Halloween Short Story Theme - Your Choice or Your Downfall?!!   

29 members have voted

1. 1. The author's (your) fictional villain comes to life to take their revenge. They find you and.... The question: What kind of villain would be the most Halloween-centric or scary to you as the author?

• A vampire
    • A shady shifter
    • A muderous magician
    • A psychopath
    • A vengeful spirit (did you kill them off? *gasps*)
    • An egomaniacal mob boss obssessed with you
    • A criminal cyborg
    • A monster unlike anything anyone's ever seen...
    • A diabolical devil
    • A clown (no more needs to be said *shudders*)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Site Administrator

Oh, it's going ahead. :) We'll be doing an author email call for this, featuring the stories for readers in a reader email, etc... still, even if we're not doing the off-site newsletter, so we're hoping to get authors who play even MORE exposure. If I have a lot of authors participating and stories that come in early, we may space out the release to avoid overwhelming readers, or if more people want more time or we don't have many takers on the game, authors will get a lot of time to get closer to Halloween and we'll condense it. I want it to be flexible so lots of people can enjoy the game, both authors and readers! 

Halloween is just too much fun NOT to write something for it! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, Cia said:

Halloween is just too much fun NOT to write something for it! 

:yes::D  I'm looking forward to this :D  And the twist... :devil:  Maybe... :unsure:   :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Okay, my hapless victims… Especially @northie @Valkyrie @Thorn Wilde @S.L. Lewis since you spoke up and put targets on your backs... LOL  Are you ready to scramble for safety that you know shall never be truly be safe around one of my games? *evil grin* Or maybe you’ll fly away, or swim, or invent an amazing…? You decide, because the setting, time period, characters (other than the villain) are all up to you! Complete creative freedom. Give us a slice of life—that scream and jolt when you almost get grabbed. Or you might share a tale of author woe—a story unsold but not untold, and a villain who leaps off the page with only one thing on their mind… a death worthy of the pages for the luckless man/woman who dreamed them up and cursed them into being.

There are a FEW rules:

1.       Anything under 1k must be posted as part of a flash collection, even as part of a challenge

2.       Deadline: Tentatively Oct. 9th-13th. I’d love to space out the stories if we get a ton or they’ll be released right around Halloween week!

3.       Editing: Yes, please. I will help a little if I see something authors need to fix, but c’mon, we’re on a writing website with tons of tips, tools, and other authors/readers. Most of us have some help cleaning things up and you guys do a pretty great job for the most part. Keep it up this time too!

4.       How to: Simple as can be, finish your story, post it as a flash chapter or a new story (unpublished!!) and send me a PM with the title and a link. First come, first served up to readers if we space it out. If you need a little more time or have questions, my PM box is always open.

That’s it, that’s all, you’re ready to run! Or run for your liiiiiiiife!

But wait, you say, who or what are you running from? No, it’s not the monster you picked as the scariest. I want you to go look at your profile, RIGHT NOW. Take a peek at the total comments you have and the veeeeery last digit. What’s that number? If it’s a 0, you get #10, 1 you get #1, 5 you get #5… you catch the twist? How has your comment habit left you in the lurch? Which monster will it be?

Well I’m not going to tell you all that yet! You have to write a  post below with your offical decision to say yes play my game, 😈 tell us your number, and wait until Wednesday! Is your breath coming a little faster, your heart pounding a little harder, you’re not sure, should you do it, still not sure, what will your villain hunter BE????

You’ll have to play to find out. Do you dare?

• Haha 2

I'm going to attempt this.

Depending on which comment count we're using:
By Content Count in the black bar: 7 as of right now. A Criminal Cyborg.
By Comments on Stories: 9 as of right now. A Diabolic Devil.

I love both.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
14 hours ago, Brayon said:

I'm going to attempt this.

Depending on which comment count we're using:
By Content Count in the black bar: 7 as of right now. A Criminal Cyborg.
By Comments on Stories: 9 as of right now. A Diabolic Devil.

I love both.

Comment count, but remember, there's a twist on the list! That's why I asked members to vote. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator

Muahahahahahaha! Wednesday came... and the spirit has spoken! The scariest villain of all was the vengeful spirt. So, based on the votes/dates of votes we have the following list:

1. A vengeful spirit
  2. A psychopath
  3. A clown
  4. An egomaniacal mob boss who’s obsessed with you
  5. A monster unlike anything anyone’s ever seen before
  6. A diabolical devil
  7. A shady shifter
  8. A murderous magician
  9. A criminal cyborg
  10. A vampire

But... wait! Members picked a vengeful spirit as the scariest villain of all, and we know they love to mess with things in the physical world... so guess what happened to the villains numbered 2-10???

1. A vengeful spirit
  2. A shady shifter
  3. A diabolical devil
  4. A murderous magician
  5. An egomaniacal mob boss who’s obsessed with you
  6. A vampire
  7. A monster unlike anything anyone’s ever seen before
  8. A criminal cyborg
  9. A psychopath
  10. A clown

Just when you thought you knew what was after you... a new monster has you in their sights! This second list is YOUR list, and whatever the last number is on your comments is the villain you write is after you (remember, 0 = 10)! *Feel free to chat in this topic, share some tidbits, invite other authors!! Just don't share your whole story with anyone but your beta/editing/proofing team until I make it live (you will post it unpublished/undated). Deadline: October 9-13th

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, aditus said:

Okay, I'm writing something autobiographic....

I had no idea I was friends with a psychopath. :unsure:  Nice wolfie... good wolfie... have a veggie burger, wolfie.... *backs away slowly*  

• Haha 5

Ooo... A Murderous Magician, eh? I hope I can pull this off!

Also, question... if I write the first one but have an idea for a different monster as well, could I write both?

Edited by Cynus
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...