Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,437 Words
  • 1,221 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 32. Chapter 32

"So Jakun…"

The cat glanced up from his writing, a small frown on his face. Did Jeremy not understand he needed to translate the spell every time he wrote a scroll? Probably not; Jakun doubted the cleric could speak anything beyond Taldane and rather messy Kellish.

They sat on a bent tree, the inside of the druid's house a showcase for oddly shaped plants. Paper rested on a surprisingly solid mushroom, the cleric and the mage writing together in a botanist's dream house.

"Tell me, honestly, what do you think of our proposal?" Jeremy asked.

Jakun frowned slightly, looking down at his calligraphy.

"I… haven't thought about it," he admitted. "I figure if you two want me to do it, then I'm going to do it."

Jeremy shook his head sharply.

"Wrong answer kitty. We are not responsible for you, no matter how Amnor Sen likes to pretend otherwise. You decide if we have sex with you. And if you decide you don't want to, we will accept that."

"I don't think I want to. I appreciate you freeing me, but I can't pay you back with my body," Jakun frowned.

"Is that what you think?"

Jeremy sighed, shaking his head.

"Jakun, we're not looking to be paid back. Neither of us. What we did for you was because we don't like to see people bound to each other through slavery. You are free; you owe us nothing."

"I feel like I do though."

"Okay, fine. You brought us food. We're even, okay? Now, about having sex, that will never be about owing us. If you want to have sex, let me know. If it's not with us, I'm sure we can find someone who is willing to let you sleep with them."

Jakun scowled quietly, turning back to his scroll. He continued working, his mind distracted by the cleric. Sex… it had never really crossed his mind. Survival, sure, and food. But not sex.

"It's just something for you to think about," Jeremy added.

"I'm thinking about it," Jakun agreed. "I… don't actually know anything about it. I mean, I can assume the basics from what Anya has told me, but you and Amnor Sen are guys. It wouldn't work."

"Actually it works great. You just can't expect a baby the way we do it," Jeremy smirked.

"But then, why do it? Isn't a baby the entire point?"

"No, the point is fun. The baby can be an extra for a guy and a girl. Or you can adopt, sort of like how Amnor Sen and I adopted you. Though when it's put that way…"

The cleric shook his head, a frown on his face.

"Anyway, maybe it is best that you don't sleep with us. If you want to have sex with a girl, I'm sure we can find someone in a brothel to suit your tastes."

"But I don't want a baby," Jakun insisted.

"You are a baby," Jeremy chuckled. "I mean, you're young. Besides, there are ways to keep a girl from getting pregnant. Magic, for one. Necromancy tends to have a sterilizing effect on it's casters."

Jakun flinched, looking down at his lap.

"But not me, right?"

Jeremy shrugged.

"Maybe. I'm not sure how to check. I've never really had the need. It's not like I'm going to get pregnant."

"Not from a lack of trying," Amnor Sen said, stepping into the room.

Jakun's face burned, the cat focusing on his scroll as his tail flicked nervously.

"Are you done already?" Jeremy asked the elf.

"Yeah, I just need to cut the branches down to a usable size."

The paladin set four thick branches on the table, the mushroom wobbling slightly as the weight settled. He found his bag, pulling out a jar of wax and a knife.

"It shouldn't take too long to fix these up. I'll work on them, and by the time we reach Alkenstar, they should be ready to cut into your box Jakun."

The amurrun nodded his understanding.

"Alkenstar? Where is that?" Jeremy asked.

Jakun tuned them out, focusing on his vigil spell. By the time they got to wherever they were going, Jakun figured he'd have a small fortune in scrolls. Alkenstar, apparently, the magicless city, a technological wonder. He'd heard about it, a fortress in the Mana Wastes, part of Nex, yet not.

"If we're going to Alkenstar, do you think they'll let us buy one of their weapons?" he asked curiously.

"I doubt we'll have the money for that," Amnor Sen denied. "But maybe I can pick up a new smithing method from them."

"Whoa, hold up. Just how long do you think we'll be staying there?" Jeremy demanded. "We have a war to get to."

