Red, White, and Royal Blue -Amazon Prime Movie

On 8/5/2023 at 8:53 PM, Myr said:

It's made the leap from book to movie.

Myr not sure if you meant you read the book but I'm wondering, and maybe someone else can advise. I noticed the Prince name is Henry, and there seems to be a lot of tie ins with, or rather subtext to the actual British royals.   aka Prince Harry actual birth name is Henry.  Another example is that this fictional character is fourth in line to becoming King, which was also once upon a time accurate in real live before Prince Andrew's children. 

I'm just wondering if this a clear reference or if they just used the name for an easy reference point. 

Thanks in advance,

• Like 4

I've watched the movie. I'm not gonna share any spoilers, but I'm gonna say spoilers at this point need to be heeded for all posts going forward.  NOW THAT THE MOVIE IS OUT.

Frist, I went into this movie with reservations.  It clearly has potential but also seems to be going in with several classic tropes.  Add in the concern of how real they can make this without insulting everyone in the prosses. I believe, someone can correct me on this. that the President of the US is based on Hillary, where the Prince is loosely based on Prince Harry. This makes me think the book was written pre 2016 elections where everyone was certain she would win over who we got. 

Classic Tropes: Going into this I was really hoping they would avoid the classic trope with high profile people. Of course I also thought going into it, that it's gonna be hard to avoid it. What I was really hoping is something unique and that they don't make it the main focus on the story progression.  I was hoping for something different or at least down played so I could enjoy a reasonable fresh take on it. 

The Story: Knowing we have entered an era where most stories of the LGBT (I suck I cannot remember the order of the extra letters, Heck I've started saying "the everything but S community"), I wasn't worried of the story ending with the most classic trope, but also, it sat in the back of my mind.  What liked of the story was honest attempts, and I call them attempts because we don't know how well they will make their mark with enlightening struggles.   Examples of what I mean, but not necessarily are in the movie would be like being treated for being of a different race, or being a fish out of water.  I do feel they tried and for the most part it works. In short I feel the this runs better than Love Victor and that might be because they are focused on the mature angel rather than the ageist teen year plot. The down side is that this story does seem to be a US story focus, meaning I felt very disconnected from the UK side of things. I think that's more due to the author and the production team likely being of a US based.  

Acting: I think the acting is on point and is believable.  I'm glad they didn't cast A star actors for the main roles.  In fact the only A star actor is Uma, which I would have been ok had they casted someone else.  I don't care one way or the other for the accent. It's funny though that hers in more on point while the son and husband aren't. I feel like their needed to be a better understand as to way or better yet, I need to not overthink it.   Regardless, the cast I don't have any complaints, it was believable and the emotions were on point as required. 

The ending: It is what it needed to be.  Was I happy with it.  Yes and no, but for different reasons.  I won't share either view point because it's hard to with out spoiling the story and this isn't what I this post is meant to be.  What I will say is it's worth viewing.  Is it a realistic ending?  debatable, but it's unlikely to make you want to hate your life any more/less than you did if you hadn't watched it. 

Favourite Scene: There's a moment where the camera is underwater.  It my Favourite because I grew up with a pool and I suddenly felt so there.  It reminded me of the times when I would put my head underwater to quit the world's noise to escape reality.  I remember once someone thought I was trying to drown myself because I wouldn't come up for a breath of air.  I miss those times and yet know every time I get a chance to take a bath in a soaker tub I'll still hold my head under water.  I guess this should be a note for anyone who's trying to woo me, give me chances to lose myself under water.   Also, I really got sideline of the film and ended up talking more personal due to thinking of just a moment in the movie.  But that's the point of films.  Finding connections. 

Final Thoughts:   Go watch it.  If you can make anyone watch it.  Hopefully it will make people be less stupid and judgmental.   One thing is clear, regardless how fair we've progressed in this world, we still have a way to go.  Remember it starts with us.   Now, if you haven't seen it yet stop reading any further and go see it now.  Then come back and add your thoughts.  

Until next time...

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 8/6/2023 at 12:25 AM, Krista said:

I am of the minority that DNF'd this book, apparently. I just couldn't get into the characters halfway through. If it builds to something worthwhile, let me know and I'll give it another shot. I usually like to read books before I watch films, just so I can be tortured by the fact that the film adaptation isn't all that good.

It’s was also a NDF for me. I couldn’t get into it. Still plan on watching the movie though. I will DNF a book because I sometimes refuse to wasted 3 days worth of free time whereas a movie is 90 minutes.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Krista said:

Overall I liked the film. Not all that deep or groundbreaking.

This is my assessment as well.
I thought the safe sex conversation was well done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 8/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Daddydavek said:

I got started on it and got as far as the oval office scene with the aid hitting the president's mostly clueless son with a pillow and I decided to go to bed and shut it off.

I was like that with Bros, I got about thirty minutes in, and couldn't go a minute longer. I actually think the larger media/film production companies have lost their way. You look around and people are starved for genuinely original films. The best film I've watched this year was on Netflix, and that was Otto with Tom Hanks. It was adorable and tragic, but I wouldn't call it organically original either.

