From The Cup Of The Worthless By Cynus

tim, that's so weird but I had just that theory and now you confirmed it. Strange how people can be oblivious to the need for feedback even by the more accomplished authors. It's the most common complaint at work, not getting enough feedback. I would expect people to put two and two together, but no...

• Like 2

Hey Cynus :hug: I've been busy lately and have been dealing with an illness for a while, so I didn't have the time to leave reviews for many of the stories I follow.

But, while I haven't reviewed this story's latest chapters, I have been reading each one. And since I'm now feeling better and the weekend begins tomorrow, I'll be getting back to reviewing :D

Oh, Spawnling. :hug: I've never worried about your affection, or willingness to review/comment. I always know you'll come around and get to it when you get a chance. I hope you don't feel any of my complaining was directed at you, because it wasn't.

I am, however, worried about this illness. Are you doing okay? What was going on?

I think reaching people is the biggest issue on any writing site, GA included. I know a couple of people who have that issue but I don't understand why. You're both very talented authors, yet you don't have a very large audience. Or if you do, not too many who say anything. 

I said something once to someone about this other author and they said to me, they didn't review or 'like' his work because they figured he knew how good he is.  I said, seriously???  Everyone needs feedback...  even Capote, Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Shakespeare... they all needed to hear their work was good, funny, touched someone... good grief. 

What i really need to do is get rid of this "woe is me" attitude, because all things considered, I actually get more feedback than most. Considering the number of writers out there, and the sheer volume of literary works, I've received more feedback than many of them, and I also do better financially from my work than many of them, even though I make very little. I think I've reached that point where I've almost arrived at some sort of expert level in the craft, and I'm not quite there, but sometimes I think I am, and my ego gets in the way and tells me I should be getting more.

Ego is the enemy of the individual, I think.

So really I should stop complaining and simply keep writing.

Another thing I've realized is that my versatility is both a blessing and a curse. I can write about almost any subject, and I enjoy varying my subject matter, so many of my stories are vastly different from each other. However, this is also difficult for any reader who enjoys reading the same type of stories all the time, which seems to be a larger portion of the population. People have their tastes, and they stick to them, and those who like to read anything are not as common. I believe most of those who follow my writing directly, however, probably fit into that smaller group, if only because I do strive for variety.

Please note that I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with writing the same type of story. That is how one becomes a master of a certain type of story, and ends up producing truly marvelous works. There are certainly more ways than one to write, and I only represent one of those schools of thought. The others are equally valid and, if approached with passion and devotion to the craft, will produce great authors in their own way.

• Like 2

tim, that's so weird but I had just that theory and now you confirmed it. Strange how people can be oblivious to the need for feedback even by the more accomplished authors. It's the most common complaint at work, not getting enough feedback. I would expect people to put two and two together, but no...

I think it's an excuse people use, because people are naturally afraid of being either A) wrong B ) judged for their point of view, or C) Generating an awkward situation with a total stranger. Modern society has created an interesting fear of communication, I think. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, too. :)

Edited by Cynus

Oh, Spawnling. :hug: I've never worried about your affection, or willingness to review/comment. I always know you'll come around and get to it when you get a chance. I hope you don't feel any of my complaining was directed at you, because it wasn't.

I am, however, worried about this illness. Are you doing okay? What was going on?

What i really need to do is get rid of this "woe is me" attitude, because all things considered, I actually get more feedback than most. Considering the number of writers out there, and the sheer volume of literary works, I've received more feedback than many of them, and I also do better financially from my work than many of them, even though I make very little. I think I've reached that point where I've almost arrived at some sort of expert level in the craft, and I'm not quite there, but sometimes I think I am, and my ego gets in the way and tells me I should be getting more.

Ego is the enemy of the individual, I think.

So really I should stop complaining and simply keep writing.

