Blog Feature Opportunities - #2

Since it looks like my previous topics got archived, here's the new topic with information on various blog opportunities.

Q&A Feature:

I hope to include our community more in future blog posts. With that in mind here are some questions (this post will be updated with each new round):

Authors:

Round 1: Have you experienced writer's block? If so, what helped you get past it?

Round 2: Do you use an outline? Why or why not?

Round 3: What was the hardest story for you to write? Why?

Round 4: Do you base characters off of real life people? Are they completely fictional? Or some of both? And how does it affect your writing of said characters?

Round 5: What first got you into writing? What was your first story about?

Poets:

Round 2: What do you find is the most difficult part about writing poetry?

Round 3: What inspires you to write poetry?

Round 4: Many know of the poetry teachings of @AC Benus, what is your favorite type of poem to write from those teaching?

Round 5: Has your idea of what poetry is changed since you began writing poems?

Readers:

Round 1: When reading, what is one thing that will make you stop reading a story?

Round 2: What is your favorite trope? What draws you to it?

Round 3: What is your favorite genre? What is your least favorite? Why are they your favorite and least favorite?

Round 4: What is the main thing that entices you to read a story?

Round 5: When reading online, do you wait to read a story until it's finished? Or do you read in progress stories as well? Why?

Editors:

Round 1: What would be your number one tip that authors should do BEFORE sending their story to their editor?

Round 2: What is your biggest pet peeve when editing? And why does it bug you so much?

Round 3: What is the most common error you see? How can authors avoid it?

Round 4: How hard do you find it to edit a story that you can't get into? Have you ever had to refuse to continue on with a story? If so, why?

Round 5: Sometimes editors and authors clash over aspects of writing. One such thing is independent body movements. What is your stance on independent body movements?

Round 1: PM me your answers. In the subject line, please use: writer's block answer, stop reading answer, or tip from editor.

Round 2: PM me your answers. In the subject line, please use: Outline answer, Favorite Trope answer, Poetry Difficulty, or Pet Peeve answer. Deadline: December 5, 2018

Round 3: PM me your answers. In the subject line, please use: Round 3 Author, Round 3 Editor, Round 3 Poet, or Round 3 Reader. Deadline: January 6, 2019

Round 4: PM me your answers. In the subject line, please use: Round 4 Author, Round 4 Editor, Round 4 Poet, or Round 4 Reader. If you are answering more than one questions you can simply do Round 4: (followed by whatever groups you are answering). Deadline: February 6, 2019

Round 5: PM me your answers. In the subject line, please use: Round 5 Author, Round 5 Editor, Round 5 Poet, or Round 5 Reader. If you are answering more than one questions you can simply do Round 4: (followed by whatever groups you are answering). Deadline: March 6, 2019

BONUS QUESTION (all groups):

Round 4: Do you have a favorite Valentine's memory that you'd be willing to share with us?

Round 5: What is your all time favorite quote?

Guess the Author Feature

For kind of a fun blog feature, plus another chance for authors to get themselves out there.... I'll be doing a "Guess Who" blog feature. Authors will answer a few interview questions, and the community will try to guess who it is... Then in the weekly wrap up, we'll reveal the author, along with a link to up to two stories on GA that the author would like to promote.  PM me if interested and I'll send you the list of questions.

A sample question might be:

What prompted you to write your first story? (With this question, you wouldn't be able to give the story name)

• Like 5

The most frequent errors I see are two-fold. First on the list is homophones, that is two words in English that sound alike when they are spoken, for example, 'there' and 'their' or 'boy' and 'buoy'. Grammarly, while it is an excellent program in detecting spelling errors, will not question homophones as the word used, while it is the wrong meaning, is a good English word.

The other class of frequent error in English is using the wrong case of a pronoun -- substituting the objective case for the nominative case when the verb does not take an object. As an example: 'It was John and me who were knocking at the door." This is not so severe a fault in writing as a homophone might be as people, especially young people make that error frequently in conversation -- to the point that it becomes usual and is acceptable for an author to use when he is quoting a young person's speech patterns.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Renee Stevens said:

Only a few more days until the deadline for the current round! 

Thanks for the reminder :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

What are 'independent body movements' ? :huh:

Actions involving body parts not attributed to a character.  "Hands roamed up my back, tickling me as they moved upward."   vs "He moved his hands up my back, tickling me as his fingers danced along my spine."

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Actions involving body parts not attributed to a character.  "Hands roamed up my back, tickling me as they moved upward."   vs "He moved his hands up my back, tickling me as his fingers danced along my spine."

:thankyou:  for the explanation

( :facepalm: damn, now I have to go through all my stories looking for that)

• Haha 2
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I don't think it would have been a question if it were universally recognised as always A Bad Thing™.

I'll be quite interested to read the responses to this one.  I have a pretty strong opinion on the subject, but I'll wait until the blog's posted to express it ;) 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I don't think it would have been a question if it were universally recognised as always A Bad Thing™.

It's mostly that I don't know if I do it or not, rather than feeling the need to change it. I've never thought about it in relation to stories I've edited, so I can't answer the question. I look forward to hearing the replies.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

It's mostly that I don't know if I do it or not, rather than feeling the need to change it. I've never thought about it in relation to stories I've edited, so I can't answer the question. I look forward to hearing the replies.

Me too. :) 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I'll be quite interested to read the responses to this one.  I have a pretty strong opinion on the subject, but I'll wait until the blog's posted to express it ;) 

I have opinions on this one as well... :) 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...