[dkstories] Surprise Christmas present -- DOH 30 and 31

• Site Administrator

I just saw the announcement -- a very pleasant surprise on Christmas Day here in Australia.

Thanks, Dan!

Merry Christmas to you and Robert. :music:

Thanks a lot Dan for your wonderful Christmas present .

To read two chapters at once is really a pleasure :worship: .

To find a society with true borns and clones as equals is a dream come true !

As this at Christmas ist like a hope for our own society, a hope to build a world without differences between gays and straights, between white and colored, between richs and poors.

Have a good holiday time and take care of you.

Greetings to the warrior you are, as Garret is :sword: .

Old Bob

Edited by old bob

Wow, Dan. Thanks for the gift.

And what a couple of chapters! :worship:

Assuming that everybody reading this post have already read the chapters, I have a couple of comments.

First of all, I just liked everything about the bolt-hole. I guess that, to be truly effective, a bolt-hole has to be a life of its own, especially one that has been sort of 'suspended' during the period of absence of an Atrix hair. Smart trick the one of filtering info outside the bolt-hole about its true capabilities even to Atrix's staff.

I liked the metareference to your own story when you described the foundation of the Great Houses. Nice touch, if I got it right! :)

I look forward to the moment when Ada will wake up into her new, bigger body... as I look forward to the moment when Aaron will discover that 'his' Garret is bringing home a clone no less than bonded to him... B)

Oh, and by the way: thanks for the 'double' Christmas gift: in Chapter 31, during Garret's visit to class 05-PC-83, there is 'EMoe's teasing material'.... :whistle:

I'll leave the hunting opened....

Hi everybody.

Lele

Thank you for the xmas gift!!! Very unexpected, and very welcome!

I was wondering what would happen to Adamant when I read about the Adamant type ship, but larger and more heavily armed, but needing an AI core! So, ADA gets a new body, and more firepower! This does sound promising!! (and I think she will be pleased).

I absolutely LOVED the 05, Niel, latching onto Garret at the end. That was hilarious, and should prove exceedingly interesting!

And as I mentioned before, the strategic location of the bolt-hole, smack dab in Earth's rear AND unknown, PLUS providing a way to jump a republic fleet to Earth's rear, looks promising indeed!

The "Dune" allusion was funny!

I look forward to the moment when Ada will wake up into her new, bigger body... as I look forward to the moment when Aaron will discover that 'his' Garret is bringing home a clone no less than bonded to him... B)

Ohhhh!!! I didn't think of that! Aaron will NOT be pleased. :lmao:

Oh, and by the way: thanks for the 'double' Christmas gift: in Chapter 31, during Garret's visit to class 05-PC-83, there is 'EMoe's teasing material'.... :whistle:

EDITOR TEASING TIME! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :read:

There were more questions, and he answered them for thirty minutes as he began to grown more familiar with the clones in the room,

Egads, it is! It's a misplaced letter! Oh, the Humanity! Let the Editor Teasing commence!!! :P

I'd best be careful here, otherwise Emoe will take revenge by having me misspelling my own name (or just leaving some of my more-embarasing goofs intact) the next time I post a chapter! :lmao:

...in Chapter 31, during Garret's visit to class 05-PC-83, there is 'EMoe's teasing material'.... :whistle:

EDITOR TEASING TIME! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :read:

Egads, it is! It's a misplaced letter! Oh, the Humanity! Let the Editor Teasing commence!!! :P

I'd best be careful here, otherwise Emoe will take revenge by having me misspelling my own name (or just leaving some of my more-embarasing goofs intact) the next time I post a chapter! :lmao:

:read: Chapter? :pissed: Did you send me a chapter? :evil: You mean this thing that looks like it was dipped in RED after I went through it the first time? :thumbdown:

By the way ---> :off:

We were discussion Ada and her soon-to-be new body, I believe?!?

:read: Chapter? :pissed: Did you send me a chapter? :evil: You mean this thing that looks like it was dipped in RED after I went through it the first time? :thumbdown:

By the way ---> :off:

We were discussion Ada and her soon-to-be new body, I believe?!?

Uhoh. I take it that I should have made some money by investing in red ink comodity futures prior to sending you the my chapter? Hmmmm.. I used to only have to supply EMoe with red ink by the barrel ful, but I guess now I'll have to send it by tanker trucks? :*)

I'm VERY interested to see what kind of weaponry Ada will have. I'll bet her comments are priceless. She's certainly not going to be favorably disposed to the people who blew up her old hull and crew!

I'm even more interested in seeing what use Garret makes of the strategic position of his bolt-hole!

Just a hunch, but I think things are heating up fast.

Hmmm... Starting an Editor teasing round for a misplaced letter would be mean, wouldn't it? :evil:

No, in fact I was referring to:

"Is this what you dream of, Frederick?" I asked him.

The story is told in 3rd person. Now, while we know now that DK is identifying himself with Garret while he writes, I think this switch to the 1st person could qualify as ETWM (Editor Teasing Worth Material), that's why I hinted to it...

Anyway, just kidding.

