Am I the only one?

Definitely not the only one. I haven't written many deaths but the ones I have written stay with me and I shed a tear when I go back and read them. I'm so bad that an emotional scene with many of my characters can still evoke goosebumps and make me feel emotional again. Many of my stories still make me shed a tear or two, how sad is that?

• Love 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Kill your darlings, as what good ole' Willie said. I don't like my characters in general. But when I fall in love with a character, that's a problem.

Like if the character I wrote is literally a person I could fall for in real life, and if I met this guy at a party, on a dating app, bumped into him at a cafe, museum, event, or a hookapp app, oh you betcha, I'm gonna put a ring on that finger.

Cause when you're writing, you're subliminally subverting your character's personality to align with whatever you want and need. And sometimes, your characterization slips past that wall of distance you've put out so that you won't get attached or affected.

So when it does affect you, when you've written a character that's very similar to your past, present or future, and your brain tells you, "You know that there's no way he's gonna live. He's destined to die. You're aware of that, right?" The only choice is to step back and take a breather.

That's what I'm doing now. Take a breather and wait 6 months to write again, till I get to the hearbreaking scene where he gets shot in the head, and I have to narrate the experience by getting inside the head of main character dragging his dead lover in the tundra--which I know will last for an entire chapter. 

• Like 4

Well, since I am playing in the Isekai genre right now, the idea is to kill your character, then reincarnate them into a different world/era 😛 

I do feel bad about killing characters or ending their stories. It's human nature to love our creations, a somewhat narcissistic reflection of self-love as well.

• Like 1

I'm currently in editing mode on a story I massacred together ages ago. While reading through everything multiple times, I got attached to the characters in yet another light. Not only are they my children, but it feels like I get to know them all over again. From a distance.

This morning I arrived at a pivotal point where I killed off someone I really really really like. It ended me.

I was sobbing uncontrollably, and had to stop. I'll try again tomorrow.

• Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 1