Where is it from: Classics Only

one of my favourite books of all times a childhood classic:

"It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful."

author and book please

extra bonus question when was the film made

scotty94=37 points

Edited by scotty94

Okay fine, be that way. :P I figure I'll let out a nice one so we can get this ball rolling again.

*clears throat*

"It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to show by this statement that I am not his murderer."

A bonus point if, when you identify the author next to the title of the story, you can do so by spelling out their entire name, initials and all.

Since I got to post a new question, that brings me to 32 points! Lo, to all lurkers in the bowels of this thread, have at ye!

Edited by thebrinkoftime

This is Agatha Christie. Please say it is. I emplore you. I beseech you. And is it Murder on the Orient Express? Oh wait, it could be...ummm.... Initials? Oh crumbs.

Sherlock holmes by oh crap... Let me think... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle . Or A. C. Doyle

Heeeeeheeee

Ha ha. Good guess, LJH, but no. If I remember correctly, Murder on the Orient Express concerns a victim who complains of multiple stab wounds and while I love the crafty way Sherlock's stories are told from the point of view of Watson, surely you don't think the good doctor would ever shoot anyway, let alone six times!

Ah, I even gave you a nice hint too! Let's see if you noticed it.

A hint in the ... Wait ... Doyle was not crafty in writing this way ... Books are written POV doesn't matter who .... Help! Ok. We may need another clue. Crafty.... Hmmmm...means sly, like a fox maybe. I'm thinking Fox but no author comes to mind. Even if i get the author the book doesn 't ring a bell. Maugham? Crumbs i am so stumped. I love the classics but this one has me scratching my head. Tearing my hair out ... Eyelash hair cos I am shaved. Lol. Maybe Zombie is right.

Oh hell!

Okay, not Dorothy L Sayers. Another hint: Dorothy couldn't comprehend the vast awfulness, she'd probably go crazy and run back to Oz.

Compilation of hints thus far: Bonus point for typing out the author's initial-laden name. And "I love the crafty way Sherlock's stories are told from the point of view of Watson."

I guess I underestimated how famous this story is! (And it isn't any way, shape or form an obscure or unpopular work or author, trust me.)

got another one for you,

author and book please

I don't know if it is a classic but i think it is

“Clare: It’s hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he’s okay. It’s hard to be the one who stays.”

Sorry Scotty, The Time Traveler's Wife was published in 2003 and did not win any major literary prize. Not a classic. You may quote from a contemporary novel as long as it has won a prize. Please post another question.

author and book please:

'I've never had a moment's doubt.I love you.I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life.'

The question was not answered. 

The correct answer is: Atonement by Ian MacEwan

How could I have missed this, it's sitting on my bookshelf...unread...damn!

Brink, Scotty seems unavailable to set the next question.  Your turn. Remember to keep a tally of your own points.

Scotty loses his turn.

I actually kind of didn't know what to do, I knew it was Atonement, but I only knew it was such from watching the movie, I've never read the book. Either way, I didn't know the author so I couldn't have answered.

In any case, heeeeere weeee go, let's make it an easy one so more people can hopefully participate!

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

Bonus points if you can tell me the name of another book this famous author wrote.

As for me, 35 points!