Action films are either sequels to whatever super hero depicted or remakes of decades old films, or whatever number the Fast and the Furious is on now, I stopped watching after the first film. Comedies have gone completely juvenile and completely formulaic from one film to the next. The actors change, that's it. Romantic comedies are the worst offenders and that is across all genres. Dramas for me anyway, have been the genre that's been a bit better at depicting a wider range of topics and themes, but still. Horror, I don't watch horror, so I couldn't tell you.

The two most original and wide-audience films in the last two years... was based on Mario and Barbie, that should tell you the state of the film industry. And Television is no better... the U.S either copies from European shows, example: Ghosts. Or has long-winded.. and mind you, long beaten to death shows like Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, etc... and then countless spin-offs from hit shows that lose their luster one or two seasons after the first when the new wears off... it is honestly awful. I do not watch television at all, I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Paramount... etc.. all them.. lol.. and I'm paying for those with the television turned off.. and never logging in to watch on my other devices, so much so.. that I cannot remember the passwords and I have to reset them every time. 

It may just be me... but... when I am starved for something, I do write more... so. 

The show I'm most looking forward to is on Amazon Prime, and that's Prisma's second season. I tend to seek out foreign films and television more and more, because they feel genuinely more organic and unique... subtitles do give me a headache after awhile though. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Krista said:

I was like that with Bros, I got about thirty minutes in, and couldn't go a minute longer. I actually think the larger media/film production companies have lost their way. You look around and people are starved for genuinely original films. The best film I've watched this year was on Netflix, and that was Otto with Tom Hanks. It was adorable and tragic, but I wouldn't call it organically original either.

Action films are either sequels to whatever super hero depicted or remakes of decades old films, or whatever number the Fast and the Furious is on now, I stopped watching after the first film. Comedies have gone completely juvenile and completely formulaic from one film to the next. The actors change, that's it. Romantic comedies are the worst offenders and that is across all genres. Dramas for me anyway, have been the genre that's been a bit better at depicting a wider range of topics and themes, but still. Horror, I don't watch horror, so I couldn't tell you.

The two most original and wide-audience films in the last two years... was based on Mario and Barbie, that should tell you the state of the film industry. And Television is no better... the U.S either copies from European shows, example: Ghosts. Or has long-winded.. and mind you, long beaten to death shows like Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, etc... and then countless spin-offs from hit shows that lose their luster one or two seasons after the first when the new wears off... it is honestly awful. I do not watch television at all, I have Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Paramount... etc.. all them.. lol.. and I'm paying for those with the television turned off.. and never logging in to watch on my other devices, so much so.. that I cannot remember the passwords and I have to reset them every time. 

It may just be me... but... when I am starved for something, I do write more... so. 

The show I'm most looking forward to is on Amazon Prime, and that's Prisma's second season. I tend to seek out foreign films and television more and more, because they feel genuinely more organic and unique... subtitles do give me a headache after awhile though. 

Apple TV has some great shows out right now. IMO, they have far more substance than a lot of stuff out there right now. 

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I’ll be different. Although everyone’s opinion is justified.  

I absolutely loved the film, period. 

When I watch a film, I don’t sit down to psychoanalyze it.  If after 10 mins, I’m bored or lost, chances that will be the end of it. This film just evoke emotions from me, I laughed, a lot, I cried, I emphasized, and it made me wonder. After, I thought about what if I was one of the characters, how different life would be. You know that sort of superficial daydream thing we all do. 

The actors I thought portrayed how I read them in the book. I’m not a big Uma fan, so to me her accent was perfect. Since I don’t live in the South, who am I to judge if it was bad or not?

My favourite scene, and I’m giggling right now, was when the President’s Chief of Staff opens the hotel room door with her override key. 

My disappointment was not having Nora, the V.P.’s daughter, as the thick as mud beastie through out the film and so small of a presence. 

So being just a simple person ;) , the movie was great to me. One of the better adaptations I’ve seen on a book conversion.  

• Like 4

I watched it again and it was better the second time around. I thought the sex scenes were well done, nothing graphic but also emotionally believable—after all we do talk a lot about too much sex in stories, or the sex being unnecessarily graphic in far too many situations. I think I liked it more, too, because I wasn’t trying to analyze it this time and I let myself enjoy the movie for what it was. :thumbup:

• Like 4

I don't disagree with any of the opinions against the film. But, I enjoyed it for a specific reason.

It suspended my disbelief.

Sure, compared to real life and the likelihoods of political reality in the UK or the USA, it is a bit far-fetched. But, it's exactly what I figured it would be. I enjoyed the casting, cinematography and understood the director's intent behind several different choices; despite the fact I had directed it differently inside of my mind.

It was also the director's first feature-film debut, so there's that. I also blame Amazon for, likely, under-budgeting the film.

I'm curious how it might have been different if another studio out-bid Amazon for the film rights. A studio with more of a history standing behind itself. 

Also, Greg Berlanti produced — and he was behind Love, Simon and Love, Victor — so I think that contributed partially to some of the tropes people grow tired of. But alas, rom-coms will always rom-com.

