The Drop in Centre

12 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

The smoke has been bad here in TO the last few days.   i hope for no tornados for you!

I hope the fires aren't close to you guys, stay safe, I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't care about the Canadian people, your all in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️❤️

I hope they are able to put them out soon, and that all those close to the fires are safe, including all those putting out the fires.

• Love 5

Hey All

Hope  everyone is keeping safe and well.

10 days off work. So me and Mark are going to London for them. We're seeing two concerts, two theatre shows and going to the zoo whilst there.

Take care all.

• Love 3
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hey All

10 days off work. So me and Mark are going to London for them. We're seeing two concerts, two theatre shows and going to the zoo whilst there.

Take care all.

Have a great time, Chris.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hey All

Take care all.

Have a great vacation!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

I hope the fires aren't close to you guys, stay safe, I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't care about the Canadian people, your all in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️❤️

I hope they are able to put them out soon, and that all those close to the fires are safe, including all those putting out the fires.

:)  i didn't think you were blaming us. i mean so many countries are having this issue and we sort live on a round planet so stuff is bound to move around, like volcanic ash and smoke and pollution.  We are safe here it's just weird to smell wood smoke on some of the worse days.

And the trees and wildlife, well they may be in Canada but their loss affects the world, not just us. Loss of so many trees from anywhere affects us all. Each country does not have is own supply of water and air no matter what some people may think. Screwing it up, affects all life on earth.

sorry.. now off soapbox. 

i hope you are doing well too xo

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hey All

Take care all.

Sounds wonderful. Have a great time away!!

• Like 2

I find myself ruminating over the process of aging. It seems like every time I approach a milestone age some body part decides either to start breaking down or that it needs higher maintenance. At 40 I realized I my sense of smell was gradually decreasing. I swear I woke up on my 45th birthday and instantly needed cheaters to read anything. 50 made my knees my nemesis and now that 55 is a locomotive barreling down the track that I'm tied down to my hip has decided to join the assembly line of torturous body parts. 

I can only chuckle, pop some ibuprofen and make an appointment with the orthopedic doctor. Time marches on and we just have to go with the flow and be thankful for the parts that still work and don't give us problems. 

I hope everyone has a good day!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, kbois said:

I find myself ruminating over the process of aging. It seems like every time I approach a milestone age some body part decides either to start breaking down or that it needs higher maintenance. At 40 I realized I my sense of smell was gradually decreasing. I swear I woke up on my 45th birthday and instantly needed cheaters to read anything. 50 made my knees my nemesis and now that 55 is a locomotive barreling down the track that I'm tied down to my hip has decided to join the assembly line of torturous body parts. 

I can only chuckle, pop some ibuprofen and make an appointment with the orthopedic doctor. Time marches on and we just have to go with the flow and be thankful for the parts that still work and don't give us problems. 

Ageing isn't for the faint of heart. Lol

On a serious note, your knee problems could have had impacted your hips. Good on you for seeing an orthopedist. Also, it never hurts to have a good chiropractor in your arsenal as well.  You'd be surprised how much a good adjustment can help things out.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, kbois said:

Talk to the orthopedic about diclophenic sodium cream, brand name Voltaren. It is available in otc strength, and somewhat stronger by Rx and was a godsend when I tore my hamstring 4 years ago.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, spyke said:

On a serious note, your knee problems could have had impacted your hips. Good on you for seeing an orthopedist. Also, it never hurts to have a good chiropractor in your arsenal as well.  You'd be surprised how much a good adjustment can help things out.  

I second that! 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Talk to the orthopedic about diclophenic sodium cream, brand name Voltaren. It is available in otc strength, and somewhat stronger by Rx and was a godsend when I tore my hamstring 4 years ago.

I had that for my knee a few years ago and it didn't do anything. The only that seemed to really help were Hyaluronic acid injections which of course insurance doesn't cover anymore and are stupidly expensive. So hopefully a cortisone shot will do the trick. 

30 minutes ago, spyke said:

Aging just plain sucks! 

The knees have definitely affected everything else. At least that's the story I'm sticking to. Ow! My left pinky hurts! It's my knee's fault! 😆 

I've never been to a chiropractor and am honestly freaked out at the thought of someone manipulating my vertebrae. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, kbois said:

The knees have definitely affected everything else. At least that's the story I'm sticking to. Ow! My left pinky hurts! It's my knee's fault! 😆 

This is fact. Please see the below.

https://youtu.be/Ns91jtuPHZI?t=16

Chiropractors deploy various techniques depending on your situation. It's not always about "cracking" your back. Mine has even done acupuncture where he attached a tens machine to the needles. Your initial consult should include x-rays. If it doesn't, don't let them touch you. I was afraid of seeing one at first, but when you're in tremendous pain, you'll do what you have to do to get relief. It's worked for me for many years now. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, kbois said:

've never been to a chiropractor and am honestly freaked out at the thought of someone manipulating my vertebrae. 

me too.  But you made me curious so i found this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20642715/

Which belongs to your Government.  i know people swear by them but you'd never get me to one.  License to print money as far as i'm concerned, but that's my own opinion.  This about spinal manipulation not sure that include the neck thing. No thanks.

