Jump to content

CDMX 14. C. J. Boomers, Gen Xers, & Millenials

   (14 reviews)

A little over a year after graduating from Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service, the State department posts CJ Abelló to the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. CJ, his husband Owen Liston, and their daughter, Elizabeth Liston Abelló, immediately make themselves at home south of the Rio Grande.
Until disaster strikes and their lives are forever altered.

p align="center" style="text-align:center;"> Brock Burnett is the intellectual property of Jack Scribe.

Brandon Holstrom and Embers are the intellectual property of WolfM.
 

This is a work of fiction set in the real world.
Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously
Any other resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental.

Copyright © 2021 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (32 members)

  • Action Packed 28
  • Addictive/Pacing 31
  • Characters 32
  • Chills 10
  • Cliffhanger 19
  • Compelling 23
  • Feel-Good 19
  • Humor 23
  • Smoldering 11
  • Tearjerker 10
  • Unique 21
  • World Building 19

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Albert1434

· Edited by Albert1434

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Carlos Masterfully written story is a genuinely great read! His characters are believable and beautifully written. With a powerful dynamic story line which I absolutely loved. Great dialouge, rich, colorful, and effective description! And wonderful places that come to life in real ways.

I am sure you will love this story!

 

  • Love 3
Link to review
Cscampbell

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

@Carlos Hazday does a great job at putting you into the thoughts and emotions of his characters. So far I love every single story within the CJ series, and I anticipate enjoying the rest.

CDMX is the story of CJ's first posting with the United States State Department in Mexico City. There are ups and downs, a few tears, a lot of laughs, and just some great writing. 

I'm very much looking forward to reading the next installment in the CJ saga, and would recommend this story to anyone who likes reading.

Keep up the good work Carlos!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
belisima

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Mr. Hazday never fails to excite, amuse, or keep me on the edge of my seat as he once again sheds light onto some of my favorite fictional characters. His storytelling flows beautifully and I thoroughly enjoy his descriptions of scenes as well as his fully realized cast of characters.I will happily be a fan for as long as this talented author cares to write. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
Theo Wahls

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

I spent the 2022 Pride Month rereading the entire CJ saga including all the side stories. As a great story, it stands alone. As a whole what a maturation of an angry rejected boy for being gay to being a forceful member of society and proud of his sexuality.

A distant father saves his son from the draconian actions of his stepfather. The love and support he receives seems limitless and allows CJ's growth to a become a loving father and husband. Carlos Hazday has a knack for catching and capturing believable characters and weaving them into the scenario. 

A great read

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
Bryson

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

I have to admit, I have a love/hate relationship with CJ… and I guess, by extension, with Carlos Hazday.

I love the characters and their interactions–they are engaging, and I become emotionally invested in their well-being. To me this is the sign of a great author. I admit I was late to the party on this one; I think when I first discovered Carlos’ stories CDMX had either just begun posting or was about to. Even so, I have read the entire series straight through, start to finish, at least twice–but maybe more. I love all of the effort Carlos puts into his development of both characters and the situations that occur, as well as how much detail he adds to whatever locations they are in.

Now for the hate part, which has two sides to it. The easy one is that I hate it that CJ is on a break—currently recuperating from his latest experiences in Mexico City and gearing up for what is next with his foundation that will be in the works soon. That’s the easy one, and I know Carlos will take care of that in due time. I’m sure not soon enough for me—I want it all NOW—but in what he feels is the right length of time for him and the story. I can’t even begin to fathom how he can write so much so well, and I applaud both his efforts and his talents.

The harder part of the “hate section” is that I am afraid that I will not see CJ as president in my lifetime, and that hurts. Especially with the latest decision by the Supreme Court (and I TRULY cannot wait to hear Owen’s reaction to this one)!

I am only left with one idea, and it really is Brad’s:

“Damn, CJ, our world’s so fucked up. Finish growing up so you can run for President. We need someone with your common sense…”

“Jesus, CJ! Do you remember when we were in New York for your birthday? I asked you to grow up already, and run for President. You just made me want it more. How the fuck did you end up being so much wiser than the rest of us?”

Carlos’ stories give us hope when it is badly needed. I don’t know that I could ever conceive of a better president than CJ. I only hope I live long enough to see it happen. I need someone like him in office, and I truly believe that our country does too.

Thank you, CJ, for giving us hope. And thank you, Carlos, for telling his story.

  • Love 9
Link to review
Jabba

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Just completed the re read and yes, I agree this story is brilliant. The weaving of the recent events improved the narrative so that a non-American (Aussie) was able to understand the American psyche as displayed. I found the characters super, as in extaordinary and very appealing.

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
Daddydavek

· Edited by Daddydavek

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Book 14 of the CJverse is a masterful weaving characters and an episode foreshadowed in the story about his brother Ritchie's time at the Air Force Academy.

As the episode in Cadet was never fully explained it became the longest running cliff hanger in GA history until it is finally revealed in this story.  That the story has garnered more commentary than any of the other contemporary stories is a tribute to the author and the story with the general camaraderie displayed therein which carries over to the readers. 

Others have reviewed the story and mentioned the great writing.  I'm telling you it's a great story told well.  My hat is off to Carlos Hazday, may he continue to treat us with his ability to spin a yarn.

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
pvtguy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Written with the usual high quality that is standard for Carlos Hazday!  This story will keep you intrigued, happy, sad, angry, entertained, involved - and above all, admiring the core values that sustain this series:  loyalty, love, strong values, and commitment to making the world around them better whenever and however they can.  Part of a must read series!

  • Like 3
  • Love 6
Link to review
JR Tittle

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is one of those stories that has just about anything you could ask for in a story: laughter, mystery, suspense, intrigue…and at the end, leaves you wanting more. 
 

Most excellent story!

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
tabaqui

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Carlos show again why he is a great writer, this story is well written, has lot of details and it never feels rushed in telling the story.

Only downside is the cliffy he created somewhere at the end after hinting about it several years ago. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
Gary L

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Another 5***** part of a really great series.  I have always enjoyed the on-going story, even if not always a fan of the hero, but this is a very good read.  The story in Mexico is well-set and our heroes have a roller coaster ride.  
A must!

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
WolfM

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Once again, Mr. Hazday crafted an incredible story to build on the life of CJ Abello, Owen Liston, and their daughter Liebe. It chronicles the young diplomat, on his first assignment, working at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. We're treated to a variety of new characters who fit in well with the Abello/Liston family. Intrigue, action, and of course wonderful travel locations all come together to make this the perfect addition to what Carlos has previously crafted.

This is a definite must read, no matter if you have or haven't read the previous books.

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
Nahrung

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Excellent story with an excellent Epilogue and I've learned to expect nothing less from Carlos Hazday!

  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Link to review
chris191070

· Edited by chris191070

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

3 years after Carlos concluded the CJ story, he returns with this new story which starts to fill in the gaps.

We follow CJ, Ozzie and Liebe as CJ takes a job at the US Embassy in Mexico, he's still fairly new to his job, as he only been graduated from Georgetown for just over a year.

His boss Northam immediately takes a dislike to CJ, because of his life outside the Embassy, where he his helpful in some major projects both in Mexico and USA. Of course the Ambassador takes an instant liking to CJ.

We meet alot of familiar faces in this story and a few new faces. As with all CJ stories there are plenty of holidays, which are well described.

There is drama, happiness, sadness and a dramatic conclusion to this story.

This comes highly recommended as do all the CJ novels.

I look forward to the return of CJ, Owen, Liebe and family and friends.

  • Like 2
  • Love 12
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..