Another thing I've realized is that my versatility is both a blessing and a curse. I can write about almost any subject, and I enjoy varying my subject matter, so many of my stories are vastly different from each other. However, this is also difficult for any reader who enjoys reading the same type of stories all the time, which seems to be a larger portion of the population. People have their tastes, and they stick to them, and those who like to read anything are not as common. I believe most of those who follow my writing directly, however, probably fit into that smaller group, if only because I do strive for variety.

Please note that I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with writing the same type of story. That is how one becomes a master of a certain type of story, and ends up producing truly marvelous works. There are certainly more ways than one to write, and I only represent one of those schools of thought. The others are equally valid and, if approached with passion and devotion to the craft, will produce great authors in their own way.

Well i had a major woe-is-me yesterday. To the point i wonder why i bother, not that i'm any great talent, i have no illusion that i am the next anyone ... i think if i have any talent it's more poetry than prose. But i do like to write the latter sometimes. 

And my woe-is-me was such that I felt the need to write a poem, which was better than expected so the whole episode is ironic. I was ready to quit altogether then wrote something good and it got a number of reviews... and i just wanted to cry... 

I'm fairly sure you need to be slightly mental to want to write as an amateur or professional. 

And i probably wont like everything you write Cynus, but lots i will. And we all understand ego, so it's good if you can talk about it sometimes and i think there are a few people around here that will understand it. Not so sure you can write without your ego.... 

oh shut up tim..  ugh

• Like 1

I think it's an excuse people use, because people are naturally afraid of being either A) wrong B ) judged for their point of view, or C) Generating an awkward situation with a total stranger. Modern society has created an interesting fear of communication, I think. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, too. :)

Well frankly I find the review process here odd. A review to me is, grammar, punctuation, was the story clear, did it flow well, were the characters this or that, etc.  I've never seen stories talked about like they are here and it then being called a review.

I think you're right about the excuses ... and if so, then click on Like and move-on if you're afraid to say, oh i liked that, you're story made me cry, smile, throw something at the cat .... 

• Like 1

Well i had a major woe-is-me yesterday. To the point i wonder why i bother, not that i'm any great talent, i have no illusion that i am the next anyone ... i think if i have any talent it's more poetry than prose. But i do like to write the latter sometimes. 

And my woe-is-me was such that I felt the need to write a poem, which was better than expected so the whole episode is ironic. I was ready to quit altogether then wrote something good and it got a number of reviews... and i just wanted to cry... 

I'm fairly sure you need to be slightly mental to want to write as an amateur or professional. 

And i probably wont like everything you write Cynus, but lots i will. And we all understand ego, so it's good if you can talk about it sometimes and i think there are a few people around here that will understand it. Not so sure you can write without your ego.... 

oh shut up tim..  ugh

tim,

I have never wanted you to shut up. :hug: You're a constant source of support for anyone who talks to you, and that's pretty amazing to see in a person. 

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about wondering if it's all worth it. It can get downright disheartening sometimes. Every time I've felt the need to "take a break" for a little while, I've ended up writing something beyond anything I've ever written before. It's actually possible that these little moments of being disheartened are what generate our best work, because we come at it with an emotional vengeance afterward. Broken hearts create some of the best writing, in my opinion, because writing (either fiction or poetry) is about emotion, after all.

And I'm definitely mental, so there is that. :D

Well frankly I find the review process here odd. A review to me is, grammar, punctuation, was the story clear, did it flow well, were the characters this or that, etc.  I've never seen stories talked about like they are here and it then being called a review.

I think you're right about the excuses ... and if so, then click on Like and move-on if you're afraid to say, oh i liked that, you're story made me cry, smile, throw something at the cat .... 

Coming from the background I have, where I started my online writing experience elsewhere, I've had to adjust to the way things work here as well. I was used to all of my feedback coming either in the form of emails or on the forums, and I admit I was a bit skeptical at first about the review system.

But, I've come to like it. I like that it's easy to write feedback to people, even though it's apparently not easy to get people to write it.  -_-

When it comes to review, I rarely mention the technical bits (like grammar and punctuation) simply because I am not that familiar with it to really comment on them.

