Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 823 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 24. Chapter 24

Jakun shut the door to the pyramid quietly, his eyes working to adjust to the magic enhanced gems that lit the interior. He knew this was a bad idea, no, a terrible idea. This place radiated evil, and despite his actions, the amurrun didn't want to be truly evil. Still, Anya seemed to think this was the best place for them.

His collar still hung around his neck, a cheap yet effective marking, declaring him a slave. He held onto the rope gladly here, in this place where people and souls were playthings for their owners. The Ebon Mausoleum was danger incarnate for someone like him, though Jakun found himself wondering what it would be like to learn here, to become one of the famed Blood Lords of Geb.

"Focus. We're here for gold, not for daydreaming."

Anya stood beside him, her eyes staring at the subdued cat.

"The sooner we find a buyer, the better," she continued.

"I have no idea where to go though…"

"Fake it until you make it. Eyes up Master Jakun, that rope means nothing without Amnor Sen here to back it up," the werewolf said, her hand raising the cat's chin.

Nodding, Jakun took a deep breath to fortify his courage. Almost immediately his nose was filled with the scent of dark magics, and he wrinkled his nose at the smell. But there was something else buried in there, a dry, woody scent.

The cat followed his nose curiously, soon finding the scent overpowering the ever-present necromancy. Turning a corner, Jakun gulped at the sight of two wights standing guard over a large ebon door.

"State your purpose slave," one hissed.

"Uh-"

Anya smacked the cat, Jakun yelping at the sudden pain.

"You do not speak," she snarled. "I would thank you to speak to the owner, not the slave," she added with a scowl at the wights.

"What is your purpose?" the left wight repeated sharply, a longsword appearing in its hand.

The stench of death struck them suddenly, the smell filling Jakun's nose until he was near choking. Anya shrugged it off, the phantom already undead herself.

"I seek to sell a scroll," she said, snatching the rolled sheet from Jakun.

"Death is the only payment here," the right wight sneered.

"Okay, very amusing you two," a woman's voice said.

Jakun spun around, seeking out the speaker. Sadira stepped out of the shadows, a small smile on her face.

"Jakun. I didn't expect to see you here. And is this your spirit? Anya, correct?"

"Yes. We ran into a bit of trouble," Anya said. "This dummy let the paladin steal his spellbook. Thanks to your book, he still has some spells, and we're trying to get outfitted for a chase."

Jakun steeled his face, trying to appear more mad than shocked. It was as good a story as any, he supposed.

"Indeed. This scroll you are offering to sell, it comes from my book? I will tell you now, I am not very giving with my spells. If that scroll is what I think it is, I will have to destroy it. It would mean the ruination of my business," Sadira frowned.

"If your business is aiding vampires caught by the sun-"

"That is part of it, yes," the elf said.

Jakun frowned, looking at the scroll in Anya's hand.

"I'll tell you what, you helped me. Let me help you. How much would it cost to be outfitted?" Sadira asked.

"I… honestly have no idea," Jakun said.

"How does thirty gold sound? That would be expensive for a scroll of that power level."

"I can offer thirty five," another voice said suddenly, a figure forming from a cloud of bats.

"No, you really cannot Gidane," Sidara denied, glaring at the vampire.

The man smoothed his black robes, a smirk on his face.

"Sidara, my dear, what is the loss of one scroll worth to you?"

"You know what it is worth you lecherous blight," the elf nearly snarled. "Jakun, I will personally take you and have you outfitted for your journey-"

"And I would have you outfitted with a purse of thirty silver extra for that scroll," Gidane smiled, his fangs gleaming in the light of the gems around them.

Jakun shivered, feeling tiny between the arguing necromancers.

'I told you this was a bad idea…'

'What are you talking about? They're driving the price up and we don't even have to do anything,' Anya sent back, a smile on her face.

"Fifty gold," Sidara said sharply. "I warn you, if you sell that spell to any but me, you will suffer for eternity."

'Oh, that was the spell on the spellbook,' Anya projected. 'Best not let her know we know.'

Shaking, Jakun took the scroll back from Anya, holding it out to Sidara.

"Fifty gold, right?" he asked.

"Sixty gold from me!" Gidane said loudly.

"Fifty gold," Sidara nodded, taking the scroll.

She reached into her robes, pulling out a small purse. Counting out fifty coins into another bag, she handed it over, smiling at Jakun.

"A wise decision. See to it that we do not have this conversation again. That spell is mine, and you are not to sell it to anyone."

The cat nodded quickly, tying the bag to the hem of his shirt. He hurried away, keeping his head down to avoid Gidane's death glare.

Once out of the Ebon Mausoleum, the cat let out a shaky breath, taking in the darkness of the night. Prime time for the city of undead, vampires and wraiths going about their business openly.

"Well… mission accomplished, I guess…" he yawned, the adrenaline fading from his body in waves.

"Not yet. Let's get shopping," Anya said, throwing the cat's arm around her shoulders.

"But I'm so tired…"

"So? Get this over with, we can start riding out to the forest," Anya pressed, nearly dragging the cat.

Whimpering quietly, Jakun straightened, before following the cat into the city to search for his supplies.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Well, that was a situation which could have easily turned out badly, but they aren't safe yet.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, IkeNeko said:

Damn! That was stressful! The nice lady necromancer is a true business woman 😂

*Bites my tongue*

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..