To put things back into their perspective, the last EMoe's teasing round took place when we were at chapter 6 or 7, something like that. And, considering the lenght of each chapter, the percentage of slips is below meaningfulness threshold.

That is to mean: EMoe, we wouldn't tease you if you weren't such a great Editor. :worship: Thanks for your work, too.

Enough for the OT. Let's get back to business... :read::)

Lele

Edited by leledoct
Uhoh. I take it that I should have made some money by investing in red ink comodity futures prior to sending you the my chapter? Hmmmm.. I used to only have to supply EMoe with red ink by the barrel ful, but I guess now I'll have to send it by tanker trucks? :*)

Give the tanker a rest, CJ. I was only teasing you back. I actually haven't even looked at your chapter yet. I may get some time this afternoon, but don't hold your breath.

Hmmm... Starting an Editor teasing round for a misplaced letter would be mean, wouldn't it? :evil:

The story is told in 3rd person. Now, while we know now that DK is identifying himself with Garret while he writes, I think this switch to the 1st person could qualify as ETWM (Editor Teasing Worth Material), that's why I hinted to it...

Anyway, just kidding.

To put things back into their perspective, the last EMoe's teasing round took place when we were at chapter 6 or 7, something like that. And, considering the lenght of each chapter, the percentage of slips is below meaningfulness threshold. That is to mean: EMoe, we wouldn't tease you if you weren't such a great Editor. Thanks for your work, too. Enough for the OT. Let's get back to business...

Yup, that is a fairly bad one to miss. Oh well, we are all human here - unlike Garret and Ada...

And to be clear, I am just a member of the team working DK. Sometimes, I feel like you all put me up there with Dan but I'm just a behind-the-scenes person, doing my little bit to help out where I can. Dan is the one who deserves all the praise and thanks for that fertile, well-harveted imagination he brings to bear on the stories he shares with us.

Thanks Dan!

For all you do, this post's for you! :2thumbs:

Well, yes, it would be mean, but that's the whole idea! :lmao:

Heck, I'm not above accusing Emoe of forgetting to dot an "i" 0:)

Hmmm, that's either Editor-teasing materiel, or DK-teasing materiel. I, however, make it a point to never tease someone who can send Vampire Jarrod to make a house-call at my abode, so, I'll tease Emoe, much safer that way. :P

Anyway, just kidding.

To put things back into their perspective, the last EMoe's teasing round took place when we were at chapter 6 or 7, something like that. And, considering the lenght of each chapter, the percentage of slips is below meaningfulness threshold.

That is to mean: EMoe, we wouldn't tease you if you weren't such a great Editor. :worship: Thanks for your work, too.

Enough for the OT. Let's get back to business... :read::)

Seriously, very true: Emoe is great, and I wouldn't tease him either if he wasn't so good. For those that don't know, Emoe also edits for me, which should give an idea about how I feel about him (he's the best, period).

Give the tanker a rest, CJ. I was only teasing you back.

I actually haven't even looked at your chapter yet. I may get some time this afternoon, but don't hold your breath.

See? You might be needing the tanker-load of red ink after all! :P

OK, Back on topic!

Given the exceedingly fortuitous strategic location of Garret's bolt-hole, plus (more importantly IMHO) the ability to use that natural jump point to place forces in Sol's rear, unbeknownst to them, I'm guessing that it is a near certainty that this will actually need to be used.

One possibility I see would be Sol moving against the Republic in concert with Leonev. From Sol's strategic perspective, the civil war is too good an opportunity to pass up. If the Republic couldn't defeat their combined forces, they could force Sol to back off by mounting a strategic threat to Earth itself. From Garret's bolt-hole, a Republic fleet might be able to reach Earth before Sol could recall its forces. They wouldn't need to invade: They could threaten Earth with destruction instead. Given the ability to accelerate ships to 1/2C, and given the tonnage that some of the larger ships must have, they would only need to get one past the planetary defences (on remote control or a kamikaze AI) and the resulting impact, at that velocity, would be significantly larger than the asteroid impact that wiped out the Dinosaurs, and left a 200 mile wide crater. In other words, a real planet-buster.

Or, stand off and bombard with mass-drivers.

OK, the above is just my wild guess. Anyone else have any guesses?

GREAT story DK, no matter where it goes! :2thumbs:

GACK - what have I told you about inflating his ego - REMEMBER - I STILL have to live with him...

;-)

:lmao:

Well, I'll do my bit:

DK made an allusion to Frank Herbert's Dune, but, frankly, I much prefer DoH to Dune: DOH is far better. (and I'm not kidding about that).

Anyone else have any guesses?

Yes, me! :*)

I was thinking that the fact that Garret has at his disposal a full army, well-trained, well-equipped, technologically advanced even compared to the Repubblic, made of people who have a loyalty that borders into faith toward Atrix House, and above all things made of people who have the ethical concept that clones and True Borns are equally human so deeply rooted as they have...

Well, I think this also will have a major role in chapters ahead.

Lele

Well that just does it...now I have to go back and rewrite all the last nine chapters because you folks guessed the plot!

