Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,035 Words
  • 937 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 66. Chapter 66

The amurrun stood in a circle, a ritual book open before him, showing the words of a modified protection spell. Mythara had set up one of their rooms with a ritual chamber, strange blue candles and chalk lining much of the floor in the shape of a kite shield.

“Arithmancy is one of the more arduous studies of magic,” the dragon said, standing outside the door. “It is exacting, but when done properly, it allows for a magnified flow of energy. What I have done is broken the spell down into a mathematical equation, making the outcome more certain. The components of the spell are set to mimic the leylines generally associated with abjuration magic. It will enhance the spell as you infuse it into the phylactery, the equation directing the magic while allowing you a little leeway.”

“And why can’t Anya help with this?”

“Because her energy could throw the equation off.”

Jakun frowned as he mouthed the words in the book. Supposedly this was an easy spell to cast for those who had memorised the formula. But Mythara had made it into a ritual form to make a point. The catfolk wasn’t sure he understood what that point was exactly. Reading through it, Jakun had to admit it didn’t seem too difficult of a spell. It was just extended.

“Mrith sia vers, nomeno drid ui troth de malsvir. Mrith sia vers, nomeno drid ui troth de bensvelk. Mrith sia vers, nomeno drid ui troth de rygat. Mrith sia vers, nomeno drid ui troth de ymmute.”

With every sentence, the catfolk felt his energy leaving him, stronger than a normal spell, nearly driving him to his knees as he was drained. As he finished the intonation, the box in the middle of the other circle glowed a deep blue, light shining from it briefly. The light faded away, the candles snuffing out as though the energy in their flames had been sucked away. As the room darkened and the ritual completed, Anya stepped out of Jakun, helping the catfolk to his feet.

“Easy,” Mythara warned, stepping into the room.

He conjured a waterskin, handing it to the amurrun, who drank deeply, greedily.

“It’s still a heavy toll to the caster if you aren’t familiar with the magic involved. This is like another muscle for you to train. You just cast four spells in the guise of one, and the energy had to come from somewhere. Your lich ritual will follow the same process, just on a larger scale,” Mythara added. “Practice controlling the energy. I will provide mine once you are adept at controlling your own. Adding Anya’s will be simple enough after that.”

Jakun nodded tiredly, the amurrun heading over to his box. He picked it up, feeling a warm energy pulsing through the carved wood, the eyes of the cat face on the lid glowing with sapphire gems Mythara had provided. They mimicked Aofe’s eyes almost perfectly, a deep blue that shone when light struck them. He had promised to pay the dragon man back, but Mythara brushed him off, talking about not needing money. From what the amurrun had seen, the dragon was completely self sufficient, creating anything he needed in an instant. It was an amazing talent, and Jakun had no idea how he had ever mastered that, let alone teleportation, arithmancy, and transmutation. The catfolk was scared to ask just how old the dragon was.

Assuming Mythara even was a dragon. He still looked like a normal human, though of Avistan descent rather than Garundi.

“Mythara, how would you kill a dragon?”

Jakun paled as the words left Anya’s mouth.

“She didn’t mean that!”

Mythara let out a loud laugh, shaking his head.

“It’s fine,” he said. “From what I’ve heard, you two have done well. But raveners are a little different than living dragons. They don’t have a specific weak spot to target. Even blinding one would be of little use, merely adding insult to injury. You need to damage it enough that it cannot heal, and this is best done away from living creatures. Every death would only increase a ravener’s power. It is why he was unstoppable in Mechitar. Positive energy, like that from your cleric, would damage him quite a bit, but I understand that you yourself do not have that luxury.”

Jakun shook his head, listening attentively. He had never thought of using positive energy, but it made sense. It was a painful weapon, and might actually distract Ivris from casting his spells. If he could find a weapon that utilised positive energy, it would be a great weapon against the undead dragon.

“You have thrown him off balance twice. I can assure you the third time will be nigh impossible. This time, you will need something that can overpower his defenses in one strike. Something like a fireball, but intensified. The clerics of Mechitar seemed to use one to near devastating effect, and by all accounts it was only the sheer amount of carnage he caused that kept the ravener in one piece. Once that was gone, he was vulnerable. Mechitar was sadly the closest he likely has been to death.”

“So I can’t destroy him?”

“I didn’t say that,” Mythara corrected. “I just said it would be nearly impossible. There is always a way. He fights with ice. It is what he knows, what he is familiar with. If you outfitted yourself properly with flaming weapons, you just might be able to outlast him in a fight. I wouldn’t count on that though. He is old, and age can bring wisdom with it. And an overpowering mind. Psychic attacks would have little effect.”

The man grinned suddenly.

“There is one thing you could try. Where I’m from, mages have a nasty habit of turning people into toads. If you could pull it off, and turn the ravener into something small, you could just run him through with a blade. Or crush his head with a hammer.”

Jakun shook his head in disbelief.

“I don’t have any spells like that…”

“Then perhaps it’s time I taught you a little transmutation magic,” Mythara smiled, pulling a large book out of another portal.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, IkeNeko said:

Who better to know how to kill a dragon than a dragon 🤣

The biggest difference here being that Ivris is already dead. He's basically a dragon lich.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

The biggest difference here being that Ivris is already dead. He's basically a dragon lich.

I wanna say could be worse... but could it really? 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Just now, IkeNeko said:

I wanna say could be worse... but could it really? 😂

But what about second Ravener?

  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..