' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

I have an online friend whom I call as my Little Brother. We haven't met yet but love and care for each other. On one occasion he had sent me some 'Shayaries' addressing me.

I know they may be look like some normal line, but they meant special for me. So, that's why I wanted to share some of those here. I hope you guys enjoy reading... :)

Zinda hote huwe, zindgi se door hai.

Teri khushi ke liya, khushi se door hai.

Iss se zyada pyar ki saza kya hogi.

Tere hote huwe tujhse door hai hum.

Mujhe ye gham nahii

—badal gayaa zamaana.

Meri zindagi hai tumse

—kahii tum badal na janaa yaar.

Raat ko maine duwa mangi,

Duwa mein apni maut mangi.

Par, KHUDA ne kaha

—Mout to tujhe dunga jaruor,

Par Uss ka kya

Jisne teri lambi umar ki DUWA mangi—

You will be seeing these in English(My version :lol: ) soon at 'My Immature Poetry'... :)

• Like 4

I have an online friend whom I call as my Little Brother. We haven't met yet but love and care for each other. On one occasion he had sent me some 'Shayaries' addressing me.

I know they may be look like some normal line, but they meant special for me. So, that's why I wanted to share some of those here. I hope you guys enjoy reading... :)

Zinda hote huwe, zindgi se door hai.

Teri khushi ke liya, khushi se door hai.

Iss se zyada pyar ki saza kya hogi.

Tere hote huwe tujhse door hai hum.

Mujhe ye gham nahii

—badal gayaa zamaana.

Meri zindagi hai tumse

—kahii tum badal na janaa yaar.

Raat ko maine duwa mangi,

Duwa mein apni maut mangi.

Par, KHUDA ne kaha

—Mout to tujhe dunga jaruor,

Par Uss ka kya

Jisne teri lambi umar ki DUWA mangi—

You will be seeing these in English(My version :lol: ) soon at 'My Immature Poetry'... :)

Your friend wrote this...?

I fed it through google translate and it came up with some challenging and provocative lines ;)  

• Like 2

Your friend wrote this...?

I fed it through google translate and it came up with some challenging and provocative lines ;)

I have to say I wouldn't trust Translate with anything as complex and nuanced as poetry. We'll have to wait for Emi's translation, I think.

• Like 2

In the course of researching material for my 1880 novella, I stumbled upon a book Tennyson published in that year. Ballads and Other Poems was new to me, and reading the opening segment nearly brought me to tears. These poems tell a tale of waiting for a boy named Harry, and how a marriage of true minds existed between them. The touchstone is that the real man he loved was named Harry too; the one who died while still a young man, and the one for whom Tennyson penned the immortal lines: "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

I hope you enjoy these, and if you have not considered reading In Memoriam, you must. It's one of the greatest love poems of all time, and that it's boldly out is certainly a major bonus.    

I.

'Wait a little,’ you say, ‘you are sure it’ll all come right,’

But the boy was born in trouble, and looks so wan and so white:

Wait! and once I had waited – I hadn’t to wait for long.

Now I wait, wait, wait for Harry. – No, no, you are doing me wrong!

Harry and I were married: the boy can hold up his head,

The boy was born in wedlock, but after my man was dead;

I had worked for him fifteen years, and I work and I wait to the end.

I am all alone in the world, and you are my only friend.

VI.

Often I seemed unhappy, and often as happy too,

For I heard it abroad in the fields ‘I’ll never love any but you;’

‘I’ll never love any but you’ the morning song of the lark,

‘I’ll never love any but you’ the nightingale’s hymn in the dark.

VII.

And Harry came home at last, but he looked at me sidelong and shy,

Vext me a bit, till he told me that so many years had gone by,

I had grown so handsome and tall – that I might have forgot him somehow –

For he thought – there were other lads – he was feared to look at me now.

VIII.

Hard was the frost in the field, we were married on Christmas day,

Married among the red berries, and all as merry as May –

Those were the pleasant times, my house and my man were my pride,

We seemed like ships in the Channel a-sailing with wind and tide.

(editor's note: I have slightly amended Tennyson's contractions, eliminating things like i' and an' so that you may have the cleanest possible approach to the text. I suppose the poet included those to provide a sense of working-class accent, but the brogue can isolate reader for material, and I wish for a clear introduction.)

I am sat in the shade of my garden where a gentle summer breeze rustles the leaves. It is a most lovely day yet I am deep in the tumult of migraine. As I read these words silently another voice, sweet and rich as molasses, spoke them softly in my ear. The gentle cadence a balm for a pain-wearied soul. Thank you for this gift.

• Like 5

I am sat in the shade of my garden where a gentle summer breeze rustles the leaves. It is a most lovely day yet I am deep in the tumult of migraine. As I read these words silently another voice, sweet and rich as molasses, spoke them softly in my ear. The gentle cadence a balm for a pain-wearied soul. Thank you for this gift.

Awww, Dugh, thank you for reading it. I'm sorry your pain is present, but your garden sounds lovely.

• Like 2

Awww, Dugh, thank you for reading it. I'm sorry your pain is present, but your garden sounds lovely.

Dugh's garden sounds as wonderful as the gently compelling as the poem you shared with us. Both are worth stopping the chores of the day to enjoy. Many thanks to both of you.

