Recommended college-based stories

The author has been editing/ghost-writing the last few chapters of It started with Brian which is being posted here in the e-fiction bit. (which is another good story that follows a character into college and beyond).

It's so sad about Dan. But thanks to Adam for carrying on with "It Started With Brian". thumbs-up.gif

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned "Everybody's Wounded" by Duncan Ryder.

Duncan writes stories about complex relationships and always, always, the characters have such depth that they are totally believable.

His use of kisses as a way to express varying types and levels of emotions is second to none. It's what stands out most in his stories. His attention to every little detail is superb.

Thank you so much for the link! I just went to check it out and it seems like a great story. It's going on my "to-read" list.

Hey guys... sorry to disrupt the discussion, but I'm just curious about It Started with Brian. I really love Cross Currents (even told Adam it was the best in online and published stories IMO); I'm just curious why he took over ISwB. I started to read it when it first came out, but lost interest. (Anyway now that Adam's ghostwriting it...)

Hey guys... sorry to disrupt the discussion, but I'm just curious about It Started with Brian. I really love Cross Currents (even told Adam it was the best in online and published stories IMO); I'm just curious why he took over ISwB. I started to read it when it first came out, but lost interest. (Anyway now that Adam's ghostwriting it...)

I think his reasons are personal... check out this thread.

I think his reasons are personal... check out this thread.

Now I know why there hasn't been an update to Cross Currents in a while :D . I'll have to add that Cross Currents is one of my all time favourites (I think I've shamelessly promoted it in a couple other threads). Now I'll have to start reading It Started with Brian.

Take Care®,

Vic

Another one I forgot: Comicality's Between the Lines.

Not generally a fan of Comicality's writing style, but here he's hit the nail on the head in terms of character and conflict. Only four chapters so far.

I'm liking Between the Lines as well, and also Cross Currents, of course, after I discovered it in Vic's promotional thread :D ...

I guess I'll add a few other good college stories I've come across since the last time this thread was active:

Just Visiting by Kit (now a hosted author at GA!)

That's Life

David and Jon

A Simple Seduction

Kind of a random list, but those are the ones I could think of right now that haven't been mentioned yet...

I'm recommending my own story: Mike and Winston. Please overlook the title, which people tend to misconstrue as the banner for a shoddy romance. The story itself stems from two sources: my own thoughts about the high-school-to-college transition, and my literary exploration of what it's like to be a closeted gay man married to a woman. It's not a perfect story, but I do think it's a worthwhile read. Here's the discussion thread, which is (warning!) soaked with spoilers.

1. It's definitely not a shoddy romance story.

2. Nothing is perfect just like nobody is perfect. Regardless, I still maintain that M&W is destined to be a GA classic.

3. M&W should have been mentioned without corvus having to plug his own story.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add another story to the list: Alex and Zach by author Greg.

At first it seemed a bit cliched, but it quickly overcame that. And reading posts in the author's Yahoo group, it's quickly apparent that the story is autobiographical in both spirit and detail. Very richly-drawn characters.

And a real tearjerker of an ending.

Anyway, definitely a must-read.

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to add another story to the list: Alex and Zach by author Greg.

At first it seemed a bit cliched, but it quickly overcame that. And reading posts in the author's Yahoo group, it's quickly apparent that the story is autobiographical in both spirit and detail. Very richly-drawn characters.

And a real tearjerker of an ending.

Anyway, definitely a must-read.

EEEP! Thanks for the plug. I appreciate it. Although it still surprises me when people stumble across my story. And surprises me even more when they take the time to read it!

Thanks

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Like Graeme, I don't have any to add at the moment except some non-serials, below, but the initial list displays awesome taste. Ardveche is my absolute favorite author of any genre or time.

As contrived as it may at times, I love stuff by "Artistic_bi_guy"

• Unexpected Reunion's first chapter is a story about adults, but the second one is college, and I think it can stand alone fairly easily.
  • I Hate You is a two POV story told one per chapter.

That rememinds me of a site a Nifty author had a few years ago that had people nominate and vote for stories. The catch was that categories were things like:

"Most contrived way to get a celebrity to have a conversation with the protagonist"

"Most contrived method of a college student becoming a self-sufficient millionaire"

After reading this post, I searched for Artistic-bi-guy's site, and read his short stories which are brilliant. I highly recommend his Short stories.

I would like to recommend 2 stories by jpm770 in Nifty College....Whats up Dude... and the latest one....Joe College...they are both fantastic. Sadly I don't know how to provide the links...perhaps someone could explain.

Pete :worship::worship::worship:

• 1 year later...

There are a few more that should be added to the list. Some of these involve characters and relationships that started in hi:

Dan Hanratty's work-in-progress, Beloved. It's posted on his site hosted here at GA. (It's unrelated to his earlier triology.)

Reclaiming Alex is almost finished, Billy the Kid has implied there's only a few chapters left, but his pace is not as frequent as the earlier chapters.

Fraternity Memoirs, even though it won't be finished, is still worth a read.

CRVboy os hosting several writers with stories that have a college setting including Jeff Allen, JW Smith, BndgDawg, Jess Mercer, Tim Mead, Jack Scribe's Splash series, his Vegas series, and his other series set in Chicago and Washington posted both here and at CRVboy, and the Foley-Mashburh series by Brew Drinker.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm writing this in lieu of preparing a presentation for tomorrow, but whatevs. Priorities, right?

First things first, I second, third, fourth, etc. the recommendations for Human Condition. It's one of my top 5 stories I've read online, and I've read quite a few. Educating Alex is an excellent story as well. Although the ending is rather abrupt, but everything else is great. Now, onto my recommendations.

