Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

17 hours ago, clochette said:

Still in the low 20°C during the day and the temps aren't going under 12 at night. My heating bill is glad the nice weather is staying a bit longer :lol: hoping I can keep the heaters off up to the end of October 

We are having the same weather :2thumbs:

• Love 5

12 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

And a bit of a weird question from me…

Does peanut paste/butter go off? I just finished a jar and noticed that the best before date was early 2022. It tasted ok…

When checking the dates on food the following is the recommended way to interpret them.

A use-by date should be adhered to as the food is likely to be unfit for consumption after that date.

A sell-by date is one that may be able to be eaten after the date, some foods will only be safe to eat for a short time after the date while others may still be safe to eat months after the displayed date.

A best-before date is an indication that the food is best consumed before the displayed date to enjoy it at its best, after that, the quality may deteriorate but it should still be safe to eat, in some cases even years after the date.

All food should be stored correctly as per the producer's recommendations, usually printed on the packaging, as the conditions of storage can affect its quality and could shorten its shelf-life if stored incorrectly.

It is wise to use your senses as the best guide the same as they used to before we started to apply dates to food;

Sight - does it look as it should? If it does then it may be safe to eat.

Smell - does it smell as it should? If it does then it may be safe to eat.

Taste - does it taste as it should? [it is recommended to taste a small sample] If it does and it satisfies the first two questions then it is safe to eat.

Remember our ancestors used their senses as their only guide to decide if food was safe to eat and it served them well for generations.

I hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..