• Like 2

I am fond of the writings of that era. I first became aware of them from the readings of soldiers letters in Ken Burns Civil War. The words and their usage touch my soul.

Oh yes, the soldier who said he will always be around his beloved; so beautiful. I remember it too. I also saw an interview with Ken Burns years later. He pulled out that letter when asked about it, as it seems he always carried it about his person through love and respect for the writer.  

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

In the course of researching material for my 1880 novella, I stumbled upon a book Tennyson published in that year. Ballads and Other Poems was new to me, and reading the opening segment nearly brought me to tears. These poems tell a tale of waiting for a boy named Harry, and how a marriage of true minds existed between them. The touchstone is that the real man he loved was named Harry too; the one who died while still a young man, and the one for whom Tennyson penned the immortal lines: "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

I hope you enjoy these, and if you have not considered reading In Memoriam, you must. It's one of the greatest love poems of all time, and that it's boldly out is certainly a major bonus.    

I.

'Wait a little,’ you say, ‘you are sure it’ll all come right,’

But the boy was born in trouble, and looks so wan and so white:

Wait! and once I had waited – I hadn’t to wait for long.

Now I wait, wait, wait for Harry. – No, no, you are doing me wrong!

Harry and I were married: the boy can hold up his head,

The boy was born in wedlock, but after my man was dead;

I had worked for him fifteen years, and I work and I wait to the end.

I am all alone in the world, and you are my only friend.

VI.

Often I seemed unhappy, and often as happy too,

For I heard it abroad in the fields ‘I’ll never love any but you;’

‘I’ll never love any but you’ the morning song of the lark,

‘I’ll never love any but you’ the nightingale’s hymn in the dark.

VII.

And Harry came home at last, but he looked at me sidelong and shy,

Vext me a bit, till he told me that so many years had gone by,

I had grown so handsome and tall – that I might have forgot him somehow –

For he thought – there were other lads – he was feared to look at me now.

VIII.

Hard was the frost in the field, we were married on Christmas day,

Married among the red berries, and all as merry as May –

Those were the pleasant times, my house and my man were my pride,

We seemed like ships in the Channel a-sailing with wind and tide.

(editor's note: I have slightly amended Tennyson's contractions, eliminating things like i' and an' so that you may have the cleanest possible approach to the text. I suppose the poet included those to provide a sense of working-class accent, but the brogue can isolate reader from material, and I wish for a clear introduction.)   

I've always enjoyed the works of Tennyson.  I have a book of his published in 1879.  It's one of my favorites. :)

Book of Tennyson's Poetry

Title Page

• Like 4

I've always enjoyed the works of Tennyson.  I have a book of his published in 1879.  It's one of my favorites. :)

Nice, Val. I notice the original American editions never referred to him as "Alfred, Lord Tennyson." I guess it rankled our Democratic sensibilities; I also think Newton and Wren were never known as Sirs either ;) 

Thanks for posting the pictures. Perhaps there's a favorite verse or two you could type for us.... 

• Like 1

My concert playing season has started and with it comes my post-concert blues. They don't last that long but I really should learn to button my digital lip while they're on. I wrote the following as part explanation, part apology for something that shouldn't have been sent.

The forecast is for a
Low, deepening gradually
Following a sunny day.
Unsettled weather overnight will
Make sleeping difficult. By morning,
Mist and some dense fog will mean poor
Visibility. A few
Light showers are possible.
Outlook brighter with sun.

(and I know it doesn't make meteorological sense :) )

Edited by northie
  • Like 5

On the request of Ben, I had written a four stanza Lyric poem(working entire day today) both in Hindi and English. But, because of my recklessness, my phone got switched-off before I saved it... :(

And for today, these small lines are what left from me...

Without You

I'm meaningless

Without You

I'm no more

Without You

I'm the one who is not

Me and Myself...

Edited by Emi GS
  • Like 5

On the request of Ben, I had written a four stanza Lyric poem(working entire day today) both in Hindi and English. But, because of my recklessness, my phone got switched-off before I saved it... :(

Without You

I'm meaningless

Without You

I'm no more

Without You

I'm the one who is not

Me and Myself...

Emi, I feel for you. :hug: I hope it comes back to you.

• Like 3

Emi, I feel for you. :hug: I hope it comes back to you.

Thanks Northie... :hug:

Now my mind is in confused state and tired. I hope and wish, tomorrow morning it'll comes out of my mind as perfect as it came for the first time. :unsure:

~Emi.

• Like 2

Without You

I'm meaningless

Without You

I'm no more

Without You

I'm the one who is not

Me and Myself...

These words are moving to me, and you express pain so clearly, it hurts.

• Like 2

A happy life, that's all I want

I don’t want a yacht,

I don’t want a mint

(unless you have one for my breath)

I don’t want to live where it's hot,

nor cold either, please get my hint

(extremes are prone to make me creath)

A life that won't leave me empty

is what I do want,

I don’t mean to sound selfish though

(not too keen on a shibboleth)

because

A big screen TV I don’t want,

or a car that hates to go slow

(none would give me a happy death)

*Note:

- creath = verb, to tremble

- shibboleth = a custom, principle, or belief distinguishing a particular class or group of people, especially a long-standing one regarded as outmoded or no longer important. 

i think we all want a happy fulfilling life.. and nice perfect weather !!

• Like 3