Please, do yourself a favor and make certain that all beverages are removed from the vicinity of your computer before clicking on the link.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Japanese-...7459875122.html

This, believe it or not, is a real news story, appearing in several news outlets worldwide. The above links if from Australia's Sydney Morning Herald, discussing a current scam in Japan.

I did do a search, as I suspected a hoax due to being so incomprehensible. So far, it appears that either "victims" are dumber than posts, or the reporters are.

Here is another paper's story on the situation.

I think somebody got the wool pulled over their eyes, but I suspect it might be the reporters; People might be stupid, but could anyone be THAT stupid? Of course, if it's not real, then the reporters fell for something that makes them look far more gullible than the purported poodle/sheep buyers.

Either way, I find this hilarious! :sheep:

• Site Administrator

I read this in another newspaper yesterday. Yes, I couldn't believe it, either.

This particular article has more details than the other one I read. If people are not familiar with the animal in question, then I suppose it can be excused... almost.

I have to say, though, that there must have been SOME customers who spotted the swap before they bought -- why didn't they alert the police?

As for the actress -- can you imagine going on TV and asking what's wrong with your pet, and then learning the truth....?

I read this in another newspaper yesterday. Yes, I couldn't believe it, either.

This particular article has more details than the other one I read. If people are not familiar with the animal in question, then I suppose it can be excused... almost.

I have to say, though, that there must have been SOME customers who spotted the swap before they bought -- why didn't they alert the police?

As for the actress -- can you imagine going on TV and asking what's wrong with your pet, and then learning the truth....?

I suspect that, even if the were unfamilier, they might be aware that Dogs don't have hooves, or bleat? :sheep:

As for the actress, I'd say she must have had a very baaaaad day... :devil:

I suspect that, even if the were unfamiliar, they might be aware that Dogs don't have hooves, or bleat?

Mmmh... Makes me think... How much could we get by selling them goats from Arizona or Canada and tell them they're German sheperds? 2,000$? Quite a nice market, and easy money to be made. And it would cut down on the competition for highest posters by getting rid of the lurkers!

Uh... CJ? Your second reliable souce is The Sun? Well, do you know that not many of us have lots of interest for their page 3 babe (who will always be their #1)

lol... I wouldn't imagine anyone trying to pass off another animal for something else... let alone selling.. and it actually working to a point. :blink:

Krista

It appear that the story itself is a scam or urban myth.

I'm surprised at the newspapers that printed the story -- the Australian newspapers are usually quite reliable and not given to (too much) sensationalism.

Darn, i had my doubts that it could be true, and it looks like it isn't. I suppose, though, that it's even funnier this way; the newpapers (including some reputable ones) were caught red-handed just re-wording someone else's story, as they clearly didn't do any research themselves. :lmao: