Halloween Traditions

If I hadn't become a recluse, I'd probably still dress up and go to one of the numerous costume parties I'm invited to every year. But I have become a recluse, so I don't.

I love Jack'O'Lanterns, and if my apartment complex allowed them, I'd absolutely still carve a pumpkin every year and place it on my balcony. There's something magically nostalgic about seeing the flames flickering behind those carved faces.

Last year, while writing "Mask of the Hunter", I delved into the spiritual traditions behind Samhain, one of several holidays which has contributed many of the traditions of Halloween which we celebrate today. I fell in love with many of the spiritual aspects, such as the spirit of renewal that advances with the death of the world in fall, and it's incubation during winter, and this year I plan to hold my own, private, Samhain celebration as well as I can manage. Even took the time off work.

• Like 1

My husband dresses up in his renn faire pirate costume and we hand out candy. My sister brings my nephew down to our house (since they live on a mountain in WVA) and my girls take him around the neighborhood. Most of the time my mom and dad come over and hang out as well.

Our neighbors are all out and we just have a good time socializing between trick or treaters. :)

• Like 2

No traditions or anything here. When I was a kid - 8 or 10 maybe - we used to dress up with a friend and go trick or treating if Halloween was on a weekend/Wednesday or school holidays, otherwise nothing plus I'm not big on dressing up or costume parties.

But since it kinda fell out of fashion so to speak. You don't really find costumes in the shops/malls but the toys for Christmas are already there!

In France we're more into Mardi Gras :)

• Like 1

In Sweden, it's been a growing thing for some years. When I grew up (70s-80s), there was no Halloween at all. We went around dressed up at witches for Easter instead (no tricking though, only Easter well wishes in the form of drawings of chickens, eggs and rabbits).

Now, it'a mostly kids dressing up at school/daycare. Some go around asking for candy, but since I live in a tall building in the middle of the city, not many kids get in the door. Still there's not much tricking going on. An occasional egg thrown, but no more than that. The adults sometimes have costume parties, but that's mostly the younger ones. Come to think of it, it would be fun to have a Halloween party. I just need to find the energy... LOL  

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

If I am home, then I buy way more candy than I need for the handful of trick-or-treaters that I get and eat all the rest. lol  I've spent a few Halloweens visiting my BFF, and I would go with her and her family to the town trick-or-treating event.  I love Halloween.  I would say it's my favorite holiday. :)

• Like 1

If I am home, then I buy way more candy than I need for the handful of trick-or-treaters that I get and eat all the rest. lol

If it counts as a tradition then yes I guess we do have one.

Every year mom buys lot of candies but they're usually eaten before Halloween day :gikkle: we dont really have kids trick-or-treating anyway so...

• Like 2

Blanket, junk food, horror movies and pretending that no ones home, that candy is mine. Kids get enough of it, I don't  :P

YUP!

we used to dress up and go to house parties, but where is the time to create outlandish costumes?

• Like 1

My sister used to have a cook out every year with everyone expected to dress up.  After eating the kids would all go trick or treating while the adults, cough, would sample a few adult beverages.  Participation started dwindling as the kids grew up and she stopped holding them a few years back.  Now I just buy about 12 tons of candy "just in case" I get a trick or treater.  Last year was a record - I had 3!  But not all bad - just means more candy for me!

• Like 1

Now I just buy about 12 tons of candy "just in case" I get a trick or treater.  Last year was a record - I had 3!  But not all bad - just means more candy for me!

If you don't turn on the porch light, you can keep it ALL for yourself -- at least, that's  been my experience! :P

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When I lived in the City, I thought I would run out of candy, so I bought a ton of it. We only averaged like.. five or so stops by trick-o-treaters though. The.. "Church parking lot.." or "Courthouse" version of Trick-o-treating has taken hold here though. People just walk around a circle and then go home. I honestly don't see the point in the trouble.. lol. Just go out and buy a ton of your favorite candy.. hope no one shows up.. then eat it and be happy. :P

Out here where I live now, I know not to expect anyone aside from family members that want to show me their costumes. *Doesn't stop me from buying the same amount of candy though. :D

Other traditions.. a game night. Our family does game night during Halloween. Some people dress up, some people don't. Since I have to dress up with the three kiddies anyway, I do dress up.. :P

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1