Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,019 Words
  • 927 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 94. Chapter 94

“You stayed down here all night.”

It was not an accusation, it was a fact. Jakun could see the effects of the alcohol on the cleric, Jeremy nearly slumped over the table, hand shakily reaching for his mug for another drink, a way to kill the pain flowing through him. The catfolk didn’t have that luxury.

His spellbook thumped on the table, Jeremy nearly spilling his ale at the noise. The cleric looked up blearily as Jakun opened the book, pointing to the spell he had spent nearly all his money on.

“This is how I’m getting across,” the amurrun announced. “If I were you, I’d stay on this side. It would be safer for me to go alone than for you to fight this drunk.”

“I’ve fought drunker,” Jeremy slurred, blinking slowly. “I got this kitten.”

“I think the point here is, just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”

“It’s far too late for that. The dice are cast, make your bet.”

Jakun frowned, shaking his head slowly.

“Look, I could probably go in there, scout a bit, and then return,” the lich said. “I mean, all it would take is finding someone nice enough to take my head.”

“I doubt they’d let you in a second time. That would be cheating,” Jeremy muttered. “Can you put out the candle please? I need some sleep.”

“Nope. That candle is the sun. And if you insist on joining me, we’re leaving now. I’m as prepared as I’m going to be,” Jakun said, sending his book through a portal.

“Give me another minute…”

The cleric nearly fell back as he drained his mug, his body stumbling as he proceeded to stand up. Taking a breath, he murmured a brief prayer, his movement sharpening ever so slightly. Clapping Jakun’s back, Jeremy nodded toward the door, leaving a handful of gold on the table. Jakun wasn’t sure it was enough to pay his tab, but then, that wasn’t really the lich’s problem.

“Amnor Sen’s keeping my phylactery. If what you say is true, we have one shot at this,” the catfolk said.

“Urgh… you don’t need to yell,” Jeremy grumbled as they walked through the crowded streets.

“That’s not me, that’s the alcohol,” Jakun said, directing Jeremy down an alley. “Don’t look now, but there are people following us.”

Jeremy let out an incredulous laugh.

“Well tell them to stop. Big scary amurrun like you would easily kick their asses. Or maybe they’re following us to the Ascendant Court to watch us fall to our deaths.”

They turned several sharp corners, Jakun shaking off their pursuers despite Jeremy’s loud grumbling about the sun. The catfolk directed the human through a narrow gap, the wide chasm between them and the centre district of the city opening before them. Nearby, they could see the ruins of Aroden’s Crossing, the bridge having been destroyed in a quake Jakun had read about while searching for information on the trial. Supposedly most of the people in the Ascendant Court refused to rebuild until given a sign by the god it was named for, but Aroden had vanished years before, some saying he had even died.

A crowd of people emerged from the streets around them, Jakun’s ears folding as he realized they were surrounded. If they tried to attack-

Jeremy let out a sudden laugh, motioning toward a man holding a marigold.

“See? I told you it was fine. They’re just here to watch us,” he said. “An offering to the dead, that’s what that is, right?”

The man nodded mutely, extending the flower to Jakun. The lich took it carefully, making sure he didn’t touch the human by accident. It was… an interesting gesture.

“Okay Jeremy. You go first. If you fail, I’ll catch you,” Jakun said, motioning toward the chasm’s edge.

The cleric sauntered toward the gap, swaying as he gazed into the depths. Murmuring a silent prayer to his god, Jeremy turned around, a pained look on his face as he stared at the gathered spectators. Lurching forward suddenly, the cleric let out a loud belch, a wind kicking up and propelling him over the gap.

Jakun stared in horror as the cleric began to fall, the wind dying out slowly. Jeremy slammed into the ground on the far side, standing up with obvious pain as the crowd laughed and cheered.

Taking a deep breath, Jakun looked into the drop, his old fears threatening to overtake him. But no, he would not let them have him, not now.

“Relgimi, wiap ve erekess wer svant,” he said confidently, feeling his feet leave the ground as a pair of wind elementals lifted him.

It took a moment for him to find his balance, but the catfolk realized it was just like walking. If he didn’t look down, he would be okay. And as long as he hurried. His steps took on an urgency as he moved over the chasm, his mind working at the spell, keeping the strands of magic binding the spirits to his feet, thanking them profusely, promising them the reward of a shrine at his fortress for their help. He would deliver, as long as he could make it over this chasm.

And suddenly his feet were on solid ground again, the lich nearly collapsing in relief as his summons vanished.

“Twinkle toes Jakun!” Jeremy laughed, pulling the catfolk away from the edge as a pair of grey cloaked figures approached from the Ascendant Court. “You just walked right across!”

Jakun shook the last vestiges of the magic off as the figures approached. They looked surprised to see him.

“Greetings, and congratulations on completing the first task of your trials,” the one on the left spoke, her melodic voice nearly flowing over the air. “We bid you come rest before your next trial. There are places of worship here as well as a place you may pay your respects to the fallen, should you so desire.”

Her companion motioned with his hand, guiding the two into the Ascendant Court silently, Jeremy and Jakun following the somber pair to their rest.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, IkeNeko said:

That seemed way too easy 🤣

It's just a bottomless chasm, what is there to be afraid of? :D

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..