Good Gay Theme Movies

On 07/05/2017 at 7:07 AM, William King said:

Another good British film is Pride (2014), based on a real history and about the miners strike in Thatchers Britain in the 80's.

Oh my! Thank you so much for the headsup on this movie William.

A great story by itself but so much greater with the realisation that the events and outcomes are a portrayal of what really happened.

• Like 4

Here is the trailer for L'inconnu du Lac - Stranger by the Lake.

I found it interesting with the suspense of a good thriller and the honest portrayal of gay causing - European films are much less constrained about nudity than perhaps American films.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, William King said:

Here is the trailer for L'inconnu du Lac - Stranger by the Lake.

I found it interesting with the suspense of a good thriller and the honest portrayal of gay causing - European films are much less constrained about nudity than perhaps American films.

This is also on NF... I appreciate that they always have a variety of LGBT cinema. Both domestic and foreign!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

This is also on NF... I appreciate that they always have a variety of LGBT cinema. Both domestic and foreign!

My niece, who works for Netflix will be happy to hear your endorsement. But my cousin who works for Amazon would be quick to point out that they have an even better selection. (iTunes also offers a fairly large selection of the movies mentioned.)

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My niece, who works for Netflix will be happy to hear your endorsement. But my cousin who works for Amazon would be quick to point out that they have an even better selection. )iTunes also offers a fairly large selection of the movies mentioned.)

Yes... This is true. Amazon and iTunes of rental/purchase. I mean membership wise. Most that are on Amazon Prime are less than stellar.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Some of us cannot afford the monthly Netflix charges… (I don’t know my niece well enough to ask for a charity membership.)

That wasn't meant to be a slam. We're in same boat. I have NF instead of renting. I find a 4-6 charge for rental too rich for me.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

That wasn't meant to be a slam. We're in same boat. I have NF instead of renting. I find a 4-6 charge for rental too rich for me.

I didn’t take it that way. I was thinking more in terms of others who might be reading this and not feel comfortable viewing things on Netflix (maybe they don’t want parents to know?). My impression is that purchasing an iTunes gift card might allow someone to view a movie more discreetly with a separate account that family is unaware of (Apple doesn’t make it easy to merge accounts later though).

I have a pity NF account. aka Mooching off of other Family Members.

I find People If Raid After Time Is Nothing Good, is fairly popular to get hard to find shows. Not that I would advocate such a thing. :P

Edited by BHopper2
My horrible spelling.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I loved watching this movie. Even with the subtitles!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I have a pity NF account. aka Mooching off of other Family Members.

I find People If Raid After Time Eat Is Nothing Good, is fairly popular to get hard to find shows. Not that I would advocate such a thing. :P

And I wouldn’t know anything about seeding and leeching or anything…  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

(Eat should be deleted.) And I wouldn’t know anything about seeding and leeching or anything…  ;-)

*coughs* Thanks.

• Like 1

I also want to recommend Mentor, a documentary about a high school in a Cleveland, Ohio suburb which often appears in Most Livable Cities lists.

Spoiler

It’s about bullying, but is not solely about anti-LGBT bullying. When I saw it at Frameline, the producers said they had tried to get it shown in Mentor, but had been rejected and were looking at getting it booked somewhere in a Cleveland theater. The school was still denying it had a problem and the city had circled the wagons, trying to protect its ‘perfect’ image.

Always remember Real Men Wear Pink!

Edited by Former Member

If you live in an enlightened area like I do, libraries often allow you to check out DVDs. You might be surprised at what you find! Librarians and bookstores are usually very big on objecting to censorship and banned books.

Most people are aware of Y Tu Mamá Tambien (And Your Mother Too) which introduced most of us to Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal.

Spoiler

Garcia Bernal has mostly done Spanish language work, but Luna is now known around the world for Rogue One – he was also in the movie, Milk. The two are good friends, cofounded Ambulante AC (an organization and film festival that brings documentary films to places they are rarely shown), and own Canana Films.

The Way He Looks is a Brazilian film that isn’t as well known as it should be.

Spoiler

Leonardo is a blind high school student, Giovana is his best friend, and Gabriel is their new classmate. Ghilherme Lobo, who plays Leo, is simply amazing (he does not have vision impairment like his character). Brazil selected the movie as its entry for the Academy Awards, but it wasn’t nominated.

Edited by Former Member

For something completely different, very fast paced, and colorful, try Metrosexuality.

Spoiler

It was originally broadcast on UK’s Channel 4 and I saw it at Frameline in two blocks with episodes back to back complete with opening and closing credits. On the DVD, they’ve edited the episodes into one continuous movie with the individual credit sequences as a bonus feature since the sequences are slightly different for the each episodes.

When they were editing the episodes, they deleted any pauses or hesitations so the pace is very fast. Rikki Beadle-Blair is very creative and inventive. The story takes place in Notting Hill, but Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts are nowhere to be seen. The plot resembles the wildest soap opera ever imagined.

I’ve never seen anything like it before or since. And I see a lot of LGBTQ movies every year. 

