Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,005 Words
  • 865 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 60. Chapter 60

"It is clear you have all but mastered the creation inherent in conjuration," Eshe Foxcaller said in approval, looking at Mythara. "Your companion, however, appears focused elsewhere. I can feel the necromancy in this room. Perhaps he would be better suited elsewhere?"

Jakun's ears folded, the catfolk wincing under the accusation.

"It is my experience that a wide variety of skills is useful in life. Should we deny him a skill merely because he dabbles in another? Perhaps he will combine the two and come up with something new. I have faith in him," Mythara said, looking at the amurrun. "Sometimes, that's all you need."

"Nonetheless, you both pass this week. We'll see what you add to the room next," Eshe said.

"Is that the only possibility for remaining? I would have hidden the bed if it was," Mythara smirked.

Jakun smiled wanly, his fur puffing in quiet alarm.

"Oh no, you just have to show improvement in one of the subclasses of conjuring. Like I said, you are good at creation. Maybe try summoning or teleportation?"

The woman turned, stepping out of the room, and Mythara let out a sigh.

"So. The necromancy?" he asked, looking at the catfolk. "I'm not saying yea or nay on it. It's merely a tool. But I am curious."

"I was taught necromancy first. Summoning the undead is natural for me. I… want to use my magic to kill my master," Jakun said quietly.

'Way to go,' Anya grunted, her voice indignant in his mind. 'While you're giving him our secrets-'

'Shut up. It's no worse than telling Amnor Sen and Jeremy.'

"I hope I'm not the master you're talking about," Mythara chuckled quietly. "If you have a problem with me, tell me. And if you want to look more into necromancy, Scrivenbough is the place for you. Assuming you have a secret you're willing to part with. And you don't mind dealing with a demon."

Jakun blinked in surprise.

"How-"

"I've been there. It's why I was heading to Geb. Nasty place really, full of snakes and thieves. No… that's reflecting poorly on the snakes... Someone told me a blue fox had been seen to the south. Turns out it was just someone's familiar," Mythara shrugged.

"Oh. Well… it wouldn't hurt to seek out some extra knowledge."

"Actually, it could hurt a lot. Something there tried to pull a memory out of my mind. Do not trust anyone there."

The man shrugged.

"But I will show you the way there, if you want. From what I saw, it's more about knowledge, but considering how necromancy is viewed, a demon might be just what you need."

"Forbidden knowledge… do you think they would know anything about lich rituals? My old master was… going to use me in one, I think."

"Mmm. There's no shame in seeking immortality. But when you deliberately use someone against their will, that's fucked up," Mythara said.

"I feel the same way," Jakun said cautiously.

"Tell me Jakun. Should you get the lich ritual, how would you use it to stop a lich? I could tell you how to kill a lich. And it has nothing to do with making one."

The amurrun sucked in a breath, panicking slightly. Just like that, he was being called out.

"You want to be a lich to fight your master. Immortality isn't worth one man Jakun. It is a curse, not a blessing. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. But there is a good chance you will regret your decision someday."

Mythara sighed quietly, the man looking at Jakun.

"You're far too young to be scared of death. This won't grant you power. At best, it will give a second chance at a task. At worst, you will be hunted down with extreme prejudice."

"You seem to know a lot about it," Jakun frowned.

"I do. Killed a lich once. She was experimenting on a village, seeing how long a plague took to destroy the place."

"I promise I will never do anything like that," Jakun said.

"Good. But you say the ritual takes a sacrifice. Who would you use?" Mythara asked.

"A former life. The soul is there. I'm trying to find a work around to using an innocent life."

Anya growled in his head, a warning, which the amurrun proceeded to ignore.

"It most likely won't work. But perhaps I can be of assistance. You have to be absolutely certain you want this though. It is dark magic you are playing with, and prolonged existence can drive people insane," Mythara warned.

"Anya and I are planning to trap my soul in a box. If… if I ever do want to end my existence, it should be as easy as destroying the box, right?"

"Theoretically, yes. But you can't rely on magic being that simple," Mythara frowned. "If you go this route, I have a request. Tell one person you trust, and give them your phylactery. They will be in charge of keeping you in line. And they need to be stronger than you, able to defeat you."

"Amnor Sen."

Jakun frowned at the man.

"He would destroy it if I told him what it was," the cat said.

"Then explain it to him. If this is for your personal gain, that is wrong. But if it is a tool to better the world, I think your friend might just surprise you," Mythara said. "At any rate, if you wish to go to the fortress, then we should do it soon. It is not a place to be at night."

Jakun nodded slowly, reaching for his workbook. Holstering it on his hip, the amurrun grabbed his cloak.

"I'm ready when you are," he murmured, wondering how the day had ended up going in this direction.

"Remember, they won't be as friendly about any slip ups you make," Mythara said, guiding the amurrun out of the room. "You best think before every word. And above all else, guard your mind."

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, IkeNeko said:

Another twist. I like Jakun going against Anya more and more for some reason. ❤️

It's nice to see characters developing their own agency ❤️

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..