• Like 3

It's always interesting to read the different opinions, so I'm all for these sorts of discussions. :D We're all different people with different things we can overlook. I went into this film not knowing the ending of the book, so I can't really judge it based on the adaptation, just what is in front of me. I do feel like I gave the book a solidly good effort to finish it, but I couldn't.

I do like hearing that the film does seem to not stray too far from the source material though. I think Authors sell the rights to their stories hoping for that and it irks me when smaller market authors have their stories completely gutted from their vision. It is the risk you take, but it can damage an author. 

Love, Victor I didn't like. To me, I thought it was okay the first four-ish episodes. After that it felt prolonged for the sake of attempting to stretch it out so it can be billed as a full season. Then for it to drudge through more seasons was rather pointless. They just left shallow unresolved issues linger on and on.

I also heard that Season 2 of Heartstoppers is guilty of one of my most disliked tropes, but I've not started season 2 yet... 

• Like 2

I have not heard that it was a book, but i just saw the movie and really enjoyed it alot.

I highly recommend it as a movie worth seeing.

Two interesting points about the two lead actors from the research i have done.

1. Both actors are straight.

2. The Actor that plays the prince is actually real royalty from Russia, (checkout the link below) although his parents are British and Greek.

Nicholas Galitzine (London, 1994-) the son of Prince Geoffrey Galitzine and Lora (née Papayanni),[34][35] an actor and musician

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Golitsyn

Edited by quokka
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Krista said:

it felt prolonged for the sake of attempting to stretch it out

surely BAU for US MSM companies where it’s just another product line produced by a production line?

don’t think I’ll be watching :funny:

9 hours ago, Zombie said:

surely BAU for US MSM companies where it’s just another product line produced by a production line?

don’t think I’ll be watching :funny:

Yes, I think most of them have turned the lights off and kept on working. 

• Like 1
On 8/14/2023 at 9:06 PM, quokka said:

I have not heard that it was a book, but i just saw the movie and really enjoyed it alot.

I highly recommend it as a movie worth seeing.

Two interesting points about the two lead actors from the research i have done.

1. Both actors are straight.

2. The Actor that plays the prince is actually real royalty from Russia, (checkout the link below) although his parents are British and Greek.

Nicholas Galitzine (London, 1994-) the son of Prince Geoffrey Galitzine and Lora (née Papayanni),[34][35] an actor and musician

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Golitsyn

I'd be interested to know how you found out they were straight.  From what I could gather, neither one has made a clear statement about their sexuality. 

• Like 1
On 8/13/2023 at 11:29 PM, wildone said:

I’ll be different. Although everyone’s opinion is justified.  

I absolutely loved the film, period. 

When I watch a film, I don’t sit down to psychoanalyze it.  If after 10 mins, I’m bored or lost, chances that will be the end of it. This film just evoke emotions from me, I laughed, a lot, I cried, I emphasized, and it made me wonder. After, I thought about what if I was one of the characters, how different life would be. You know that sort of superficial daydream thing we all do. 

The actors I thought portrayed how I read them in the book. I’m not a big Uma fan, so to me her accent was perfect. Since I don’t live in the South, who am I to judge if it was bad or not?

My favourite scene, and I’m giggling right now, was when the President’s Chief of Staff opens the hotel room door with her override key. 

My disappointment was not having Nora, the V.P.’s daughter, as the thick as mud beastie through out the film and so small of a presence. 

So being just a simple person ;) , the movie was great to me. One of the better adaptations I’ve seen on a book conversion.  

I'm with you.  I loved this movie.  My favorite scene is when the President's Chief of Staff is sitting on the couch with Alex right before she calls her boyfriend to put Henry on the phone.  Her facial expressions are priceless. Yes, it's a cheesy rom-com, but both of the main characters are likeable in their own ways, and I thought their chemistry was great. 

This casting beyond the main characters generates mixed results.  I thought Uma Thurmann was horrible, and Krista was spot on about her accent.  Her husband just didn't seem right for the role.  Too short, too wimpy.  Sorry.  Just my read on it.  But the worst characters of all were the King and Prince Phillip.  The King was very overweight, and while I'm not a body shamer, there haven't been members of the Royal Family, at least in recent memory, who were obese.  He also has terrible teeth.  I know the Brits aren't known for dentistry, but his teeth are worse than Camilla's.  And lighting up a cigarette?  That's pretty preposterous.  Prince Phillip would have been much better if he'd had some more depth, and been less petulant.  They were like bad cartoons.  On the other hand, the President's Chief of Staff, Amy (Secret Service) and the Equerry did great jobs.

What I really find hilarious, though, is that the movie has amazed straight people who didn't seem to realize gay guys could have missionary-position sex.  😀  Another myth busted. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, Krista said:

I was like that with Bros, I got about thirty minutes in, and couldn't go a minute longer.

I got a little farther than you with Bros, but not much.  I was trying to evaluate why I liked RWRB so much better than Bros and it came down to the main characters.  I found that with RWRB I was genuinely cheering on Henry and Alex.  With Bros, I found the characters incredibly annoying. 

• Like 1