W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

But would anyone make the connection between a kid who grew up in the town twenty or so years earlier and a kid who moved in from out of state?  Even Brett himself didn't know the origin of his name, just that he was named after some special boy in his mom's life.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

But would anyone make the connection between a kid who grew up in the town twenty or so years earlier and a kid who moved in from out of state?  Even Brett himself didn't know the origin of his name, just that he was named after some special boy in his mom's life.

A kid who moved in from out of state and whose mother is being treated as a close friend by an influential family from the area, who just happened to be out of state about a year before the kid was born?  Maybe, if they paid any attention.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, glennish said:

Did you just drop us another hint???  We have heard that George isn't stupid a few times in this last book.  Could this be something hidden in a coin collection possibly???

I'll never tell!  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Shadow086 said:

A kid who moved in from out of state and whose mother is being treated as a close friend by an influential family from the area, who just happened to be out of state about a year before the kid was born?  Maybe, if they paid any attention.

"Jack McKenzie?  Respectable golden boy whose life is the very definition of integrity?  How kind of him to welcome this young single mother into the community!  And she's best friends with Heather McKenzie?  This beautiful lady who has charmed our beloved town?  Well!  Any friend of the McKenzie family is a friend of ours!  I'll bet she adopted that poor wild and out-of-control boy of hers."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

"Jack McKenzie?  Respectable golden boy whose life is the very definition of integrity?  How kind of him to welcome this young single mother into the community!  And she's best friends with Heather McKenzie?  This beautiful lady who has charmed our beloved town?  Well!  Any friend of the McKenzie family is a friend of ours!  I'll bet she adopted that poor wild and out-of-control boy of hers."

The signs were there, if anyone cared to see them.  But, people turn a blind eye and don't see the signs because it doesn't fit their perception of the McKenzie family.  I feel like a lot of people in town are going to go "How did I not see this, it was right in front of my eyes!" when the truth comes out.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It

Just now, Shadow086 said:

The signs were there, if anyone cared to see them.  But, people turn a blind eye and don't see the signs because it doesn't fit their expectation of the McKenzie family.  I feel like a lot of people in town are going to go "How did I not see this, it was right in front of my eyes!" when the truth comes out.

That's the motivation for "why keep it a secret for so long?"  It will destroy what Jack has spent his whole life building.  Maybe the cracks are beginning to show, but we see them because Billy sees them.  The greater community would never suspect.  For a man whose career has been built on his reputation as an upstanding and respected member of the community his whole life?  Having the town discover he fathered a child out-of-wedlock will cause irreparable damage.  Very few people have seen the side of Jack that Billy saw in the pastor's office.  Even Pastor Carl had left the room and it was just the two of them.  Most people only know the charming side of Jack, just like most people have no idea that Brett has a vicious side.  The intimidator only came out because Jack felt threatened by Billy, so he retaliated.  No one would care or be surprised if it came out that George had secret kid, or Frank.  They were known for trouble.  Jack is the kind of guy who never even gets a speeding ticket.  Who would even suspect him of something so terrible?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My point was that the greater community will come to realise that, in hindsight, the signs of Jack fathering a child out of wedlock were kind of obvious.  Especially now that said child is grown up and looks so much like his male relatives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Joey lives with him though.  We know Joey's seen the intimidating side of his father.  The kid was scared to death when he got suspended.

He also made some comments to Billy that strongly suggest he knows about Brett too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Shadow086 said:

My point was that the greater community will come to realise that, in hindsight, the signs of Jack fathering a child out of wedlock were kind of obvious.  Especially now that said child is grown up and looks so much like his male relatives.

It's easier to see things in the rear-view mirror than the windshield.  Billy only picked up on it because he's close to both Brett and Joey, and had been to Joey's house and seen Dr. Reilly in the wedding picture.  It wasn't until Billy noticed Jack's eyes when it all started to click.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I find it hard to believe that no one in town would notice how much the two boys look alike.  I'm not saying they would automatically notice that and say "Jack McKenzie had an affair!", but I'd expect at least a few people to notice, even if they don't think anything of it.

And, well, Billy's known to be slow to pick up on some things (like Brett smoking pot), so I don't know if that's a good indicator :P.

EDIT: Incidentally, it's the same reason the community doesn't see what Jack did:  "No way, Brett wouldn't do that, he's not a stoner!  No way, Dustin wouldn't do that, he's not gay!  No way, Jack McKenzie wouldn't do that, he's a fine and upstanding member of this community!  No way, Billy wouldn't do that, my son isn't gay!"  It's easy to not see things when you're in denial about them.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

I find it hard to believe that no one in town would notice how much the two boys look alike.  I'm not saying they would automatically notice that and say "Jack McKenzie had an affair!", but I'd expect at least a few people to notice, even if they don't think anything of it.

