Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,006 Words
  • 501 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 49. Chapter 49

Amnor Sen slipped another pair of rings together, listening to the heavy strikes from the forge. He was almost done with Jeremy's shirt. His own shirt wasn't as bad, he would be able to fix it in a few hours.

The door to the shop opened, Jakun stumbling into the building, followed by Jeremy.

"A boy becomes a man!" the cleric cheered, Jakun nearly stumbling before him.

"Welcome back," Amnor Sen said drily. "Don't touch anything."

"Oh come on you uptight buzzkill… hey, I need like… forty gold. Jakun and I found a really good bow for him…" the human slurred.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to shop when drunk?"

"No no… it's all great… he took ten gold off as long as we shoot Ivris with it," Jeremy grinned.

"Gods have mercy… Jeremy, why do you think he took ten gold off? It's probably a piece of crap he is trying to pawn off on us."

"No… Jakun looked at it and he said it looks good."

The catfolk nodded slowly, swaying heavily.

"Well by all means, trust the word of a catfolk who can barely stand on his own feet. How much gold did you spend on drinks?"

"Two… maybe three, max. He's a real lightweight," Jeremy chuckled, holding the cat up. "But guess what? He did it. Our little Jakun is no longer a virgin!"

"Good," Amnor Sen grunted. "Congratulations. When you aren't drunk, perhaps you two can help me with these links so we can get out of here. The break ins have stopped."

"See Jakun? You did good!" Jeremy grinned, clapping the amurrun's back.

"Yes. Very good. Look, I've already picked up a map of the Wastes and southern Nex. We're four days from Ecanus, and another five from Quantium. We'll winter there and get on a boat to Absalom. In four months, we should be standing in the center of the world, preparing for the next leg of the journey to Mendev."

"What about Loran?"

Amnor Sen frowned, looking at Jakun.

"He'll get what's coming to him."

"No, he won't. You say you'll help me kill him. What are you actually doing to help?"

The elf blinked in shock.

"Oh gods, you're an angry drunk…"

"Yes! I'm pissed off! You said you would help me kill him and avenge my mother! But we are travelling further north, and there is no sign that we will ever return! He deserves to die for what he has done. Or have you lost your conviction?"

Amnor Sen sighed heavily, dropping the chain shirt.

"Jakun, you have to understand. My religion does not kill. We strive to avoid it where possible. As a paladin, and an exemplar of Shelyn, I can't go around killing people for making a mistake."

"A mistake?! He forced me to slit my own mother's throat! That was not a fucking mistake!" the amurrun snarled.

Amnor Sen flinched, Jeremy wincing near the forge's door. Even Methusda had stopped her hammering, staring at Jakun in horror.

"Kitten, we are on our way to greater things-"

"Good for you. I don't need your so-called greater things! You have your path, I have mine," Jakun snapped.

"Your path will kill you. It's eating you inside, and it's good that you are getting this out, but Jakun, this anger is not healthy," Amnor Sen tried again, trying to soothe the cat.

"I'm going to Nex. No further. I'll learn what I need there. And then you will never have to deal with me again."

The catfolk glared at the elf, grabbing his spellbook. He turned toward the door, Jeremy stepping aside in stunned silence.

"Thank you for buying me. I appreciate having been your slave," Jakun snarled, before storming out of the shop.

Amnor Sen stared after him, Jeremy letting out a stunned whistle.

"I don't think I've ever heard him say that much at once. This is good… right?"

"Go after him. Make sure he doesn't get into trouble," Amnor Sen growled, turning back to his shirt.

Nodding, Jeremy paused slightly.

"He's right, you know. We both agreed that Loran needed to die. To go back on your word-"

"I agreed to nothing. You are asking for me to take a human life Jeremy."

"Not human. By the time we return, he'll be undead. A lich. Do you want that on your conscience, knowing you could have stopped him before he gained that power?"

Leaving that hanging, the human stepped out of the forge, far too sober for everything that was happening.

Amnor Sen let out a frustrated growl, working on the rings again. A near mindless task, work that allowed him to think.

"You are a paladin that has never killed?" Methusda asked suddenly, setting her hammer down.

"I've killed. Animals, and undead. And I fought a dryad."

"But no humans. I think there are many others who would be surprised by that. You are an elf bred for war, by all appearances. And I don't know what a lich is, but it doesn't sound like something you should let live. Especially if it has forced others to murder. You can talk religion all you want, protest that you aren't allowed to kill. I've known another paladin. You are supposed to defend the weak and helpless. If that man becomes something dangerous, how is that protecting anyone? It sounds like you are consigning others to kill and die in your stead."

The gnome frowned, looking up at the elf.

"Now, I'm not the religious type, but I know about sacrifice. And it sounds like you might need to make one, if you wish to better the world. You may have lofty dreams of heading north, of fighting demons or forging an amazing weapon. But you will live with the knowledge that you fled to pursue your dreams, and left your home a mess."

Turning to resume her work, the gnome threw in a parting shot.

"Clean your forge before you move to your next project."

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Both the gnome and Jakun got on Anmor's case and rightfully so. Between the sex and drink Jakun got bold and mouthy. Go kitty go.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Both the gnome and Jakun got on Anmor's case and rightfully so. Between the sex and drink Jakun got bold and mouthy. Go kitty go.

Sometimes things need to be said. And sometimes a bit of liquid courage helps get the words out. Cleaning up afterward is often a pain though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, Amnor Sen is told difficult truths by a woman yet again (kinda like my Thorn).
Will they get through to him? 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..