[dkstories] Just noticed somthing...

The evil Dr. Darnell is missing from DOR, however, the kid who davey gets in a fight with in DOR, chapter 19 (the shower room scene) the kid's last name is Darnell.... crazy eh! (i am re-reading DO series.... AGAIN (4th time))

--brax

The evil Dr. Darnell is missing from DOR, however, the kid who davey gets in a fight with in DOR, chapter 19 (the shower room scene) the kid's last name is Darnell.... crazy eh! (i am re-reading DO series.... AGAIN (4th time))

--brax

I wonder if that's a coincidence, or a relative? That was in Eureka, IIRC, so not the same town or state.. Hmmmm... Could be a coincidence, as I just checked in my local phone book (for a town not much bigger then Eureka) and there are four Darnells listed, so I'm guessing it's a common name.

BTW, good catch! I usually miss details like that.

As for character names and information, I really can't comprehend how Dan does it. This story is incredibly complex due to the timelines, and has a lot of minor characters, and I can't figure out how Dan keeps them all straight.

As for character names and information, I really can't comprehend how Dan does it. This story is incredibly complex due to the timelines, and has a lot of minor characters, and I can't figure out how Dan keeps them all straight.

He does?

BTW: Hi all. I've been lurking here for a while - Dan's fan since Mists of Fate (I can't remember where I've stumbled upon it first...). Oh, and don't mind my English, it's not my first language and a little bit rusty.

He does?

BTW: Hi all. I've been lurking here for a while - Dan's fan since Mists of Fate (I can't remember where I've stumbled upon it first...). Oh, and don't mind my English, it's not my first language and a little bit rusty.

Oh yes he does !

I suppose he certainly use a well organised data base about all the actors, like I would do :2thumbs:

It comes from what you learn "und practice" when you are serving ....

BTW : your English is OK, We are a lot in the same situation .

I've found an occasional inconsistency, some of which I've shared with Dan, but I haven't embarrassed him by making it public (at least yet).

--Rigel

He does?

He's better at it than I am! :read:

He's better at it than I am! :read:

Okok, don't kill me yet :) , I was simply refering to James statement about how Dan keeps all his characters straight.

I certainly agree that Dan's stories are very consistent. I remeber I had some doubts about DoT but I cannot pinpoint anything now. Perhaps during next rereading? :)

Sometimes I do mess up when it comes to consistency...Robert catches a few of the mistakes, Emoe catches others, and a lot of times I'll go back and re-read chapters to make sure I've got it right.

For Dawn of Tears...that story is so complex I created a matrix guide to the story in Excel. I refer to it quite often to make sure I've got things right. I really should have done something like that for Do Over, but the truth is I never planned for it to go beyond the original so I've had less success on consistency (um, Robert, is it Sandy or Susan? - yeah Robert's got that question a lot while we're sitting at home and I'm typing).

If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll even ask Robert to go looking something up for me (like - What was that Social Worker's name? You know...the one who tried to screw Davey over by putting him in the religious household...and he'll be nice and go look it up to tell me it was Mrs. Flores).

Sometimes I just pray I get it right and no one notices...or I tell myself it's an 'easter egg' for some crazed fan to find and bring up...

Okok, don't kill me yet :) , I was simply referring to James statement about how Dan keeps all his characters straight.

Ahhh! Well, yes, I did use a poor choice of words there, didn't I? Dan may keep his characters very consistent, but many of them certainly aren't straight. :D:D:D:D:D

I for one am certainly glad of this! IMHO, gay fiction just wouldn't be the same if every character was straight... :P:P:P

I for one am certainly glad of this! IMHO, gay fiction just wouldn't be the same if every character was straight...

Would that make it straight fiction? And why do we call it gay fiction anyway? :blink:

Emoe - Don't you have like three chapters of stories that I sent you to be editing?

Get to work!

Oh and Happy Cinco De Mayo!

And yes, I just sent in chapter 11 to Myr for posting when he gets home from work...or whenever he gets a chance really...

One more thing...Brax...the Darnell in DOR was unrelated to DO Darnell...sometimes I throw in names like that to see if readers catch it...sometims I just pick a name from a phone book, a yearbook, or something like that.

In this case...it was from a newspaper article I read that day.

Emoe - Don't you have like three chapters of stories that I sent you to be editing?

Um, and where do we apply some pressure? :D

Kidding, of course. I am always for quality rather then quantity. 0:)

Let's see...one of them is the next chapter of Service...which won't be posted until next week anyway (and the chapter AFTER that is already written by another author). Another two are the DIR chapters 12 & 13 (I think...he might have already gotten 12 back to me...I need to finish up DIR 14 which is about 3/4 done and send that to him as well). Any way you cut it, though, the next few chapters of the stories are all done and will be posted on the regular schedule...One on Frday, One on Tuesday, until all the chapters I have canned are all posted. Then there were will be delays until after the campaign season as I struggle to find time to write.