Although, I do really like talking about the characters, the scene, and overall plot in my reviews :)

• Like 2

For me, a proper review on the writing is difficult since I'm not English speaking. I try to focus on the story. Mostly I focus on the positive, since so many here are new to writing and share their work for free. If you want a more honest opinion, anyone is welcome to ask and I'll tell you.

Sometimes, it's hard to voice a more critical view since I don't share the same cultural background as most in here. A topic I find harmless to discuss can (and have) set people off in the most unexpected way. So I tread carefully.

• Like 3

tim,

I have never wanted you to shut up. :hug: You're a constant source of support for anyone who talks to you, and that's pretty amazing to see in a person. 

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about wondering if it's all worth it. It can get downright disheartening sometimes. Every time I've felt the need to "take a break" for a little while, I've ended up writing something beyond anything I've ever written before. It's actually possible that these little moments of being disheartened are what generate our best work, because we come at it with an emotional vengeance afterward. Broken hearts create some of the best writing, in my opinion, because writing (either fiction or poetry) is about emotion, after all.

And I'm definitely mental, so there is that. :D

Coming from the background I have, where I started my online writing experience elsewhere, I've had to adjust to the way things work here as well. I was used to all of my feedback coming either in the form of emails or on the forums, and I admit I was a bit skeptical at first about the review system.

But, I've come to like it. I like that it's easy to write feedback to people, even though it's apparently not easy to get people to write it.  -_-

You're likely right about the mini breakdowns... but im glad we can talk about them... 

And feedback.. well I have a very long list of things i read ... i've been off work for the past 4 weeks so i've caught up with everything and i've been able to write... that'll all change when im back to work next week.  But i try to read people who read my stuff... hoping it will be reciprocated. It's all you can do.

When it comes to review, I rarely mention the technical bits (like grammar and punctuation) simply because I am not that familiar with it to really comment on them.

Although, I do really like talking about the characters, the scene, and overall plot in my reviews :)

You're reviews are terrific, Drew.. they really are. 

• Like 1

For me, a proper review on the writing is difficult since I'm not English speaking. I try to focus on the story. Mostly I focus on the positive, since so many here are new to writing and share their work for free. If you want a more honest opinion, anyone is welcome to ask and I'll tell you.

Sometimes, it's hard to voice a more critical view since I don't share the same cultural background as most in here. A topic I find harmless to discuss can (and have) set people off in the most unexpected way. So I tread carefully.

Yeah I understand that Pup. The site where i first wrote could be tough and i write for a living so I'm used to constructive criticism. Not always easy to hear but you learn to deal with it without having a breakdown.  To me, it's needed so I can learn. 

And people on GA arent used to it. And some are so emotionally attached to their writing, it's like their child. It's not for me, it's important but i can step back and look at it objectively. AC said something I'd written wasn't right and I thought about it, and he was right.  I don't want patting on the head especially by my editor. 

• Like 1

Looks like I owe you all an apology. I appear to have left you with a cliffhanger. I'm sorry to have delivered such a cruelty to you, and hope you'll forgive me in a week when that cliffhanger is revisited.

Unfortunately, due to complicated circumstances, I can't release the chapters any quicker.

I hope you'll understand.

Looks like I owe you all an apology. I appear to have left you with a cliffhanger. I'm sorry to have delivered such a cruelty to you, and hope you'll forgive me in a week when that cliffhanger is revisited.

Unfortunately, due to complicated circumstances, I can't release the chapters any quicker.

I hope you'll understand.

Cynus, never apologize for what you write :hug:  We as readers, may complain in jest when faced with a cliffhanger, but in all honesty it just makes us really look forward to the new chapter and see where you take us :)

• Like 1

Cynus, never apologize for what you write :hug:  We as readers, may complain in jest when faced with a cliffhanger, but in all honesty it just makes us really look forward to the new chapter and see where you take us :)

:hug: Thanks, spawnling.

