Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

3 hours ago, bignick said:

Good morning, Parker! :hug:  Good morning, Dugh, Mum and Thistle! :hug: Good morning everyone! :)

It feels like 38°C, but that's maybe my fever. I believe I'm coming down with something. Don't worry. I'll put up a good fight. 💪

Wish I could nurse you back to health, froggie. :hug: 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Gary, is this a good place to chat about the question I have about upwind versus downwind or should I PM you?  ~ Ms. V

Edited by Y0rite
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Hey, bro! It's an awesome sunny day here. :D   Hope you and Mum are doing well. :hug: 

Hey, Gary.   :hug:  :kiss:

13 minutes ago, SteveTrevor said:

Afternoon all :D

Hello there!  :)

19 minutes ago, Y0rite said:

Gary, is this a good place to chat about the question I have about upwind versus downwind or should I PM you?  ~ Ms. V

Welcome.  :)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Y0rite said:

Hey, Ms. V!  Here is fine. So what did you think about the section I posted. Was my interpretation correct?

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Lugh said:

what's up? anyone? anything?

Well, I feel pretty crappy with a head cold and sore throat. I just got back from walking my puppy, and my ass is dragging. :)  How are you?

• Wow 1
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hey, bro! It's an awesome sunny day here. :D   Hope you and Mum are doing well. :hug: 

It has warmed up to about 51/10° and still overcast, at least the drizzle/mist has stopped.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, dughlas said:

It has warmed up to about 51/10° and still overcast, at least the drizzle/mist has stopped.

It's the same temperature here. :)  No drizzle, but the sun is starting to weaken.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Well, I feel pretty crappy with a head cold and sore throat. I just got back from walking my puppy, and my ass is dragging. :)  How are you?

icks I was like that two weeks ago.. the cough has finally stopped mostly...

I've been spending the day with the grandkids... yeah that's scary... they are home with daddy now.  

49 minutes ago, SteveTrevor said:

I just posted the first chapter of a story :o

first story or a new story or what?  details!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Ms. V!  Here is fine. So what did you think about the section I posted. Was my interpretation correct?

So, here's my geek perspective: I think the trouble comes in the terms used in the explanation that you found at BackCountryPlanet, versus the explanation I used from a weather site with it's dorky little graphic.  Upstream & upwind versus downstream & downwind, I've even heard some hunters get this wrong, and others tease those that do, regularly with it.

It is true that when you are walking into the wind, you are heading upstream.  Now, in walking/standing into the wind from the East to the West, everything in front of you is upwind, and everything behind you is downwind.  If you turn around and head or stand facing West to East, you are walking/standing looking downstream with the wind at your back.  Everything behind you is upwind, and everything in front of you is downwind.  So, if you are heading or looking downstream at your target, your scent is going downwind to them.

So in the basic graphic on the weather site, Keller would be the stick in the middle.  If he was looking into the wind at Tobyn, your perspective is right.  If he was looking from upwind at Tobyn standing downwind than his scent would be heading right at Tobyn.  This is where my assumption might have steered me wrong: I was thinking wind flowing downhill with Keller looking down at Tobyn which makes Keller's back to the wind. (I will gladly concede if I'm in error. :))  

Here is another hunting example from one of my favorite bowhunting sites that talks about the special skill you have to use when hunting upwind when your target approaches from downwind.

So, is this a better explanation of why my geeky engineering brain hit a speed bump in chapter 5 of Morningstar?

Thanks for your patience with me on this Gary.  :hug:  ~ Ms. V

Edited by Y0rite
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Y0rite said:

So, here's my geek perspective: I think the trouble comes in the terms used in the explanation that you found at BackCountryPlanet, versus the explanation I used from a weather site with it's dorky little graphic.  Upstream & upwind versus downstream & downwind, I've even heard some hunters get this wrong, and others tease those that do, regularly with it.

It is true that when you are walking into the wind, you are heading upstream.  Now, in walking/standing into the wind from the East to the West, everything in front of you is upwind, and everything behind you is downwind.  If you turn around and head or stand facing West to East, you are walking/standing looking downstream with the wind at your back.  Everything behind you is upwind, and everything in front of you is downwind.  So, if you are heading or looking downstream at your target, your scent is going downwind to them.

So in the basic graphic on the weather site, Keller would be the stick in the middle.  If he was looking into the wind at Tobyn, your perspective is right.  If he was looking from upwind at Tobyn standing downwind than his scent would be heading right at Tobyn.  This is where my assumption might have steered me wrong: I was thinking wind flowing downhill with Keller looking down at Tobyn which makes Keller's back to the wind. (I will gladly concede if I'm in error. :))  

Here is another hunting example from one of my favorite bowhunting sites that talks about the special skill you have to use when hunting upwind when your target approaches from downwind.

So, is this a better explanation of why my geeky engineering brain hit a speed bump in chapter 5 of Morningstar?

Thanks for your patience with me on this Gary.  :hug:  ~ Ms. V

Hey, Ms. V. I went through all your links... thank you... and I think I understood them all. It's a matter of saying it the right way, I guess. In my mind, Kellar kept the wind at his face as he watched Tobyn... in other words, any animal behind Kellar would be able to scent him, because he would be downwind of them, but any in front of him couldn't, because they would be downwind of him??? So I'm thinking the right way to say it is that Kellar was upwind of Tobyn. Is that right? I think that's what you are saying here, that you agree, but I am easily confused. :P  Anyway, this is good mental work for me. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..