Me and T.S. Eliot (a.k.a UCLA Jock Romance) by Andrew J

- This is one of my favorite short stories. Short, simple, and sweet. The narrator is a varsity football jock who thinks rather highly of himself, but still comes off as charming (at least, IMO). Plus, the use of T.S. Eliot in this story is adorable.

Operation College Quarterback by Phoenix

- I haven't read this one in a while, but I remember liking it. About a high school senior and a college athlete. Secret rendezvous, stuff like that. And since it's on Nifty, you can expect sex.

My Blonde Brad by someone

- Again, haven't read this one in a while either, but I do remember liking it. I don't particularly remember what happened in it, but if you prefer closure to your story, then you probably shouldn't read this. The author ran out of steam and abruptly ended it. But the rest of should be a good read.

...I actually thought I had more recommendations, but it turns out I don't. Most of the good ones have been mentioned already. Okay, back to work.

Edited by canundra
  • 2 months later...

I read this story a while ago and can't remember its name its kind of hot, naughty, funny and there are some cliches but they are just so over-the-top sometimes its hilarious (at least for me).

The plot goes likes this:

Guy meets guy in the dorm room. One guy is shy and other is not. Well you might this might be about sexuality but its more about ....nudity. So they have this over the top hilarious dares about streaking around campus, jogging naked around campus and etc. One thing leads to another and shy gets overs his shyness and sings up as a art class model to make money. And then other people join in and its kind of like a orgy some-times (sometimes they can get so over the top you can't help but skip it cause the dialog is hilarious after that). But it was a fun story to read and tried looking through my bookmarks and such and can't find it anywhere.

I don't even know what website I found it on. I think I might have read it on some-ones recommendation at this forum or awesomedude forum.

So if some one knows of it please let me know.

Thanks in advance and if this not allowed you can remove this post.

The story is Hank and Kyle, at Nifty.

I read this story a while ago and can't remember its name its kind of hot, naughty, funny and there are some cliches but they are just so over-the-top sometimes its hilarious (at least for me).

The plot goes likes this:

Guy meets guy in the dorm room. One guy is shy and other is not. Well you might this might be about sexuality but its more about ....nudity. So they have this over the top hilarious dares about streaking around campus, jogging naked around campus and etc. One thing leads to another and shy gets overs his shyness and sings up as a art class model to make money. And then other people join in and its kind of like a orgy some-times (sometimes they can get so over the top you can't help but skip it cause the dialog is hilarious after that). But it was a fun story to read and tried looking through my bookmarks and such and can't find it anywhere.

I don't even know what website I found it on. I think I might have read it on some-ones recommendation at this forum or awesomedude forum.

So if some one knows of it please let me know.

Thanks in advance and if this not allowed you can remove this post.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this topic as I am looking for a good college based story -

As for recommendations the only one that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is Noah and Jordan it is not yet finished and the author only updates every few months but it is a brilliant story with a good plot and likeable characters

And I would also like to agree with MikeL ppete - Joe College is brilliant and I was so happy when he started updating it again recently and I enjoyed Whats up dude?

Oh and the Peacher Series by Mike Arram is absolutely Brilliant! A number of the stories take place in Uni but there are also some high school and continuing relationship stories mixed into the series it can be found here

Edited by Tristian
  • 2 weeks later...

Educating Alex was good.

I couldn't bring myself to finish Working It Out. After awhile, it just didn't seem to add anything new to the story (or any different to any other stories). Maybe if it was the first story on this topic ever to be read, it would be appealing.

Everybody's Wounded was ok too.

The whole Just Hit Send series is ok too. I wish there was a story on Bug though! :(

• 1 month later...

Some really good suggestions. gona read some of them. I've read Cross courents, and It started with Brian, that's on the top of my list, how about, Jake's hand and Jakes side, I also enjoyed working it out

Guest russian

Guys and gals, does anybody know if Billy the Kid is going to update Reclaiming Austin anytime soon? I think, aside from a teaser sometime in the middle of 2009, the last chapter was posted almost two years ago. Has Billy given up? Kinda curious to know what's up with the sexy Aussie wine guy. I mean it's clear he is at lest HIV positive, if not with full-blown AIDS, but where the author will be taking this story arc is anybody's guess at this point. Billy, if you're reading this, please come back and post again real soon!

Edited to add. Two thumbs up for It Started With Brian. A poignant true story of Sam's life. I still can't get it out of my head, almost a week after reading it. And Adam did a superb job ghost-writing the story to completion.

Educating Alex is truly exceptional. Too bad the author, Ardveche, ceased posting 5 years ago, spooked by a bunch of flamers who thought nothing of ripping into him for no reason whatsoever. All his stories are superb. He also penned New to This State (high school) and Copier Guy (young adults). Before you flame me for the last two recommendations, I do realize neither is college-based, but both are so superb, I thought I'd put in a plug for them anyway.

Edited by russian
  • 1 month later...

Hi ya, just to add to the list:

Zebbie Martin aka Frenchmartini is another fantastic author. I'll link to her FictionPress profile, and highly recommend 'Nerves'. It's a little sugar-sweet, but very good.

http://www.fictionpress.com/u/630320/frenchmartini

There's also the amazing Jesse Halijeck, author of The God Eaters and writer for the webcomic Metanoia. He does a lot of fantasy and AU writing, but he does have a semi-coming of age story 'Henry and the Shadows'. It's not sugary-sweet, but it does have interesting and well-written ups and downs.

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2631601/1/Henry_and_the_Shadow