Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

What is an ice sheet?

swiss camp in greenland

Together, the Greenland and Antarctic Ice Sheets contain more than 99 percent of the freshwater ice on Earth. Credit: NSIDC

An ice sheet is a mass of glacial land ice extending more than 50,000 square kilometers (20,000 square miles). The two ice sheets on Earth today cover most of Greenland and Antarctica. During the last ice age, ice sheets also covered much of North America and Scandinavia.

Together, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets contain more than 99 percent of the freshwater ice on Earth. The Antarctic Ice Sheet extends almost 14 million square kilometers (5.4 million square miles), roughly the area of the contiguous United States and Mexico combined. The Antarctic Ice Sheet contains 30 million cubic kilometers (7.2 million cubic miles) of ice. The Greenland Ice Sheet extends about 1.7 million square kilometers (656,000 square miles), covering most of the island of Greenland, three times the size of Texas.

----

Why are ice sheets important?

Ice sheets contain enormous quantities of frozen water. If the Greenland Ice Sheet melted, scientists estimate that sea level would rise about 6 meters (20 feet). If the Antarctic Ice Sheet melted, sea level would rise by about 60 meters (200 feet).

Source: https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/icesheets.html

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Marty said:

And look at the record high temperatures in the Arctic and parts of Siberia. Current indications are that the melting of the ice sheet on Greenland is increasing quite dramatically, and predictions are that if it all melted it would raise the sea level by around 6 metres (20 feet)... :/ 

Hey, Gary! :hug:

If Greenland ice melts😲

If that happens you can say goodbye to the Gulf stream and Ireland and England are going to get a lot colder:blink::blink:

Edited by Albert1434
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 2
21 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

If Greenland ice melts😲

If that happens you can say goodbye to the Gulf stream and Ireland and England are going to get a lot colder:blink::blink:

Hmmm...

I'm not sure about the effect it would have on the Gulf Stream... :unsure2:

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

Hmmm...

I'm not sure about the effect it would have on the Gulf Stream... :unsure2:

This paper talks about changes to the Gulf Stream due to global warming...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210225113357.htm

Date: February 25, 2021

Source: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)

Summary:
Never before in over 1000 years the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), also known as Gulf Stream System, has been as weak as in the last decades. Researchers compiled proxy data, reaching back hundreds of years to reconstruct the AMOC flow history. They found consistent evidence that its slowdown in the 20th century is unprecedented in the past millennium.

I don't fully understand it all, but it certainly does seem as though it (the Gulf Stream may be greatly weakened (and may be weakening already)

• Sad 4
2 minutes ago, Marty said:

This paper talks about changes to the Gulf Stream due to global warming...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210225113357.htm

Date: February 25, 2021

Source: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)

Summary:
Never before in over 1000 years the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), also known as Gulf Stream System, has been as weak as in the last decades. Researchers compiled proxy data, reaching back hundreds of years to reconstruct the AMOC flow history. They found consistent evidence that its slowdown in the 20th century is unprecedented in the past millennium.

I don't fully understand it all, but it certainly does seem as though it (the Gulf Stream may be greatly weakened (and may be weakening already)

And yes Marty this could be very bad sorry to say

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

We could have done something and we did nothing I am very sorry to say. Money meant more then having a palace to live and there saying things are happening fast then was first thought. They thought they would have till 2025 but sadly that may not be true:yes:😱🥶

Edited by Albert1434
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, Albert1434 said:

We could have done something and we did nothing I am very sorry to say. Money meant more then have a palace to live and there saying things are happening fast then was first thought. They thought they would have till 2025 but sadly that may not be true:yes:😱🥶

And I can remember the effect of rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (mainly due to the burning of fossil fuels) and the fact that it acts as a "greenhouse gas" (by preventing heat reaching the earth from the sun being radiated back into space) being part of the A Level Biology syllabus that I was studying at grammar school between 1964 and 1966. So it's not as though it's something we have only recently become aware of. :/

• Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is now reaching levels 50% higher than before the industrial revolution.
  • Research shows that for several days in February and March 2021, atmospheric CO2 levels exceeded 417 parts per million (ppm).
  • Pre-industrial levels were about 278ppm.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/03/met-office-atmospheric-co2-industrial-levels-environment-climate-change

• Sad 4
2 minutes ago, Marty said:

And I can remember the effect of rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (mainly due to the burning of fossil fuels) and the fact that it acts as a "greenhouse gas" (by preventing heat reaching the earth from the sun being radiated back into space) being part of the A Level Biology syllabus that I was studying at grammar school between 1964 and 1966. So it's not as though it's something we have only recently become aware of. :/

• Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is now reaching levels 50% higher than before the industrial revolution.
  • Research shows that for several days in February and March 2021, atmospheric CO2 levels exceeded 417 parts per million (ppm).
  • Pre-industrial levels were about 278ppm.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/03/met-office-atmospheric-co2-industrial-levels-environment-climate-change

And still Money is King and trumps all things and for the most part still does!

Edited by Albert1434
  • Sad 4
15 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Mickey shared this story with me. He knows young Mr. Godmer by reputation at school, but they're in different grades.  :)

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/traverse-city-teenager-to-compete-in-chicago-mac-race/article_7e3ff72a-da8f-11eb-a128-9faa8b8d134f.html

Unfortunately the website you link to has decided it doesn't like the EU data protection regulations, so is refusing to allow me to read the article...

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
2 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Wow that you just posted marty Unavailable due to legal reasons?

That's the message that I get when I attempt to go to the page. :huh:

I have heard it said many times that the EU has tighter laws on Data Protection than the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2020/07/29/the-privacy-mindset-of-the-eu-vs-the-us/?sh=727bb9a77d01

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..