' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

A kiss for AC for the poem above. :kiss: God bless the bard forever in love.

If you like "Like a man sitting in an empty church" there are plenty more here :) I'd be honored if you check them out and left some thoughts. Cheers 

• Like 2

I am horrible at commenting & reviewing. I don't read poetry like prose, just one page after another. Right now I am stuck on Sonnet no 3. It's state of sensuous languor has reached a zenith. Who is Tony?

... cousin to Mr. W.H. ... ;)

The bard is on his mission swift,

no fair distraction brooked

by lissom guard, or page with gift,

or finger curved and crooked.

Northie's poem was truly kind and lovely. But I am anticipating a sequel in which the bard gets his comeuppance. Off with his head!

Part 2 has been finished and sent to its recipient. I can confirm that no bards were harmed in its making ... :P

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Like a man sitting in an empty church,

A whisper about me reverberates,

Filling dark recesses as if to search

The holy voids where His light hesitates.

If I fold my hands in prayer and watch them,

I see one hand mine and the other yours,

And if from my muttering mouth prayers stem,

It's our commingled voice that then endures.

Lonely and separate as we are right now,

The sacred emptiness is just your soul,

And I inhabit that space somehow,

Knowing even your absence can console.

Still, I whisper your Name and Love at once,

And two forces soar and the gloom confronts.

This reminds me a lot of St. John of the Cross.  Very nice.  I loved it. :)

• Like 3

Graeme posted this in the "Good News" thread, but I thought I'd share it here, too.  Very impressive for a five year old.  

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-02/5yo-perth-girl-wins-national-poetry-prize-with-dingo-poem/7808210

That's cool! Thanks, val! Hopefully she keeps on writing!

• Like 3

For my next go at writing poetry I borrowed the structure of one of Parker's earlier poems (I don't know if it's a particular 'form' - AC will doubtless enlighten me ...). When I commute to work, I travel by bus.  -_- I did use artistic licence on my temper - I'm quite resigned in this sort of situation ...

I'm sat in a sauna, 
Sweating but still fully clothed.
This heat does not cleanse; this steam
Of sweat, fumes, fast food and people
Makes my head ache and my temper flare.
Sunlight stokes my sauna’s furnace
Until a new high is reached.
I drip, self-marinating, 
As I come to the boil.

Thanks to Parker for his always helpful comments.   :)

So much to like in this....lines 3 and 4 have such vivid images, and love the 'self marinating' idea. Have been poached and parboiled myself in my own classroom....

• Like 2

For my next go at writing poetry I borrowed the structure of one of Parker's earlier poems (I don't know if it's a particular 'form' - AC will doubtless enlighten me ...). When I commute to work, I travel by bus. -_- I did use artistic licence on my temper - I'm quite resigned in this sort of situation ...

I'm sat in a sauna,

I drip, self-marinating,

As I come to the boil.

Thanks to Parker for his always helpful comments. :)

AC has provided an online course in writing poetry, if you would like to learn about form, history etc. Go to writing prompts, look for the first, which is TANKA. Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1

AC has provided an online course in writing poetry, if you would like to learn about form, history etc. Go to writing prompts, look for the first, which is TANKA.

Thanks, Tim. I was thinking of tackling one of the prompts before I got distracted by Parker's poem. Actually I've got a couple now to think about. So I am doing the course just not in the right order and as the fancy takes me ... ;) This way suits me better than starting from the beginning. :)

For my next go at writing poetry I borrowed the structure of one of Parker's earlier poems (I don't know if it's a particular 'form' - AC will doubtless enlighten me ...). When I commute to work, I travel by bus.  -_- I did use artistic licence on my temper - I'm quite resigned in this sort of situation ...

I'm sat in a sauna, 

I drip, self-marinating, 

As I come to the boil.

Thanks to Parker for his always helpful comments.  :)

That was an awesome thought. :thumbup: I now can think another meaning for self-cooking... :lol:

• Like 2