Story Prompt Tool and other random generation tools?

• Site Administrator

I have been pondering creating a tool for the site that generates random story prompts or world building tools that can be filtered to genre/sub-genre.

I think I have thought of a way to make it pretty robust too and not a great deal of work from the programming side of things. (populating it with material would be some work, but could certainly be crowdsourced with members)

Example a simple prompt can be: A (descriptive adjective) (Character) (desires) (a thing) but (conflict)

A shady biker wants the hot young otter but he is already involved with someone else.

So, if we were prompting for Science Fiction "Starship Captain" would be an option in characters... but would not show up if you were prompting for Fantasy.  likewise for conflicts, "But they have an approaching orc horde" would not be a conflict for a modern romance.

The way I'm thinking of setting this up, we could create a variety of prompt styles, including single prompts, such as Male Names.

Would anyone find value in such a set of tools?

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I believe I would. More specific prompts, especially, sounds interesting. They could be great for new writers as well as ones who need a boost from a slump. It's often the start that gets a story rolling. :) As well, I am always researching names and their meaning. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

While I enjoy a good prompt, not every one speaks to me. For instance, the latest anthology Anniversary I couldn't do anything with worthy of GA

I can bang out something half-assed, but I'll never want to.

This sounds like fun, but even when we post prompts, I can't always come up with something for every one.

It's best to pick one that sparks a good idea, than try to force it.

good-idea-fairy.jpg

You never know when this jack hole is going to show up.

Confidentially speaking, not all his ideas are that great.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
On 9/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, JamesSavik said:

While I enjoy a good prompt, not every one speaks to me. For instance, the latest anthology Anniversary I couldn't do anything with worthy of GA

This sounds like fun, but even when we post prompts, I can't always come up with something for every one.

It's best to pick one that sparks a good idea, than try to force it.

It would be just another tool, like any other.  And you'll be able to hit the refresh button to see if something does fit your writing mood.

The way I'm planning the software, you'll be able to do simple suggestions through more complex ones.  Like random name generator to a structured plot to underlying theme.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I know this is from a few months back, but since software isn't typically a weekend project I'm gambling you might still be interested in replies.

I love prompts. Some are dead on arrival. Some generate a response that I'll decide to keep poking until it does something or not. And some are like magic and a character and words start forming faster than I can type. That blast of energy, or touch by a muse, or crack in a mental wall, the simple irrepressible force to write something--that's just everything and wonderful set on fire. And then, once awakened, you can carry around that ember and let it light other projects or stories. But eventually, that ember dies (for me anyway). So a new prompt is the tinder and spark to let me build some new embers....

The more prompts the better for me. I love your idea. If it generates enough support that you decide to move forward (or maybe you are already), I'd be happy to be a "tester" if you ever want some. 

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, PBax said:

I know this is from a few months back, but since software isn't typically a weekend project I'm gambling you might still be interested in replies.

I love prompts. Some are dead on arrival. Some generate a response that I'll decide to keep poking until it does something or not. And some are like magic and a character and words start forming faster than I can type. That blast of energy, or touch by a muse, or crack in a mental wall, the simple irrepressible force to write something--that's just everything and wonderful set on fire. And then, once awakened, you can carry around that ember and let it light other projects or stories. But eventually, that ember dies (for me anyway). So a new prompt is the tinder and spark to let me build some new embers....

The more prompts the better for me. I love your idea. If it generates enough support that you decide to move forward (or maybe you are already), I'd be happy to be a "tester" if you ever want some. 

We'll be moving forward when our programmer's time is available for the project.

• Like 5