(Um, Just kidding...some of these guesses are CLOSE, but you still don't get the cigar.)

Believe it or not, the Dune alliteration came about AFTER I had fleshed out how the government of the Republic works. After I was done, I sat back and looked at it as "Oh my, it's similar to Frank Herbert's Dune". Then I thought about changing it so it was not so similar, even though I had never consciously sought to make them so similar, and decided instead that I would thrown in this little bit of 'neat' trivia about the story.

In the 1930's, 40's, and 50's, Science Fiction's Golden Age was just getting going. In those days, some of the best sci-fi writers to ever live gave us fascinating glimpses of the near and distant future. Since the 1960's science fiction has been growing more and more mainstream. Nowadays, modern bookstores are filled with several overloaded shelves in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy sections. Thousands of authors have created thousands of worlds, and amidst all that, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a totally unique world that bears no similarities to the works of other authors.

When I'm working on an original story, I do my best to not consciously base primary elements of the story on things I've read in the works of authors. No matter how hard I try, though, you're always going to find similarities. Therefore, when I realized this one in Dreams, I thought a good reaction would be to acknowledge the similarities in an oblique way, instead of just trying to pretend they didn't exist.

Oh, and a slightly guilty admission here...the uniforms of Sol Empire officers were based on the Durmstrang uniforms from HP & Goblet of Fire (the movie version with those hot guys all dressed in red at the Yule Ball - minuse the furry accouterments). Nope you haven't seen them yet (Sol Imperial officers), but you will...at least one, maybe more.

(is that a teaser or what?)

Hi everyone,

Wow! What a brilliant mind DK has! :worship:

I love the bolt hole and everything about it.

I hope Ada gets new Atrix advances that the other ships don't have.

Should we keep guessing about future events? I wonder about Neal and his role. At first I thought he might save Garret in the near future, but now I think he might save his future son. Sounds like something big coming.

Oh, and a slightly guilty admission here...the uniforms of Sol Empire officers were based on the Durmstrang uniforms from HP & Goblet of Fire (the movie version with those hot guys all dressed in red at the Yule Ball - minuse the furry accouterments). Nope you haven't seen them yet (Sol Imperial officers), but you will...at least one, maybe more.

(is that a teaser or what?)

Hmmmm! Now why would we be seeing Sol uniforms in the story? :devil:

This is one heck of a good story, DK. :2thumbs:

Guest DesDownunder

Hi I have only just discovered Dreams Of Humanity from a reference by Graeme at another site Thanks Graeme.

I am not usually fond of reading science fiction, though I really love watching Sci-fi Movies.

I have read Dune and Blade Runner amongst a few other titles.

I Have just now finished reading all 31 chapters Of Dreams Of Humanity and my bf is wondering if he should book me in to a rehab centre for withdrawal symptoms, from not having another chapter to read. :D

I really love the satire on the Earth religions alongside the philosophy of the Republic. What a clever, clever device.

As for the intrigue of the marital situations, I am pleasantly surprised at how well thought they are. So realistic.

The space battles are well justified within the plot and not just there to satisfy the readers desire for such things,

It is however the underlying dreams of humanity that pervades not only the clones and the humans in the story but also the reader as well.

This story could well be referred to as the Gay Star Wars by some, but for me it will always remain part of the Dreams of Humanity, fulfilled.

:)

This story could well be referred to as the Gay Star Wars by some, but for me it will always remain part of the Dreams of Humanity, fulfilled.

Nicely coined phrase, DesDownunder :thumbup: and welcome to the Danimal House!

Guest DesDownunder

Thanks for the welcome EMoe57.

Did I mention I really like Dreams Of Humanity? :D

Des.

Now, who was the mean freak that gave this thread a rating of three stars? Oh well, I gave it a five so it at least got up to a four.

(yes, just putting an extra post in the forum because I DO read them even if I don't regularly reply - I try to keep my replies to my blog so discussing the story itself is easier here...I'm also glad there are more people finding the story and enjoying it...I had a lot of fun writing it over the last few months!)

Now, who was the mean freak that gave this thread a rating of three stars? Oh well, I gave it a five so it at least got up to a four.

The rating thing is tricky for this oldtimer. I tried to give it a bump and ended up rating it a 2. At least I figured out I could change my rating to 5 so I'm hoping that will be stay permanent. *sigh* Time for bed!

Guest DesDownunder
The rating thing is tricky for this oldtimer. I tried to give it a bump and ended up rating it a 2. At least I figured out I could change my rating to 5 so I'm hoping that will be stay permanent. *sigh* Time for bed!

At least you knew it was there EMoe57. How did you change your rating?

It tells me my rating was 3 but I don't remember even clicking on it. :D

Des

At least you knew it was there EMoe57. How did you change your rating?

It tells me my rating was 3 but I don't remember even clicking on it. :D

Des

Welcome, DesDonnunder!

You have to go to the top of the thread, and there is a box towards the right with stars on it. Click that and you can rate it.

I have to comiserate with Emoe here: I've slipped while rating a thread and hit the wrong number before, but fortunatly it lets you correct it.

Edited by C James