Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,078 Words
  • 752 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 19. Chapter 19

Jeremy's eyes widened as Jakun fell. The cat had just shot a dragon point blank in the face. Without any alcohol to calm his nerves. He was fast becoming a legend in Jeremy's eyes.

As the cleric watched, the dragon roared, destroying the pyramid as he thrashed about. Suddenly, the dragon vanished, as though teleported out of the city… or summoned…

"I just saw that… right?" Jeremy demanded.

Amnor Sen was too busy catching the falling amurran, Jakun collapsing in his arms. Jeremy didn't blame the cat for passing out. He was close to it himself.

Seeking his wand, Jeremy conjured some water, transmuting it into a bland alcohol. He gulped it all down, his heart slowly calming from the events of the night.

Amnor Sen slapped Jakun lightly, the cat waking reluctantly. Sighing, Jeremy refilled his mug and poured it into Jakun's mouth, the cat coughing as the weak alcohol hit him.

"You know, that was stupidly brave. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was a pal-"

"Don't start," Amnor Sen grumbled, gently setting Jakun on his feet.

Jeremy shook his head sadly.

"That used to make you laugh," he groused.

"Ivris… where is he?" Jakun shivered.

"Gone. He vanished after you shot him," Jeremy said.

"Vanished?!"

Jakun flinched, while Amnor Sen looked sceptical.

"He was summoned away?" the cat asked.

"Or teleported," Jeremy offered helpfully. "Can dragons teleport?"

"He was destroying the city. Why would he teleport away?" Amnor Sen asked.

"I shot him in the eye," Jakun said. "Maybe he'd had enough? Fuck… he's going to kill me if he finds me…"

"Then perhaps we should get out of the city," Amnor Sen offered. "As much as I want to rest… this place is rather trying on the soul."

An elf hurried up to the group, a giant smile on her face.

"You are the ones who unleashed the ravener, correct?"

Amnor Sen frowned, staring at the black robed elf.

"That was me. These two had nothing to do with it," Jakun said instantly. "Don't punish them for my failure."

"Punish? Oh no, on the contrary, I wish to reward you. Your… 'failure' has made me unimaginably wealthy. See, I've been buying indentures from the locals, young humans who crave the opportunity to learn magic. Their indentures were about to run out, but now they're dead. It will be no big issue to raise them again, and their indentures will be forfeited. They are now my slaves" the elf laughed.

Amnor Sen and Jeremy both recoiled, though Jakun just nodded, as though this was common for him. Amnor Sen supposed it was.

"Perhaps you would be interested in learning magic under me, free of cost, as a sign of my gratitude…"

The elf set an arm around the amurran, leading him away slightly.

"I don't like this," Amnor Sen said.

"Yeah, I agree, we can't let him go with her," Jeremy replied, staring after Jakun.

"He is still free… I don't see what we can do to stop him."

"Don't you own him? Like… legally, you bought him," Jeremy pointed out.

"I don't want to own him-"

"No, of course not. But you can just tell Jakun that he is yours and he is not permitted to learn under a necromancer," Jeremy pointed out.

"Yeah… that is true…"

The elf turned after Jakun, frowning as he walked toward the cat and the necromancer.

"-didn't realise you already knew magic. Obviously there isn't much I can teach you, but take this," the necromancer said as Amnor Sen approached.

She handed a scroll case to Jakun, the cat adjusting a book in his arms to accept the case.

"These should help you on your travels. If there is anything I can help you with… within reason of course… let me know," she added.

Amnor Sen glared at the case, trying to figure out what was inside. He didn't detect any evil content within the case. The book was… the neko's workbook? Hadn't he sent that to… wherever?

"Thank you… though I'm not sure this is good?" Jakun said uncertainly.

"Well, not for them," the necromancer laughed. "But I assure you, four scrolls in exchange for a hundred new slaves is a very good deal. Maybe if I'm lucky, some of them will still remember their lessons."

Amnor Sen shook his head in disgust.

"Come Jakun. We need to rest. Tomorrow, we're leaving this place."

He put a guiding hand around the cat, moving Jakun away from the elf. Amnor Sen honestly didn't know what he was going to do about Jakun. The cat had summoned a dragon. How were they supposed to deal with this?

"Let's get some sleep. Jakun, you're staying in our room," Jeremy said. "You've lost the privilege of privacy."

The cat nodded, not seeming too upset. Amnor Sen had the distinct feeling it wasn't that harsh of a punishment for him.

"If you ever do something like this again, there will be harsher consequences."

Amnor Sen and Jeremy shared a look at the elf's words.

"Oh fuck, we have a kid…" Jeremy sighed. "I'm too sober for this…"

"Well, we don't have the silver for drinks, so you're staying sober," Amnor Sen said.

"Am I the beer daddy? I don't really have the belly for it though…" Jeremy joked.

Jakun just stared between them in mild amusement.

"You know, we did just fight a dragon-" Amnor Sen started.

"Jakun fought a dragon. At best, the dragon fought you," Jeremy scoffed.

"I didn't see you fighting."

"Maybe because I was out of spells. You know I can't cast constantly. Besides, I was trying to save the people the dragon was hells-bent on murdering."

"Yeah, well, don't expect me to kiss you. You still have blood on your face."

Jeremy shook his head as they entered the inn, a trio of exhausted men passing a rather alarmed bartender.

"What in Geb's name happened out there?!" the man demanded.

"Death, despair, a dragon…"

Jeremy shrugged, moving toward their room.

"It's been dealt with," Amnor Sen added. "We'll be out of your way in the morning."

He held back a yawn as they stepped into the bedroom. Stripping to his bedclothes, the elf fell onto the bed with a groan.

"Fuck… don't unleash a dragon again," he grumbled at Jakun.

The amurran let out a nervous smile, sliding down against the door.

The three all passed out quickly, their minds thoroughly exhausted.

I would like to apologise for the double posting. I've been writing all of this on my phone, and the paste option is clearly more sensitive than I give credit for.
Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, IkeNeko said:

The nice Necromancer lady - if that’s not suspicious then I dunno what is 😂

My lips are sealed on this matter 😛

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

My lips are sealed on this matter 😛

And that’s why I love you - well it’s not the only reason of course. 😂

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..