:hug: Thanks, spawnling.

Devilsire, I am sad that Nobu has been placed in that sort of position with Viktor, being caught between a rock and a hard place. All I can do, is root for him :)

Oh! Reading this story has sparked my interest in Russian culture, especially the language! And I gotta say, the Cyrillic alphabet is kinda pretty :yes:

I mean, take a look at some of your characters names in Russian :D

Viktor: Виктор

Vladimir: Владимир

Mikhail: Михаил

Alexei: Алексей

Dimitry: Димитрий

• Like 1

The obligatory cliffhanger lamentation is not to be taken seriously. It was a nail biter of a chapter, which of course means it was very good! So just be happy you leave us wanting more. Well done!

So well done but.... Aarrgghh!!!   Wanting more is an understatement... 

• Like 1

Def, since we can't have what we want, we need to get our zen on an be patient. 

• Like 1

Devilsire, I am sad that Nobu has been placed in that sort of position with Viktor, being caught between a rock and a hard place. All I can do, is root for him :)

Oh! Reading this story has sparked my interest in Russian culture, especially the language! And I gotta say, the Cyrillic alphabet is kinda pretty :yes:

I mean, take a look at some of your characters names in Russian :D

Viktor: Виктор

Vladimir: Владимир

Mikhail: Михаил

Alexei: Алексей

Dimitry: Димитрий

That's really cool, spawnling! :D Thanks for sharing. How do you plan to learn Russian? At university or do you plan to teach yourself?

And please root for Nobu, he needs support right now. Thank goodness that . . .

The obligatory cliffhanger lamentation is not to be taken seriously. It was a nail biter of a chapter, which of course means it was very good! So just be happy you leave us wanting more. Well done!

:hug: thanks. I feel better.

One week. :)

Def, since we can't have what we want, we need to get our zen on an be patient. 

Ah, yes, Zen and patience is advised. Ask yourself, WWDD? (What Would Dante Do?) He'd play the long con. Patience is important in the world of the mobsters.

Thank you all for your support. You rock.

• Like 3

That's really cool, spawnling! :D Thanks for sharing. How do you plan to learn Russian? At university or do you plan to teach yourself?

Ah, yes, Zen and patience is advised. Ask yourself, WWDD? (What Would Dante Do?) He'd play the long con. Patience is important in the world of the mobsters.

Hehe, I'm not gonna learn how to speak it, but more on it's history. Heck, I may go ahead and dive deeper into the history of Russia as a whole! :D

Patience is a virtue :yes: Which begs the question, do we as Devils have virtues? :P

• Like 1

Hehe, I'm not gonna learn how to speak it, but more on it's history. Heck, I may go ahead and dive deeper into the history of Russia as a whole! :D

Patience is a virtue :yes: Which begs the question, do we as Devils have virtues? :P

Devils, my spawnling, are the most virtuous of all. After all, according to the legend, was it not the serpent who gave free will to man? Man was not free to choose virtues until we extended them the opportunity.

At least, that's what the Bible teaches. :P

Devils, my spawnling, are the most virtuous of all. After all, according to the legend, was it not the serpent who gave free will to man? Man was not free to choose virtues until we extended them the opportunity.

At least, that's what the Bible teaches. :P

True, plus we're technically Fallen Angels ;)

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 1

Trye, plus we're technically Fallen Angels ;)

Virtuous enough to fall. :) Isn't there some axiom about success being "getting up one more time than we've fallen"? I'm pretty certain those pretty angels who never fell don't know what success is. :evil:

A great line I heard today from a documentary on the state of LGBT rights in Japan:

"Homophobia is invisible here, and we have to fight this silent avoidance." 

Silent Avoidance. I've not heard of homophobia put that way before, but as I contemplate that phrase I realize that this is what my family does to me, and why there's still a wall between me and them. I also realize how often it happens all around me in Utah. Silent avoidance is bearable, but it's still not good enough. 

• Like 1