This is from that site:

Objective: The aim of this study was to summarise all cases in which chiropractic spinal manipulation was followed by death.

Design: This study is a systematic review of case reports.

Methods: Literature searches in four electronic databases with no restrictions of time or language.

Main outcome measure: Death.

Results: Twenty six fatalities were published in the medical literature and many more might have remained unpublished. The alleged pathology usually was a vascular accident involving the dissection of a vertebral artery.

Conclusion: Numerous deaths have occurred after chiropractic manipulations. The risks of this treatment by far outweigh its benefit.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, spyke said:

Mine has even done acupuncture where he attached a tens machine to the needles. Your initial consult should include x-rays. If it doesn't, don't let them touch you.

Michael had that done for His frozen shoulders. It was done by his physiotherapist here. In his case it didn't do anything. Time only helped that. But i know lots of people say acupuncture helps them. I figure it's unlikely to kill you, so i'd try that too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

wish you luck. Has anyone tried this yet?

https://tidl.com/products/sport-cryotherapy-spray

starting to see this advertised here. 

Take care of your self this weekend we are getting some relief from the heat with thunderstorms all weekend.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

Voltaren does nothing for my knee or hip pain -- but does wonders when the neuropathy in my foot starts to flare up.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

me too.  But you made me curious so i found this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20642715/

Which belongs to your Government.  i know people swear by them but you'd never get me to one.  License to print money as far as i'm concerned, but that's my own opinion.  This about spinal manipulation not sure that include the neck thing. No thanks.

This is from that site:

Objective: The aim of this study was to summarise all cases in which chiropractic spinal manipulation was followed by death.

Design: This study is a systematic review of case reports.

Methods: Literature searches in four electronic databases with no restrictions of time or language.

Main outcome measure: Death.

Results: Twenty six fatalities were published in the medical literature and many more might have remained unpublished. The alleged pathology usually was a vascular accident involving the dissection of a vertebral artery.

Conclusion: Numerous deaths have occurred after chiropractic manipulations. The risks of this treatment by far outweigh its benefit.

This is one of the reasons why I'm leery of going. The other main reason is because once you start manipulating your vertebrae, it's an ongoing thing. It always needs adjusting and the chiropractor will never turn away business. There are situations like such as slipped disc's that call for medical intervention and there are other things people can do to keep their spines in better shape. My husband has a back stretcher that helps him tremendously. (Just search Amazon for lower back stretcher... it's black and blue adjustable curved plastic). He also uses a yoga ball to stretch out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kbois said:

This is one of the reasons why I'm leery of going. The other main reason is because once you start manipulating your vertebrae, it's an ongoing thing. It always needs adjusting and the chiropractor will never turn away business. There are situations like such as slipped disc's that call for medical intervention and there are other things people can do to keep their spines in better shape. My husband has a back stretcher that helps him tremendously. (Just search Amazon for lower back stretcher... it's black and blue adjustable curved plastic). He also uses a yoga ball to stretch out. 

Had some back issues, pretty bad ones, once upon a time. I went to a back clinic here, that's all they do and it was started by a back surgeon who thought surgery should be the last option. He employed skilled and knowledgeable physiotherapists who saw you first and referred to a surgeon if deemed necessary. I wasn't referred. I did however take their "understanding your back" course. 

The surgeon who ran that said, any one who tells you they can 'manipulate' your spine is lying to you. I have held spines in my hands (he was a big guy, like me) and I'll tell you now I cannot move them any other way beyond how they are meant to.  

He went on to say that we worry about our backs because we cannot see them. He said the closest bones/joints in your body to your back are your fingers.  They only move, except for the very rare person, in one direction.

He also said most people sent for surgery, don't need it. They need to exercise and be patient. And stay away from chiropractors. 

I learned a lot and I've had no real serious back issues since then. 

Edited by MichaelS36
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, MichaelS36 said:

Carlos was a huge personality, and a caring guy. He will be missed. But tim is right. You can remember and honour him by carrying on. By helping each other and writing excellent stories. 

He and I spoke a few times over the years. He'll be missed. 

Wait wait what happened 

Edit: 

Ok sorry.  I missed a lot being out for a few weeks.  

My condolences to all Carlos' friends and fellow authors.  

Edited by Starrynight22
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Hello all.  Much has happened it seems while I was away from GA.  

I'm sorry now I didn't check in more often. 

hugs.. don't be sorry ... life goes on and sometimes we can't be here xoxoxo

• Love 5
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

Hello all.  Much has happened it seems while I was away from GA.  

I'm sorry now I didn't check in more often. 

No worries, Starry. The outside world is a busy place. 

Take care xoxo

• Love 4
12 hours ago, rickproehl said:

wish you luck. Has anyone tried this yet?

https://tidl.com/products/sport-cryotherapy-spray

starting to see this advertised here. 

Take care of your self this weekend we are getting some relief from the heat with thunderstorms all weekend.

Not heard of that as of yet.  you take care too, rick!

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..