Name the Movie from the Quote

I Know this rather obscure film, but I'll let someone else figure it out. :)

Whatever happened to the actor who spoke those words in the movie? It was thought that playing that role would destroy his career. Of course, it didn't, but you know I can't recall any of his other movies.

• Like 1

I Know this rather obscure film, but I'll let someone else figure it out. :)

Whatever happened to the actor who spoke those words in the movie? It was thought that playing that role would destroy his career. Of course, it didn't, but you know I can't recall any of his other movies.

It's a great shame this film is so obscure - can't remember when it was last shown on telly :( Because the truth is this was groundbreaking cinema, as well as being an excellent and entertaining film, and you won't find such a shocking and raw gay story in Holloywood until decades later. It's an important film and anyone interested in gay cinema has to see it :)

The irony - and this is the correct use of the term :P - is that the lead actor was himself a closet gay and always denied his sexuality throughout his life. His male partner was instructed to destroy all his personal papers when he died.

It's a great shame this film is so obscure - can't remember when it was last shown on telly :( Because the truth is this was groundbreaking cinema, as well as being an excellent and entertaining film, and you won't find such a shocking and raw gay story in Holloywood until decades later. It's an important film and anyone interested in gay cinema has to see it :)

The irony - and this is the correct use of the term :P - is that the lead actor was himself a closet gay and always denied his sexuality throughout his life. His male partner was instructed to destroy all his personal papers when he died.

No kidding it's obscure - I have to admit I'm totally stumped on this one

Edited by TLM280249

No kidding it's obscure - I have to admit I'm totally stumped on this one

well that's a real shame, it should be seen and known :(

I guess Tomas will have to step on down and plaaayyy "Name The Movie"!! :P

The film is 1961's "The Victim" starring Dirk Bogarde who also starred in the 1971 film "A Death in Venice".

Hmmmmm! Let's see...

"Gringo? I don't know if that's a step up or a step down from some other things I've been called."

The film is 1961's "The Victim" starring Dirk Bogarde who also starred in the 1971 film "A Death in Venice".

Well done Tomas :)

Dirk Bogarde was at the time Britain's No.1 movie star and all round "heart throb". He played the eponymous role of a gay lawyer being blackmailed for his homosexuality at a time when homosexual sex was a serious criminal offence in Britain where you would be sent to prison for years. In this particular scene Bogarde is provoked to declare his homosexual desire for another man. It's still a staggering performance today, 63 years later, so imagine the impact then. In fact it had a real and valuable impact - it helped bring about the decriminalisation of homosexuality in Britain six years later. It was an incredibly brave film, far ahead of its time.

Hmmmmm! Let's see...

"Gringo? I don't know if that's a step up or a step down from some other things I've been called."

I had totally forgotten about "Victim" - I only ever saw it on TV and then only on the "arty" (as it was then) Channel 4 in the UK.

Now for the new clue - if I remember correctly it's from Sidney Poitier's "Lilies Of The Field"

As good as it gets ???

Sorry Sly - not correct

I'm ready to google this.

Before you do Aditus  how about a clue or two?

1. It was remade back in 2004

2. The actor in the starring role of the remake was born in the same city as the original star.

Edited by TLM280249

Perhaps one further clue might help them. :)  The Original was a British comedy.

Of course, as you may have surmised from that clue, I know the film. I really don't want to turn the game into a contest between just two of us. That is why, many times, I'm reluctant to post the answer as there are others who are playing the game. If the other players really get stuck then... maybe... after a reasonable length of time.

• Like 1

A British comedy . . . well I know it's not from any of the Carry On films, but I don't really know many Brit film comedies going too far back.

So it must have been someone like Dudley Moore or Peter Cook.

The only Brit film I can think of that got a remake was Bedazzled.  But somehow I doubt Dudley Moore and Brendan Frazer were born in the same city.

Oh well . . . I say BEDAZZLED!

Edited by andy021278

A British comedy . . . well I know it's not from any of the Carry On films, but I don't really know many Brit film comedies going too far back.

So it must have been someone like Dudley Moore or Peter Cook.

The only Brit film I can think of that got a remake was Bedazzled.  But somehow I doubt Dudley Moore and Brendan Frazer were born in the same city.

Oh well . . . I say BEDAZZLED!

Nice guess Andy but no.

Another clue -  The star of the 2004 remake was Jude Law.  Hopefully this should help.