On January 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM, droughtquake said:

I hate bean sprouts! But alfalfa sprouts are great!

I put out a weekly menu for our local farmers market. Last week I ass-umed and wrote that Julie’s sprouts were bean sprouts. Here is her indignant response: "Sprouts should say: Broccoli, Clover, fenugreek, radish, alfalfa NOT bean.” I stand corrected. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, knotme said:

I put out a weekly menu for our local farmers market. Last week I ass-umed and wrote that Julie’s sprouts were bean sprouts. Here is her indignant response: "Sprouts should say: Broccoli, Clover, fenugreek, radish, alfalfa NOT bean.” I stand corrected. 

Did she have you taste a few samples? Even more than just seeing the difference, the tastes should keep them distinctive in your mind. Alfalfa sprouts are much more delicate than (mung) bean sprouts, and a little grassy in flavor.  ;-)

On 2/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, droughtquake said:

Did she have you taste a few samples?

Our health department requires that samples be prepared by someone who has passed a basic food safety course and obtained a free permit. So, few samples.  :huh: And I’m almost too busy there to shop.  But now that I know that the sprouts are not bean sprouts, I may buy some for my salads. 

Edited by knotme
Corrected misinformation,
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

OH!

it's Tuesday already!!!

that means less than 24 hours until the next MOJO chapter

everyone ready for more shenanigans and goings on?

Thanks, Molly :heart:

We'll see if Kohl's 'magic' is working on the house occupants; you never know who could wind up with who :yes: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I’m mindful, lest I get too invested, that Mojo’s characters exist both for their own rights and also as frameworks for satire. But maybe I can delve a bit into Lloyd’s shrines, because they illuminate not only Lloyd but also the possible role of religion in Mojo. With all the grifting, shams, and dishonesty afoot, I think these shrines are what they appear to be. The purpose of religion is to relieve suffering, my prof of Buddhism emphasized repeatedly a few years ago. We lead lives of uncontrollable chaos. Religions offer frameworks for deep faith, which can bring the comforts of abiding absolutes, simplicities, and certainties. Lloyd’s particular objects of worship raise the question of legitimacy of religions. I leave that question on the table and turn to the ideas that religions inflict an unending stream of unintended consequences, and that our persistent personifications of deities may lull us into a false sense of security. What do these notions imply for Mojo?

Edited by knotme
wording
  • Like 3
On 2/7/2018 at 9:27 PM, knotme said:

I’m mindful, lest I get too invested, that Mojo’s characters exist both for their own rights and also as frameworks for satire. But maybe I can delve a bit into Lloyd’s shrines, because they illuminate not only Lloyd but also the possible role of religion in Mojo. With all the grifting, shams, and dishonesty afoot, I think these shrines are what they appear to be. The purpose of religion is to relieve suffering, my prof of Buddhism emphasized repeatedly a few years ago. We lead lives of uncontrollable chaos. Religions offer frameworks for deep faith, which can bring the comforts of abiding absolutes, simplicities, and certainties. Lloyd’s particular objects of worship raise the question of legitimacy of religions. I leave that question on the table and turn to the ideas that religions inflict an unending stream of unintended consequences, and that our persistent personifications of deities may lull us into a false sense of security. What do these notions imply for Mojo?

It's a bit early in the book to sift big-picture issues like the various manifestations of faith in the characters. Perhaps later on, this worthy topic can be revisited.

Of course, if anyone has speculation to offer now, it might be fun to hear about it ;)   

EDIT: I didn't mean to shut down any conversation about it. So if y'all want to weigh in now, please feel free to do so. I will just be keeping my big mouth shut and observing from the side for a while :)  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We’re midway through Chapter 7 as I write this. Does anyone else think that Assauer seems to be getting the short end of the stick?  Maybe it’s natural for Kohl and Gordon to gang up on Assauer, with this result. On the other hand, so far at least, none of them are making out like bandits. Considering all the entertainment they’ve already provided us, they work cheap!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Well, that’s not a spoonerism, but I don’t know if there’s a name for that particular sort of auto-correct transposition!  ;-)

Sorry. That's just my severe dyslexia - didn't even see it until your comment. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, knotme said:

We’re midway through Chapter 7 as I write this. Does anyone else think that Assauer seems to be getting the short end of the stick?  Maybe it’s natural for Kohl and Gordon to gang up on Assauer, with this result. On the other hand, so far at least, none of them are making out like bandits. Considering all the entertainment they’ve already provided us, they work cheap!

i think it's easy for Kohl and Gordon to gang up on Assauer.  Though, i do have some pity for him, after all he has donated his poor ass to the cause. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i think it's easy for Kohl and Gordon to gang up on Assauer.  Though, i do have some pity for him, after all he has donated his poor ass to the cause. 

There is this dynamic with three people. I first leaned about it from a buddy who shared a dorm with with two others. He told me the usual situation is two "against" one in most decisions. Right now we've seen Kohl and Gordon have the pairs advantage, but perhaps there will come a time when one or the other may need to switch so he and Assauer have the upper hand. I guess we'll see.   

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I didn’t mean to make fun of a disability. I’m sorry. I didn’t know.

Oh, I didn't mean to say anything other than I'm sorry for missing my mistake. Plus, I wrote it using Safari, and Apple insists on replacement words of the most colorful kind :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Plus, I wrote it using Safari, and Apple insists on replacement words of the most colorful kind :) 

Those who use the more common browsers are willing to accept mediocrity! Apple’s certainly not perfect. It only seems that way in comparison to the others.  ;-)

On 2/15/2018 at 7:29 PM, knotme said:

I read this and thought..(And I am in no way comparing)  Larry, Curly and Moe. Lucy, Ethel, Ricky/Fred or Alice, Ralph and Ed.  Just a lot less slapstick. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/16/2018 at 1:24 AM, AC Benus said:

Oh, I didn't mean to say anything other than I'm sorry for missing my mistake. Plus, I wrote it using Safari, and Apple insists on replacement words of the most colorful kind :) 

i kinda figured it was autocorrect... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1