Good Gay Theme Movies

I started organizing my old Frameline Festival Programs, using plastic magazine holders to store them in 3-ring binders. I was looking through them, scanning for autographs that I had gotten over the years. I was surprised to see when some of the more popular LGBTQ films were shown at Frameline.

When I first started attending Frameline, I’d pick a few programs to attend. I wasn’t particularly adventurous and often selected movies based primarily on the picture of the pretty boys (note to filmmakers: make sure to include a sexy picture of shirtless young men with your promotional materials even if that’s not the focus of your movie). There were many movie I didn’t bother to see at the Festival that I later saw on DVD.

These days I get a Castro Pass and camp out in the theater for a week and a half. I often enjoy movies I would not have purchased tickets for based on the program description. It’s good to get out of your comfort zone occasionally – even if you’re Risk Averse like me!  ‘–)

My thoughts on the programs I saw at Frameline42 are posted in The Pit.  ;–)

So, I'm sitting here sobbing like a baby because I just watched Call Me By Your Name. So, thanks for that, guys. :P Also, I will never look at a peach the same way again for as long as I live.

EDIT: Also, Sufjan Stevens, I love!! ❤️ 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

So, I'm sitting here sobbing like a baby because I just watched Call Me By Your Name. So, thanks for that, guys. :P Also, I will never look at a peach the same way again for as long as I live.

Did you know a sequel is coming. They have the script and the entire cast has signed on. :D  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

OMG, you just made my day!! <3<3<3<3 

This movie so needs a sequel. I loved every bit of it, and as much as I understood the ending and accepted it... I felt just a little cheated. I hope they can create the same magic. The movie will take place five years later in their lives when Elio is about 23. :) 

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 7:24 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Gay movies I've seen, and enjoyed:

Billy Elliot (2000)

Jitters [Órói, in the original Icelandic] (2010)

Heartstone (2016)

Nico and Dani (2000)

Departure (2015)

Geography Club (2013)

Ready? Okay! (2008)

Breakfast with Scot (2007)

Dream Boy (2008)

Mysterious Skin (2004)

Du Er Ikke Alene [You Are Not Alone] (1978)

The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros (2005)

Wild Tigers I Have Known (2005)

Love, Simon (2018)

Love Trip (2009), short film, available on YouTube

Handsome Devil (2016)

Lad: A Yorkshire Story (2013)

Summer Storm (2004)

White Frog (2012)

Gay movies I have yet to watch:

Akron

Call Me By Your Name

Screwed (2017)

Center of My World (2016)

Something Like Summer (2017)

The Blue Hour (2015)

Patrik, Age 1.5 (2008)

Beautiful Thing (1996)

Hidden Kisses (2016)

Fögi is a Bastard (1998)

Silent Youth (2015)

Lad: A Yorkshire Story and Handsome Devil have been moved to the "Watched" list, thanks to Netflix/Amazon Prime. White Frog, Hidden Kisses, Fögi is a Bastard, and Silent Youth have been added to the "Yet to watch" list. I also added Summer Storm to the "Watched" list, which I forgot about when I first wrote it.  :)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Well, I have an audible credit, and it's read by Armie Hammer, so . . . starting that tomorrow, I guess. :P 

Many audio books are abridged versions of the original. I don’t know if Audible does that or not. If it is abridged, that detail would be something they’d probably edit out…  ;–)

On 9/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, droughtquake said:

You should read the book to discover what really happened with the peach!  ;–)

I read (listened to) the book. I know about the peach. Now I will really, really never look at a peach the same way ever again...

Good book, though.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
On 9/26/2018 at 11:26 PM, Thorn Wilde said:

So, I've been on a movie binge today. I watched Call Me By Your Name, Handsome Devil, and Love, Simon. And then I rewatched The Way He Looks because it's one of my favourites and it gives me happies. :) 

I've started to watch The Way He Looks a couple of times, but got interrupted (or fell asleep) each time. Thanks for the reminder. :) 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I've started to watch The Way He Looks a couple of times, but got interrupted (or fell asleep) each time. Thanks for the reminder. :) 

It's hands down one of my absolute favourite films, I think. I watched it when it was seventeen minute short on YouTube, (called Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho/I Don't Want To Go Back Alone), before they got the funds to make a full length film. It was fantastic already then, but I was so happy when I found the full length one. 

Same actors. Check it out.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Ghilherme Lobo does an amazing job portraying the visually impaired Leonardo! This was one of many great films I’ve seen at Frameline. (Support your local LGBT film festival!)  ;–)

29 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I watched that movie last night, and I saw White Frog this afternoon.  Booboo Stewart gives a good performance, and he's such a sweetie. It's his best movie, in my opinion.  :*)

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pulling this from one of the older threads I linked previously:

On 2/6/2016 at 9:19 PM, MJ85 said:

The Broken Hearts Club (2000). Fairly ordinary, but it's actually a pretty nice film. It doesn't end overtly happily or sadly, but it doesn't really need to.

I finally ordered this off Amazon, and it came in last weekend. Watched it once, then proceeded to watch it three more times. Why did I not pick this up sooner? :P

Also, a couple weeks ago, the local LGBT non-profit around here was a co-sponsor of an entry into a film festival, which was the Finnish film A Moment in the Reeds. Definitely an engaging film, even if I could only lament how it ended. :(

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, MJ85 said:

I finally ordered this off Amazon, and it came in last weekend. Watched it once, then proceeded to watch it three more times. Why did I not pick this up sooner? :P

How can it miss when it features Frazier’s Dad, Lois & Clark’s Superman, and Dr JD (from Scrubs) – and even a cameo by Jack McPhee (Dawson’s Creek)?  ;–)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

How can it miss when it features Frazier’s Dad, Lois & Clark’s Superman, and Dr JD (from Scrubs) – and even a cameo by Jack McPhee (Dawson’s Creek)?  ;–)

And in a strange case of life imitates art:

Mahoney's character dies during the course of the movie; I checked to see how old he was now, not realizing that he himself had also died only earlier this year.

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm glad this thread is no longer archived. There may only be comments intermittently but they're all interesting.

I watched a fascinating documentary on TV the other night. Ice skating normally has zero interest for me, but this study of John Curry was both enlightening and sad, often focussing on him as an openly gay athlete in the late 1970s, early 80s. The Ice King is worth finding online.

Edited by northie
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, northie said:

I watched a fascinating documentary on TV the other night. Ice skating normally has zero interest for me, but this study of John Curry was both enlightening and sad, often focussing on him as an openly gay athlete in the late 1970s, early 80s. The Ice King is worth finding online.

I got to see this on the big screen. I don’t remember the events myself even though I lived through that time period. But the documentary was fascinating!  ;–)