Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,495 Words
  • 570 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 31. Chapter 31

Two days in, Amnor Sen recalled what the druid had said. A day's flight. He was starting to wonder about Lynaq's sanity. At least they were still heading in the right direction to make it out of the woods.

"I don't think we're going to get your wood, kitten," the elf sighed as they walked, sparing the mounts.

Jakun shrugged, the cat's tail flicking. Amnor Sen wasn't sure if that was resignation or frustration.

"Well, we did find that one tree," Jeremy said. "Maybe we can find another one?"

"Yeah, and anger another dryad," Amnor Sen muttered.

"Best not to anger dryads. They are vengeful, especially if you get too close to their tree."

A woman walked out of a tree, Jeremy letting out a yelp as he unsheathed his rapier.

"Peace cleric. I mean you no harm. My brother mentioned you'd be coming this way, and Lynaq being who he is, I assumed you'd be confused."

"He told you? How? We left before he could send anything."

Jeremy shook his head with a sigh.

"Come on Amnor Sen. Obviously he was a mage. And so is…?"

The man glanced at the woman inquiringly.

"Hami. Druid of the northern Axan Wood. Lynaq and I try to keep the undead from taking over the woods. He's just a little scatterbrained. Animals can do that to you."

"Animals? But he was dealing with a dryad-" Amnor Sen frowned.

"Yeah," Hami sighed. "He wouldn't accept my help with her. Said my presence would throw off the hunting instincts of the animals nearby. Honestly, I've always preferred plants. Keeping them alive is a more delicate task."

The paladin blinked, letting out the quietest sigh.

"I don't… I don't get any of this."

"That's okay," Jeremy chuckled, rubbing Amnor Sen's head. "I'll protect you from the big bad druids."

"And I'll protect you from a dry mug," Amnor Sen retorted.

Jeremy groaned, shaking his head.

"Anyway, Lynaq said we should talk to you about a grove?" he asked, looking at Hami.

"Oh yes, you could help me with some trimming. My grove is the only healthy grove left in the wood. I'm trying to reintroduce life," Hami said. "I'll let you keep any clippings you want."

"Great. You cut wood, Jakun and I will write spells," Jeremy smiled. "If nothing else, we can sell them in Graydirge."

"You do not want to linger," Hani said. "There is a pack of werewolves in the wood. We've been in contact, and much of the pack has gone rogue. When you leave, I can grant some minor protection against them, but it won't last longer than a few hours."

She led them off the road, a staff appearing in her hand to gently brush a hissing snake out of her path.

"We will gladly accept any aid you offer," Jeremy said as they followed the druid.

It wasn't long before they found themselves in a clearing, a surprisingly well built cabin in the middle. Surrounding the clearing were ten living trees, appearing to thrive under the druid's care.

"Welcome to my home. It is made of the old to provide space for the new," Hami smiled. "Jakun, Jeremy, you may go inside to work your scrolls. Amnor Sen, allow me to get my ax, and I will meet you by the white oak."

The paladin nodded, staring at the trees. Their wood called to him, begging the elf to use them for masterful pieces of art.

Pulling his hatchet from his bag, the elf handed his bag to Jeremy.

"Don't use all your energy," he said quietly, before hurrying toward the oak.

Hami joined Amnor Sen a minute later, a pair of saws in her own hand. She handed one to the elf, before looking the tree over.

"There is some rot starting on the lower branches of her. We're going to cut the affected branches."

She patted the tree gently, almost reluctantly.

"Sorry girl, I know this is going to hurt."

Moving to the branch, Hami pointed out the rot, just a small piece about six inches down.

"We'll cut here, to make sure we get it all. You can have the wood if you'd like, though I have a few branches from about a year ago that you're welcome to go through when we are done."

Amnor Sen nodded, grabbing the branch. He began sawing as Hami moved to the other branch, already thinking about how he would remove the rot.

"I have a question for you," Hami said suddenly. "You radiate a sense of good, with a trusting feel. Yet your companion is undeniably evil. What brought the two of you together?"

