Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,036 Words
  • 483 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 50. Chapter 50

An arrow sped at a wall, completely missing the target and shattering on impact. Jakun winced as the bowstring nearly tore through his arm again, lowering the bow.

"That was pretty bad… are you scared of the bow?"

Wil shook his head with a grunt, the dwarf stepping into the store. He returned with a leather bracer, handing it to the catfolk.

"Here, put this over your left arm. It will keep you in one piece."

Jakun sighed as he set his new bow aside, and slid the bracer over his arm.

"You don't know how to use a bow, do you?"

"No. My master did not see fit to teach me to use weapons," the amurrun scowled, collecting his new bow again.

Pulling another arrow from a fresh quiver, he lined up the arrow, loosing it, only to have it shatter over the target.

"You're letting your eye aim. You need to let your mouth aim."

The dwarf tugged Jakun's arm down until it was level.

"If you aim with your eyes, it puts the arrow on an upward angle."

"I can't see out of my mouth…"

"No… no, see with your eyes, but let the arrow loose from your mouth."

Frowning, Jakun lined up another arrow, lowering his left arm slightly. It looked way too low, but the amurrun released the arrow anyway.

The missile sped into the side of the target, almost missing. Jakun blinked in surprise, before picking up another.

"There. The way your friend was talking, you were an expert marksman," Wil scoffed.

"Jeremy was drunk," Jakun shrugged, loosing another arrow.

"I'm always drunk," Jeremy said, stepping into the yard. "Well… except when I'm not… And Jakun, you didn't need to yell at Amnor Sen. We are going to help you. That's why I'm pushing for you to go to Absalom with us."

"You want me to travel another two or three months before having to return?"

"Yes. Especially if it helps finally put that necromancer in the ground," Jeremy nodded.

"This trial of yours better be amazing," Jakun grumbled.

He moved toward the target, pulling the arrows back out. Dropping them into his quiver, the amurrun set a small bag of gold in front of the dwarf.

"Forty gold," he muttered, collecting his bow.

"You be sure to kill that white beast with it," Wil grinned, taking the gold happily.

"We will," Jeremy promised. "Jakun, if you're done with your little rage, Amnor Sen wants some help with the shirts so we can leave in the morning. The less time spent here, the better."

"Yeah… I guess I am."

His ears folded in shame, the amurrun's tail twitching. He hadn't been raging… just angry.

"I've never gone off like that before… is Amnor Sen angry?"

"Well, he's not happy. But he knows you needed to get it out," Jeremy shrugged, guiding the catfolk back to the forge. "I'm glad you did. Repressing that like you've been… well, I would hate to be Loran when you finally do get ahold of him."

The cleric chuckled lightly, his grin slowly dropping off as Jakun glared.

"I'm glad you can laugh about this."

"Laughter is the best medicine. You should try it," Jeremy shrugged.

"No."

It sent a chill through his spine, saying the word. But Jakun was not being pushed around any more. He had killed two people, shot a dragon in the eye… and the dick. He was someone to be feared, not laughed at. Gone was the amurrun who flinched at everything. Now everyone else would do the flinching.

"Soon everyone will know my name. Jakun, the Freed."

"You still have a ways to go to that point. Just remember not to lose sight of who you are," Jeremy cautioned. "Power can corrupt so easily. You are Jakun the Freed. But are you Jakun the Gentle? Or the Cruel?"

The amurrun frowned, staring at his feet.

"I… didn't need to kill that dwarf, did I?"

"Oh no, the terms of the duel were death. He knew it, you knew it. But you didn't need to scare the crap out of him before ending his life," Jeremy said.

Jakun's tail hung limp, the catfolk staring at his feet as he followed Jeremy, looking like a beaten cat.

"Here's a tip. Ask yourself, is this something Loran would do? If it is, your best bet is not to do it," Jeremy added, patting the amurrun's back gently.

They neared the forge, the sound of hammering already ringing in Jakun's ears. The cat entered the building, seeking out Amnor Sen. Approaching the elf, the catfolk stood quietly until Amnor Sen looked up.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you," Jakun said quietly.

"I'm sorry for not taking your feelings into account. I promise, I will do what I can to help you stop Loran," Amnor Sen said. "I don't think I can land the killing blow. But I will fight him with you."

Jakun set a hand on the elf, a small smile on his face.

"Thank you," he murmured.

"Of course. You are still my friend Jakun. Even if we have a disagreement. You would never believe how many times Jeremy and I have argued."

"I always win," Jeremy smirked. "I can't help it, my butt is irresistible."

Amnor Sen rolled his eyes, picking up the shirt again.

"I like your bow Jakun," he added. "But it would be a good idea to start saving gold. We need to find a place to stay in Nex, regardless of where we go next. I don't want to be travelling anywhere through the winter."

Jakun nodded with a quiet sigh.

"I can sell scrolls in Nex, right?" he asked.

"Um… yeah. I think magic works there," Amnor Sen frowned thoughtfully. "Though I don't know where the Wastes end and Nex begins. I think Ecanus is officially part of Nex… but then, aren't the Wastes part of Nex too?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," Jeremy frowned.

"I think the cities are safe," Jakun said. "The wilds between were wrecked by Geb."

"In other words, be careful…"

Jakun nodded, his fingers hooking a series of rings together.

"Well, it's no worse than here."

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

There was supposed to be ten gold off on the bow which would have been forty. Everything in this world is absurdly expensive. Are these coins really small? As a guide point, in the Old West a $20 gold piece could buy either a Colt Peacemaker or a fine suit of clothes. The gold will buy the equivalent today. For fifty of those you could buy a really nice car.

On another note, Jakun has gained confidence in himself and some sass.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..