And, well, Billy's known to be slow to pick up on some things (like Brett smoking pot), so I don't know if that's a good indicator :P.

EDIT: Incidentally, it's the same reason the community doesn't see what Jack did:  "No way, Brett wouldn't do that, he's not a stoner!  No way, Dustin wouldn't do that, he's not gay!  No way, Jack McKenzie wouldn't do that, he's a fine and upstanding member of this community!  No way, Billy wouldn't do that, my son isn't gay!"

Maybe the river isn't the Monongahela, maybe it's... deNile!

I'm just imagining Billy: "His eyes were light blue, kind of like steel, but not grey or gray.  I mean, which is it?  Grey or gray?  But no, his eyes were kind of like smoke, but only a bluish tinge that reminded me of the sky, with some light fluffy clouds up above.  And maybe a little bloodshot from all the pot I had no clue he was smoking!!!!"

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Maybe the river isn't the Monongahela, maybe it's... deNile!

I'm just imagining Billy: "His eyes were light blue, kind of like steel, but not grey or gray.  I mean, which is it?  Grey or gray?  But no, his eyes were kind of like smoke, but only a bluish tinge that reminded me of the sky, with some light fluffy clouds up above.  And maybe a little bloodshot from all the pot I had no clue he was smoking!!!!"

After spraying on that air freshener because he likes the smell of lavender and not to cover up the smell from the pot he's definitely not smoking because he's not like that!!"

Edited by Shadow086
  • Haha 2

Your WAR preview for chapter 15 - The April Fool:

Attention all students and staff:

It has come to the attention of the administration and the board that there are students who are planning to sabotage this year’s senior prom with activities which are prohibited by our student code of conduct.  Therefore, let it be known that any couple wishing to attend any school dance/activity must be a male/female couple.  Same sex couples are not permitted to attend school events.  Any person who is found in violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary measures, including forfeiture of class rank, suspension from all school activities, or possible expulsion from school.

John Taylor, President MVSD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 3

Kind of extreme.  You'd think that even early 2000's this sort of thing wouldn't warrant possible expulsion/loss of class rank in a public school.  Might be discouraged, or even barred from the event but this is a little over the top.  Unless of course, the goal is not so much "family values" as it is to knock a certain student out of the running for valedictorian....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Israfil said:

Kind of extreme.  You'd think that even early 2000's this sort of thing wouldn't warrant possible expulsion/loss of class rank in a public school.  Might be discouraged, or even barred from the event but this is a little over the top.  Unless of course, the goal is not so much "family values" as it is to knock a certain student out of the running for valedictorian....

I'm sure this sort of thing would be common today in some places if they could get away with it.  Mention of the class rank makes it pretty obvious what the real goal is here.  It's never about "family values", look at Jack.  My bet is that certain student will tell John Taylor where he can shove his class rank and show up with his boyfriend anyway.  And who knows, this might not even be relevant if John has to resign in disgrace before prom. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 3/2/2018 at 10:12 AM, jkwsquirrel said:

Jack McKenzie?  Respectable golden boy whose life is the very definition of integrity?

On 3/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, jkwsquirrel said:

For a man whose career has been built on his reputation as an upstanding and respected member of the community his whole life?  Having the town discover he fathered a child out-of-wedlock will cause irreparable damage. 

Look at how many political careers have died as a result of an illegitimate child being discovered! (What a horrible thing to be that child whose mere existence is a reminder of exposed infidelity and the death of a political career. You’d never be able to escape the notoriety! Someone would find out and remind you even many decades later!)  ;-)

I wonder if Jack as lawyer for the school board had a say in the legalities of this decree??  It does seem to me that it is only aimed at one person though.. I wonder if there are any lesbians in school to pair up with Billy and Brett..  Also, Going stag to a dance has always been an option, Are the in trouble if they show up solo??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, glennish said:

I wonder if Jack as lawyer for the school board had a say in the legalities of this decree??  It does seem to me that it is only aimed at one person though.. I wonder if there are any lesbians in school to pair up with Billy and Brett..  Also, Going stag to a dance has always been an option, Are the in trouble if they show up solo??

I don't think Jack has much power in these decisions, though.  You know what would be nice?  If B&B had the connections to make sure that either a)nobody shows up; or b)the entire school comes to prom as "same-sex couples".  He can't have the entire senior class expelled, now can he?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2