"War?!"

Jakun flinched visibly.

"Um… maybe I should stay in Graydirge…"

"Nonsense. You won't be coming that far north with us," Amnor Sen said. "At best, you can stick with us to Osirion. I'm sure there are plenty of temples there that would take you in. Unless you wanted to fight demons with us. Undead fighting demons would still be good."

The elf frowned, looking at Jakun.

"What do you want to do though? Aside from stopping Loran, eventually."

Jakun echoed his frown. He hadn't really thought that far. If he became truly undead, he'd be immortal. What did he want to do with his ages of undeath?

"I can't be the only slave who was just meant as a sacrifice. It's not right, is it? For someone to kill someone else for power, I mean."

Amnor Sen and Jeremy both shook their heads.

"So you're going on your own crusade to free slaves? Sounds fun. I kinda wish I was going with you," Jeremy chuckled, reaching over to ruffle Jakun's hair. "Well, we're still about… three months from Abasalom? I think? We still have plenty of time to help each other out."

"I can't speak to Absalom, but you're a day from the edge of the woods, and another day to Graydirge," Hami said, stepping into the cabin.

The druid wiped her face tiredly, before folding a cloth and setting it to the side.

"You are welcome to stay the night here, if you wish. I can take you through the woods tomorrow; there's a nice shortcut I like to use on the rare occasion I need to go to town. It would probably cut about a day off your journey. Oh, and I have a bit of gold, if you're willing to sell a scroll or two."

"Do you happen to like alcohol?" Jeremy questioned.

"In moderation. Not enough to need a spell for it."

Jakun held out one of his scrolls, a prestidigitation, hoping the druid would appreciate the spell.

"You have good handwriting," Hami smiled. "I'm not sure what this says though. I can't read… Draconic, right?"

"Yeah," Jakun replied, his ears folding slightly. "Um… Alkenstar doesn't have magic. Would scrolls work there?"

"It doesn't?" Jeremy frowned in alarm.

"No, it doesn't. I would caution against using magic in the Wastes. From what I've heard, any magic you use will be warped, if it works at all," Hami said. "I believe this extends to scrolls and wands."

"You mean… I won't have any way to make alcohol?!" Jeremy yelped.

Jakun shook his head slowly, a motion copied by Amnor Sen.

"I still have… fifteen gold, I think. That should be enough to get a room in Graydirge, and we can sell our scrolls there, right?" he asked, looking at Amnor Sen.

"Yes, but I warn you, Graydirge is not a place for those afraid of death," Hami said.

"I think we'll be okay," Jeremy shrugged. "We've survived so far. I just need to make sure I buy a bunch of wine. Hey Jakun, do you think you could do that thread trick with my bag too?"

Jakun nodded, pulling the cleric's bag toward him. He began pulling out items, a dagger, a corked bottle, a pair of long underwear.

"Whoa, where did that come from?"

Jeremy snatched the bottle from the amurrun, uncorking it with a pop. Taking a swig, the cleric let out a sigh.

"Old Galt. What was it… 4601? Wasted…"

He stuffed the cork back inside, shaking his head.

Jakun shrugged, looking for a stitch.

"I have some thread if you need it," Hami said, handing a needle and white thread to the cat.

"Thank you."

He began working on the bag, carefully stitching a rune into it. Jakun knew he would be up most of the night for this, but he'd get plenty of rest the next evening.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So, my posting schedule seems to have crossed wires and posted twice this morning. I apologize for any problems this causes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

So, my posting schedule seems to have crossed wires and posted twice this morning. I apologize for any problems this causes.

I wondered if you would notice. I looked at the chapter numbers first before reading..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, IkeNeko said:

Ok,  so I’m guessing being dead... I mean undead... also would have a sterilizing effect? 

Yep! Of course, if you end up having sex BEFORE being truly undead, some of the nasty little buggers might still have a chance.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

Yep! Of course, if you end up having sex BEFORE being truly undead, some of the nasty little buggers might still have a chance.

Ohhh... Are we... foreshadowing? By any chance? 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..