not researching ideas and subjects :D

I got started with the Nightrunner series and started the Tamir Triad from there.  I actually like the Tamir books and the early Nightunners more than her more recent works.

Kind of agree with you, the White Road was not as exciting

It seems like the Nightrunner series should have ended as the trilogy, even though she was vehement about not having a trilogy out of those books.  The first three are markedly different from the ones that came afterwords.  But I have only read through the White Road, I haven't started Casket of Souls yet.

• Like 1

I LOVE THE NIGHTRUNNER SERIES!!!! However I stopped reading about 1/4th through the white road. I think the books became really episodic and the charm wore off.