"Jakun? He was a slave we rescued from a necromancer. I am hoping he can be redeemed. His evil is not his fault," Amnor Sen said firmly.

Hami nodded, her arms working at the branch.

"I must ask. Does Jakun want to be redeemed? Maybe it wasn't his fault, and maybe he repents. But it is easier to stay with what you know oft time."

"Nothing worth doing is ever easy."

"Really? Is dressing for the day not worth doing? How about taking a drink?"

Amnor Sen was brought up short.

"I mean… yes, those are necessary tasks, and I suppose that makes them worth doing… I was referring to the bigger picture though."

"Okay, let's take a look at your bigger picture. Everyone is good, no one does anything evil, and the darker gods are forgotten. I believe that is what you wish for, correct?"

Amnor Sen nodded warily, certain Hami was about to twist his words against him.

"In your picture, Geb is no longer a nation, everyone wiped out, undead and living. This is an evil nation, who's to say who is truly good among us? You? Even elves are fallible, as much as they pretend otherwise. Your good would wipe out the dead and undead. This forest would be destroyed, my brother and I with it. We are too set in our ways, and no one could accuse us of being good people."

Amnor Sen had paused his cutting, listening to the druid in quiet alarm.

"Now, let's focus on your friend, instead of your bigger picture. A catfolk made evil for something that wasn't his fault. Ambiguous to say the least. But let's say he becomes this shining paragon of what is right, and continues your crusade against evil. How much do you think he could accomplish, just one cat?"

"Admittedly not a lot. But his soul would be saved from damnation," Amnor Sen protested.

"Good. You saved one soul, I'm impressed," Hami smiled, not unkindly. "Now let me tell you what happens if you let Jakun choose his own path. We can divine this if you desire, with his permission of course, but I think it's pretty clear.

"Jakun remains evil, his soul is lost. For those already blessed by the good gods, he is seen as a cautionary tale, the catfolk who is evil. They decide to take up arms if they haven't already, to ensure another soul isn't lost. Every person he passes, he leaves an effect on. Most would just shrug him off. But there are those who say, what evil is wandering our streets, we must stop it! And like that, Jakun has saved souls of his own, through what some might call a sacrifice.

"This, of course, doesn't account for random acts of good, of kindness. Helping a cat out of a tree because he feels a kinship for it. Removing a plague from a village so he may study it in privacy. I do not know him as you do, so I am clearly fishing for things here, but I think I have made my point."

Amnor Sen nodded, sighing.

"And if he kills people to fulfill his goals? Is his comfort more important than a man's life?" he asked.

"Depends on the man. I assume he wants to kill his master; most slaves have that thought. Is his comfort worth more than his master's murder? Or rather, in your view of the world, would the murder of his master be justified? And do you even know what your friend desires? Maybe he doesn't actually want to kill. Maybe he seeks knowledge, a slave given freedom to pursue what I assume is the arcane."

"I… never asked him what he wanted," the elf admitted quietly.

He lifted his saw again, picking up where he had left off. With a loud snap, Hami's branch fell, the druid stooping to pick it up.

"I'm glad to have opened your eyes," she said with a smile. "Personally, I do not care for the machinations of good or evil. Never have. But if I can save one individual from a crusade, I will be happy. Go ahead and finish that branch, and then join me on the ebony tree. Your kitten's wood will be a sight to behold."

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Hami has a different perspective on good and evil, but in her world view how many evil people do you allow to exist as examples? There is such a thing as balance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The first question should be if the cat us already undead what can even be done? 
Also somehow I believe becoming good doesn’t really work while being forced? 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, IkeNeko said:

The first question should be if the cat us already undead what can even be done? 
Also somehow I believe becoming good doesn’t really work while being forced? 

Ah, but you see, the cat is only MOSTLY undead. A ritualistic cleansing by a competent cleric (sorry Jeremy) could see him right as rain, most likely.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..