Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Northern Exposure: General Discussion

I am so excited to see something from you Mark.  I also will be interested to see that we will hear a little about Hornblower.   I agree that those books are a great read.

Again, great to see you once again out and about on this site.

• Like 3

As an avid reader of stories on GA, I particularly like the series. Along with the CJ series by Carlos this is one that has captured my attention to the point that I have re-read the entire series to-date at least 6 times!! Welcome back Mark...love the story and really like your style of story telling.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts on the Hornblower connection here.  As I've said before, the Hornblower saga by CS Forester is one of my all-time favorites.  Having a character in the same era as Hornblower makes incorporating pieces of that story into this one almost irresistible to me.

Those of you who have read the saga will know that Hornblower is largely oblivious to things that happen behind the scenes.  He seems to have acquired friends and supporters along the way, but he didn't seem to understand how those people could/would/did advance his career.  This seemed like an ideal way to bring Granger into the mix.  I hope you agree.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mark Arbour said:

Some thoughts on the Hornblower connection here.  As I've said before, the Hornblower saga by CS Forester is one of my all-time favorites.  Having a character in the same era as Hornblower makes incorporating pieces of that story into this one almost irresistible to me.

Those of you who have read the saga will know that Hornblower is largely oblivious to things that happen behind the scenes.  He seems to have acquired friends and supporters along the way, but he didn't seem to understand how those people could/would/did advance his career.  This seemed like an ideal way to bring Granger into the mix.  I hope you agree.

I am sure our humble buddy Hornblower and our hero Granger will make a dynamic pair.

• Like 2

I read and re reread Hornblower and did book reports from eighth to twelfth grade on Forester.   I refer to this as the Gay Hornblower series.  They are from such diverse social spheres that it is hard to get beyond a "Harrumph" in their relationship.  Yet you are correct that Horatio did earn support from powerful and well connected colleagues, so George's support and friendship is not surprising.  Thanks for his presence.  Hornblower has been somewhat overshadowed by other and I find that unfortunate. Pax.  Steve

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

I half way expected to look in here and see Mark had posted a new chapter for us to be THANKFUL for.  Mark if you happen to see this just know that we are all eagerly awaiting the next installment of this story.

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, JimCarter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I half way expected to look in here and see Mark had posted a new chapter for us to be THANKFUL for.  Mark if you happen to see this just know that we are all eagerly awaiting the next installment of this story.

Well, Mark this last chapter was a little late for Thanksgiving, I for one,  enjoyed it.  Of course, since I have read this new chapter.   I am looking forward to the next.  :worship:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest update on our beloved Grainger raised some interesting questions; a ranking Admiral that Caroline hadn't heard of.... that's a first and given that and his subsequent behaviour, a  certain sign of trouble. The second is one I hadnt given much thought about; renumeration. Of course "lucky" officers renumeration would have been considerably higher than those who could not get themselves into situations  (through skill, connections,  or circumstance) where the rewards flowed.  The final question, which I mentioned in the commentary, how a Cavendish, even one bent, with one leg, couldnt get a better wife than a tradesmans daughter with a reputation implies significant failure on his parents behalf. Surely Caroline can line some impoverished aristo's daughter to sacrifice herself? Mind you Cavendish has to avoid/survive the duel first...

What a lot in one chapter. I continue to be impressed Mr Arbour!

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..