If I'm lucky, I might keep up the pace of 1-2 chapters per week. If I do that...you'll get fresh chapters regularly. If I don't...there will be delays...sorry, it's just the way things are...

Get to work!

I've already read them all! Its been a slow day here *knocks on wood so the phone doesn't ring* so three Dan chapters was a blessing. First pass - they don't bleed too bad but then I get so engrossed in the story that I forget to edit. Its those deadly, second passes that strike blood.

Um, and where do we apply some pressure?
abc: How about at the shoulders and work your way down :2thumbs:

Dan: I noticed you didn't comment on the third chapter so I'll just say I liked it too but let your muse be your guide (or Robert, if he wants to concoct another joke like April Fools - that was awesome). Anyway, thanks for the great gift today. I used them to fill my morning and I blew off a work assignment due by 4. Guess I better get started on that now. ;)

For Dawn of Tears...that story is so complex I created a matrix guide to the story in Excel. I refer to it quite often to make sure I've got things right. I really should have done something like that for Do Over, but the truth is I never planned for it to go beyond the original so I've had less success on consistency (um, Robert, is it Sandy or Susan? - yeah Robert's got that question a lot while we're sitting at home and I'm typing).

I was trying to remember what caused my doubts and I think it was not really an inconsistency. It was that I had to suspend disbelief and the stake I had used was showing signs of cracking.

What I had found hard to believe was fragility of state in the face of events that you described. Lack of continuous deliveries of oil could be devastating for economy, but would it really create such an anarchy?

Sometimes I just pray I get it right and no one notices...or I tell myself it's an 'easter egg' for some crazed fan to find and bring up...

:)

"That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

Edited by abc

If you doubt the fragility of the state...look at the Soviet Union in 1991, or East Germany in 1989.

The Berlin Wall fell because East Germany had a clerical error. The Government promised to give people short (a couple of days) passes into West Berlin, but forgot to establish with their customs department how those passes would be distributed, and who could get them. When it came time to get the passes, the Customs/Border Guards didn't have any orders on how to give them out and so they didn't give them out...

People protested, they turned into riots, and the Berlin Wall fell.

It fell because of a bureaucratic error...society is always more fragile than any of us would like to believe.

(Yes, there were a LOT more forces at work...but when a powderkeg is made, it only takes one event to set it off)

Ok, it's like you said, when a powderkeg is made, it only takes one event to set it off, can't argue with that.

What I was trying to say was that in my opinion the powder keg wasn't full yet, or that the powder wasn't dry enough.

However, I think that I need to refresh my memory and reread DoT before I'll start to bend vaguely remembered facts to my theory. :)

Ok, it's like you said, when a powderkeg is made, it only takes one event to set it off, can't argue with that.

What I was trying to say was that in my opinion the powder keg wasn't full yet, or that the powder wasn't dry enough.

However, I think that I need to refresh my memory and reread DoT before I'll start to bend vaguely remembered facts to my theory. :)

Unfortunately, it seems to be the case that the more advanced a technological society is, the more fragile it becomes. Take a look at the societal breakdown that occurred in New Orleans after the hurricane: granted it was exaggerated in the press, but society certainly proved fragile, soon descending to the law of the gun in some areas.

US society is indeed fuel-dependant, far more than most. Unfortunately, that means that a major disruption in the fuel supply would likely cause a breakdown in society. In my opinion, Dan's scenario in DOT (with the exception of "control") is not far-fetched at all.

Incidentally, for a look at the dynamics of past societies due to resource depletion (mainly due to overpopulation) plus some contemporary examples (such as Rwanda) I highly recommend the book "Collapse" by Dimond. It's not fictional, and contains some good research and insights.

Just my two cent's worth...

And yes, I just sent in chapter 11 to Myr for posting when he gets home from work...or whenever he gets a chance really...

Hmmmmm... That was written on Friday, and it's now late Saturday, and other chapters of other stories have been posted today. Are you sure the e-mail got through?

awwwweee i feel so loved... i'm a "crazed fan" :P

hahahaha i've had exams!!!! maybe this week i'll have time to find my way into a sporting goods store.... rual georgia isnt exactly the best place to find "novelties" for DK :o

rual georgia isnt exactly the best place to find "novelties" for DK :o
Oh, I don't know - I think any of those cute farm hands would make an excellent gift. Have him show up wearing only a sack of Vidalia onions on his shoulder. And since Dan has Robert, he can pass the farm stud on to poor little lonely ole me :devil: