8047244428_e4985fda29.jpg

I just discovered this last night!!! It's from 1884, and I love how they are touting their departments - paving the way for the new term 'Department Store.' It really does seem they were the first major retailer in the U.S. to divide their operation into separate business units for greater market flexibility. Anyway, thought I'd share :)      

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

8047244428_e4985fda29.jpg

I just discovered this last night!!! It's from 1884, and I love how they are touting their departments - paving the way for the new term 'Department Store.' It really does seem there were the first major retailer in the U.S. to divide their operation into separate business units for greater market flexibility. Anyway, thought I'd share :)      

It's terrific... I bet Mr. Barr would love all you've collected and written about his store!!  

• Like 4

b6aad270ad3498796ba80c657a971b4d.jpg

The parade turning the corner of Broadway and Washington Avenue. The large structure framed in the middle is Samuel Davis & Co., William Barr's biggest rival, and the oldest department store in the West, having been founded in 1829. From Harper's Bazaar Magazine, October 1886.

• Like 4

68abb0b66653c2c46137400604abdc5a.jpg

Trading room floor of the Exchange, circa 1880. The ceiling is 65 feet high, and the room measures 235 by 98, or contains 23,030 square feet of unobstructed space. You can see the fountain in the center, and the rostrum to the left.   

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 4

1dcd5208dd4928b138abb0eb0f0de732.jpg

Here's an advertising trade card from the early 1880s featuring the Exchange and the Veiled Prophet ball. Although fanciful in some respects (the adding of crystal chandeliers, for example) and lacking details in other regards (with the design elements of the room and its balcony) it nonetheless looks right in terms of proportions. It also shows the space decorated with the Colors of the various VP Organization members, and gives a sense of what it was like to be among the high-class crowd.

• Like 5

I'll just go ahead and apologize now for this... I do hope it's interesting at least.  

Macy's went with the Believe theme, and their Santaland did nothing for me. This year as with last there were no ceiling wreaths and the columns were bare. 

Lord & Taylor's theme was Enchanted Forest. 

By far, Saks Fifth Avenue was the best. Land of 1000 Delights and each window depicted a scene from the Nutcracker Sweet... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150504364@N04/shares/e86p85

I hope the link works... I've got midnight service later so I'll wish you all a Happy Christmas.. 

• Like 5

I'll just go ahead and apologize now for this... I do hope it's interesting at least.  

Macy's went with the Believe theme, and their Santaland did nothing for me. This year as with last there were no ceiling wreaths and the columns were bare. 

Lord & Taylor's theme was Enchanted Forest. 

By far, Saks Fifth Avenue was the best. Land of 1000 Delights and each window depicted a scene from the Nutcracker Sweet... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150504364@N04/shares/e86p85

I hope the link works... I've got midnight service later so I'll wish you all a Happy Christmas.. 

Happy Christmas to you, Def!

• Like 2

Nutcracker Sweet :huh::blink:  OMG that's so cute :D :hug:

I can just imagine you as a little kid hearing adults or television saying The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky (I had to look up the spelling of his name, lol) and hearing it as Nutcracker Sweet. It's not something which could happen in Danish, but it makes so much sense in English. I may have to use it in a story. :kiss:

• Like 5

Felix hoped getting Hampden to think outside of himself for a moment would help. Dumas' hero was as good a subject as any.

Hampy recited matter-of-factly: "He faked his death, got stitched up in a bag and tossed into the sea."

"Well," Felix chuckled. "I mean, he escaped. He was brave and did it. He set himself free." 

as a matter of fact I think it was Dante's fellow prisoner who told him of the treasure and when he was dying he told Dante to switch places with his corpse and escape that way. I can recall the scary scene where one guard grumbles about how the old man could weigh so much and the other guard telling him to shut up and then they heave the 'corpse' over the side of the wall and you hope he doesn't hit the rocks at the bottom. :o

• Like 3

Nutcracker Sweet :huh::blink:  OMG that's so cute :D  :hug:

I can just imagine you as a little kid hearing adults or television saying The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky (I had to look up the spelling of his name, lol) and hearing it as Nutcracker Sweet. It's not something which could happen in Danish, but it makes so much sense in English. I may have to use it in a story. :kiss:

Lol...Tim, I  really can't take the credit, cute at it is... The department store used Nutcracker Sweet. Sweet is a play on the spelling since the outside is decked in candy and it also alludes to their window theme..

Maybe little Michael could borrow it sometime..... 

• Like 4

gallery_18130_1560_55181.jpg

For those of you who do not know, Defiance19 gave me a wonderful gift this holiday season. She won the Fall Anthology prize, which included an option for a GA banner for a month, and used it on me. How special and loved that made me feel <3 She also craftily omitted to tell me anything about it, so what a shock one morning to see it up there. 

Thanks, Def. You're a superstar 

:thankyou: :thankyou: :glomp::thankyou: :thankyou:

:kiss:

• Like 4

:blushing:.... Shucks, you're very welcome... You're the superstar AC, which is why the banner was a no-brainer.  Your work speaks to all of us and deserves all the accolades.. I am so happy you felt extra special and loved, because I love your work, but I do adore you too..   I wasn't sure at first if I did the right thing by not telling you...(ask tim, lol)  TBH, I kinda miss seeing it...   

I'm so ready for a sneak peak of what's coming next.. 

• Like 4

gallery_18130_1560_55181.jpg

For those of you who do not know, Defiance19 gave me a wonderful gift this holiday season. She won the Fall Anthology prize, which included an option for a GA banner for a month, and used it on me. How special and loved that made me feel <3 She also craftily omitted to tell me anything about it, so what a shock one morning to see it up there. 

Thanks, Def. You're a superstar 

:thankyou: :thankyou: :glomp::thankyou: :thankyou:

:kiss:

She is crafty! But wonderful!!!  and the Banner is beautiful!

:blushing:.... Shucks, you're very welcome... You're the superstar AC, which is why the banner was a no-brainer.  Your work speaks to all of us and deserves all the accolades.. I am so happy you felt extra special and loved, because I love your work, but I do adore you too..   I wasn't sure at first if I did the right thing by not telling you...(ask tim, lol)  TBH, I kinda miss seeing it...   

I'm so ready for a sneak peak of what's coming next.. 

Did you look in sneak peeks???  :)

• Like 4