Number of Anthology Themes for 2023

How many themes per anthology?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Choose how many themes you would like to see per anthology.

• One
    • Two
    • One main theme with additional potluck themes
    • Two main themes with additional potluck themes

39 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I think one theme is the best way to go. Part of the attraction in reading the last anthology entries was how authors interpreted the theme in so many different ways, that gave a great variety in stories and genres which I found really enjoyable.

If we're going to pick characters for the anthologies I think the name Dave is too common, we could choose the characters location though, maybe we should include a Mancunian in each one, lol. (only joking guys) 🤣🤣🤣

I'd go for a location as the theme. Manchester could work. ;)

• Like 5

There are a lot of good points that have been voiced on this topic, humour has also been included in many. Let's take note of the serious posts, they have good points, and enjoy the humour in the others, it's good to laugh.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Sounds juicy...

*blows whistle* "Dave is BACK in play!"

I would have to become one of the stereotypical women who stay up all night watching True Crime reruns. Don't put that kind of evil in the world by choosing Dave as a theme. 

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Krista said:

I would have to become one of the stereotypical women who stay up all night watching True Crime reruns. Don't put that kind of evil in the world by choosing Dave as a theme. 

Aaaaand...Dave is out. 

• Haha 5
  • Site Administrator

It has been interesting reading all the different opinions and suggestions, including the jokes ;), that are being made. I would really encourage that anyone that has an opinion to share it to get a general feeling of the group.

As being around in the heyday as @Aditus mentioned, I agree that it was the commitment of a lot of promoted as well as a lot of non promoted authors all coming together to make a successful anthology. Be it single themed and the interpretations on that theme or having the potluck option being presented too.

Myr can correct me if I'm wrong in my history, but sometimes we can learn from what we have tried in the past to different results from those trials. 

I believe when I joined and for several years, the choice of the theme was made by staff. Then it evolved to a small group of 'Hosted Authors', now Signature and Classic in modern terms. Slowly there was some grumblings and such that not enough authors were being given a chance to choose the theme so everyone was not invested in writing since they had no say in the selections. Also if you weren't part of the group then you felt you were not being given enough input on the decision.

Then, we went to a voting suggestion on themes. I believe the original was for all authors to have input on the decision making. This was enlisting multiple entries of any kind to be put forward. Then, those authors would go through several rounds of voting to come up with one theme.

With this in place, a suggestion came up that maybe the readers should have a say as well. Based on the idea that if the theme didn't appeal to readers, then there would be no audience. So we took the same idea but with all of members of the site to come up with ideas. This made for a really large list and rounds and rounds of votes to get to a theme. 

Believe it or not, it then became a dual edged sword where Authors didn't want to be narrowed into what the whole site wanted. This may have turned out to be a case in trying to please everyone, it alienated more and more people. Then the readers, if they didn't get themes that didn't interest them, they would be less motivated to read.

I think the decisions for the past few years was to have one or two main themes and a potluck of other themes to give more choice. I guess in theory this should have worked, but it did not. Entries continued to go down each anthology.

Next was to scale down from up to 6 anthologies to 3 to 2, and then this year 1.

The great thing about this years was it was a celebration of any theme you wanted with tying in what we were celebrating this year, an anniversary which tied in well with GA's 20th anniversary. 

From my POV, it is a tricky line to pick a theme that gives everyone latitude to choose how they want to interpret it and to have some restrictions as was suggested, to make it the challenge of an anthology. I would even suggest to make it an event to be looked forward to all on the site

At this point, I am not in a steadfast position to suggest any option. Trust me, I do have one :P, Just I'm very receptive to change my POV as if we don't encourage some new thoughts or even revised old thoughts, we might be missing out on continuing on the great momentum that Valkyrie and Myr got going for the recent one. Especially with the hard work of every one of you :worship: 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

If it comes close or a bit indecisive, we can try next year having one Anthology with 1 Main Theme + Potluck, for the Spring or Fall. Then one Main theme for the other with no potluck. Then evaluate the experiences going into the year after. The shelf life for both might be easier to determine after people have participated in them. The Anniversary anthology is a bit of an oddity, because there was a special underlying incentive to participate since it was GA's 20th. So, this one specifically, may not be the best example in looking towards the future without that added incentive. 

I personally liked not knowing what the themes were until they were announced. No short list, no voting prior, no being involved in the subcommittee that discussed themes, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1