Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,005 Words
  • 888 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 92. Chapter 92

Jakun stared over the chasm, eyeing the distance. It had to be a good hundred, two hundred feet across, wrapping around an island in the center, the lich’s goal. Teleporting across would be so easy, just the matter of a spell, but it would fail. Others had tried, and had ended up falling into the void only halfway across. Jakun wasn’t sure what it was about the chasm that stopped extra-dimensional travel, but it negated nearly all of his spells. He needed to find another way.

People had tried everything. Shooting ropes across with an arrow to walk across, flying with spells… someone had even tried jumping the gap, plummeting into the chasm only to be seen climbing the other side almost a day later. How that worked was beyond the lich’s comprehension. He really didn’t know enough about this gap to start theorizing. There were four bridges at various spots, but he wasn’t supposed to use those. Apparently they would invalidate the attempt, though he didn’t understand why.

“You gonna cross it?”

The catfolk looked back at a woman, a street urchin in ragged clothing and sporting a broken grin.

“The thought had crossed my mind,” Jakun shrugged.

“The last person to try used magic. They say Aroden himself kicked her across. But Aroden is dead.”

Jakun shrugged at the news. He doubted a god could really die. Though he didn’t really know who Aroden was, he was pretty sure the deity was just taking a break from the world or something.

“How would you get across?” he asked.

“Me? Oh, I’d never try… but if I did, I’d fly like a bird, free on the wind. If I had magic of course. Maybe have a wizard turn you into a bird?”

Jakun nodded thoughtfully. He had turned Ivris into a rabbit. Why couldn’t he turn himself into a bird? Of course, he’d need a way to turn back after. And as written, the polymorph spell he had wouldn’t really help him.

“Well, I guess I’m off to the markets. I don’t suppose you know where a magic shop is, do you?”

“There are several in the market district. I can show you,” the woman grinned.

Nodding, the lich followed her away from the city center, into a maze of paved streets filled with people going about their business. Stopping in front of a closed door, the woman pointed to the various shops around them.

“There are weapons there, some armour, random magic that people sell in that shop… that place has magic quills that are supposed to write for you…”

“Do any of them sell scrolls?”

She shrugged.

“I don’t know, you’d have to ask around.”

Jakun stuck his hand into his bag, calling a handful of gold to the surface of the space within. He handed the gold to the woman, her eyes bulging out of her head at the sight of the coins.

“Thank you sir!”

The lich nodded, turning to look at the stores. He wasn’t sure which one would have the scroll he needed, if any would. Making his way toward the magical bookstore, Jakun stepped inside the dimly lit shop, a halfling standing up with a quiet sigh as he entered.

Putting a book down, the halfling approached him with a halfhearted smile.

“Good morning. How can I help you?”

“I’m looking for a polymorph spell.”

“We don’t have anything that powerful here,” the halfling said quickly.

“Well what kind of spells do you have then?”

“Mainly stuff for apprentices. Nothing offensive though, most of them are abjurations.”

Jakun shook his head silently. No abjuration would help him cross the gorge. He needed something else.

“I don’t suppose you know where I could find a polymorph spell, or a flight spell?”

“A flight spell? Give me a moment.”

The halfling vanished into the back of the store, a muffled curse followed by the sound of moving boxes. He returned a minute later, carefully holding a scroll in his hand.

“The person who sold this to me mentioned it was unusual,” the halfling said. “I don’t know any more than that; I’m not a wizard. It is four hundred gold.”

Jakun let out a quiet sigh, sticking his hand into his bag. He mentally called up platinum coins, the coins running through his fingers as he pulled out a handful. Ten coins… twenty coins… thirty…

He set them on the counter before fishing out what was left of the gold. This spell was going to leave him broke, but he didn’t really care. If it worked and he got into the Cathedral on the island, Jakun wouldn’t have to worry about money.

Three hundred ninety eight… three hundred ninety nine… and he had to dig for silver, surprised that there were silver coins in the bag. Apparently Sadira hadn’t minded what Loran referred to as the silver disgrace. Nobility used gold or nothing, at least in the necromancer’s mind. It was a stupid thought, one that had no place in reality, and Jakun was grateful Sadira hadn’t held to it.

“There,” he said, sliding several stacks of coins over to the halfling.

“Nice doing business with you,” the halfling smiled, handing him the scroll.

Jakun nodded, opening the scroll. His eyes scanned the strange lettering, frowning as he realized there was no way he could work the spell out on his own. But Jeremy had a spell he was using to read the language here… maybe he’d cast it on Jakun so the lich could transcribe the spell. At least the scroll felt somewhat powerful, the magic thumping within the parchment like a heartbeat. He may have been screwed over by the halfling, but until he actually read the scroll and worked out what was on it, Jakun wouldn’t know it.

“Thank you for your help,” he said, rolling the scroll back up.

If nothing else, he could return and teach the halfling not to cheat people out of their money. If the scroll was a dud.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, IkeNeko said:

I thought they said flying wouldn’t work? 

Eh, all they really know is that everything had been tried. Whether or not it worked remains to be seen, but the chasm itself is not the true trial, it's just the first of many steps.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..