Edited by Former Member

For tonight’s selection, I have two movies I enjoyed. They’re both set at least partially in Southern California. The Trip (2002) involves Tommy and Alan and their periodic connections over the course of a decade and a half.

Spoiler

Warning: really bad wigs. Look for a ‘brick’ cell phone. The soundtrack includes America’s Horse with No Name, The Pointer Sister’s Jump (For My Love), and Bruce Springsteen’s Cover Me.

The second movie is Latter Days.

Spoiler

A Mormon Missionary meets an LA party boy. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jacqueline Bisset, and Mary Kay Place have secondary roles. The writer/director wrote most of the music on the soundtrack.

Edited by Former Member

Tonight’s theme is 17.

The first selection is Being 17.

Spoiler

This is a French movie set in the Pyrenees with two teens from different backgrounds (and who don’t like each other) being forced to live together while the mother of one of them is dealing with a difficult pregnancy.

The second is the Edge of 17 (1998).

Spoiler

This was the debut of Tina Holmes as Maggie, Eric’s best friend. (Tina would go on to play another Maggie in a recurring role on Six Feet Under, and was also featured in Shelter.) Between their Junior and Senior years of high school, Eric and Maggie get jobs at the local amusement park where they meet Rod, a Gay college student and their boss, Angie (Lea DeLaria), a big butch dyke (as Lea describes herself).

A bonus movie is The Edge of 17 (2016), a Lesbian movie that has had very good reviews.

Spoiler

Hailee Seinfeld, Woody Harrelson, and Kyra Sedgwick star. (I haven’t seen it myself.)

Edited by Former Member
2 minutes ago, MJ85 said:

For your consideration...there are two previous "Gay films" threads.

One is quite a bit older: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/16686-gay-films/

The other, not so much: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/40672-lgbt-filmsmovies/

Try these. ;)

Thanks! My search-fu wasn't working that well when I started this thread. :P  Loving all the suggestions.

• Like 1

There were some movies mentioned that I thought were really bad. As an example, all the Filipino movies I’ve seen suffered from very low production values.

The choices were all over the map. Kind of like a good film festival. Samplings from all the various segments of the LGBTQ spectrum. But I did notice that only a few Lesbian movies were mentioned (Better Than Chocolate, being the one I can remember and that I do recommend). And as usual, what some posters raved about, others hated.

Maybe the lists could be streamlined if only the titles were mentioned with plots and other details hidden in the Spoiler tag? That way anyone scanning for titles would see just the info needed and yet more details are still available when someone is interested. (I’d be willing to go back and edit my posts, if anyone likes this idea.)

I still have recommendations that weren’t mentioned in either of the other threads…

Private Romeo is Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet set in a young men's military academy with an all male cast. I enjoyed this movie a lot.

The movie is available to buy and rent on Amazon (free to watch with Prime), and you can buy (maybe rent) it on iTunes.

• Like 2

And the theme this time is Lesbians of varying ages and locations.

F*cking Åmaål (Show Me Love) is a Swedish film.

Spoiler

Although it’s named after the town of Åmål, the only scenes filmed there were cut and most of the movie was filmed in Trollhättan, known to true Saab fans for its factory – ‘My Saab was built by Trolls in Trollhätten’ was a popular bumper sticker.

It’s a cute story of two teenaged girls beginning a relationship.

Liz en Septiembre (Liz in September) is a Venezuelan film.

Spoiler

Liz is celebrating her birthday at a hotel by the seaside. Eva’s car breaks down and is referred to that same hotel when she needs a place to stay while the car is being repaired. Eva doesn’t realize she’s the only straight woman at the hotel. There is a bet made and Liz attempts to seduce Eva.

As mentioned in one of the other threads, the Canadian film, Better than Chocolate, is another movie to see. Age-wise, I guess it would fit here.

Hannah Free is an American movie. (No subtitles!)

Spoiler

70-something Hannah is being kept away from her lifelong friend and lover Rachel by Rachel’s daughter Marge. Rachel is in a nursing home and is not expected to emerge from a coma. A mysterious 21-year-old Greta intervenes.

Sharon Gless is Hannah. While Gless might now be best known for playing Debbie Novotny in the US version of Queer as Folk, she became a Lesbian icon for playing the unmarried Christine Cagney in Cagney & Lacey (Tyne Daly played the married Mary Beth Lacey). The role was originally played by Loretta Swit in a TV movie, but the producers of M*A*S*H refused to let her out of her contract. During the first season of the show, the role was played by Meg Foster, but she was replaced by Gless because CBS thought Foster was too aggressive and too likely to be perceived as a Lesbian!

Currently streaming on North American Netflix, Esteros is an Argentine drama about two childhood friends who reunite as adults and realize their mutual attraction hasn't faded. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a sweet and pleasant way to spend 81 minutes.

• Like 1

There are a couple documentaries about movies that are interesting.

The Celluloid Closet shows references and hints in movies from back before the subject was discussed in the open. It was narrated by Lily Tomlin and was originally shown on HBO.

Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema is probably less well known (it doesn’t even had a Wikipedia page like The Celluloid Closet). It’s anchored by B Ruby Rich.

Learn your history kids!  ;-)