Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,100 Words
  • 386 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 84. Chapter 84

The night air was frigid, yet he felt nothing. Jakun could see the ice forming on the ground, a fog billowing upward until it near smothered everything around him. He wasn’t sure if Ivris believed the fog worked or if the ravener was just trying to frighten him.

The funny thing about being an undead, soulless monster was that Jakun no longer feared death. No, he feared failure. And that made this no different than working for Loran. He was just going to kill this ravener, maybe harvest the dragon’s innards for use in spells, and then wait for his former master to arrive.

At least, that was the broad theory. In practice it would no doubt prove more difficult.

“Fethos ve mrith litrix, majak ve ingowil, origato sia saurivic ocuir,” the catfolk chanted, energy flowing around him as he set up wards and gave himself sight through the clouded night.

His bow was strung, a murmured word activating the magic quiver that had seen him through so much. Jakun nocked an arrow to his string, eyes scanning for his foe.

His invisible foe. Why throw a fog cloud if you were invisible? It made no sense to the catfolk. Maybe somewhere in his millennia of existing, the ravener had discovered some trick, but to Jakun, it just seemed like a waste of energy.

“Ocuir sia irlym.”

And there was his foe, a translucent dragon circling over the fortress. Jakun had one chance for his polymorph to work, one opportunity to break the ravener, but he couldn't take that chance just yet. He needed to hurt Ivris, distract him with pain.

“Hit the eye…” the catfolk breathed, the quiver at his hip thrumming with the spoken request.

As the arrow leapt from his bow, the lich grabbed a second missile, nocking it back as his eyes tracked the first. The arrow flew at the ravener, just missing his face, and there was an eruption of energy, a ripple through the air as a spell was discharged. It confused Jakun, as he ducked behind a pillar, until he realized it had been a sensor. Loran had been watching his new pet.

“How does it feel to be the lackey of a bag of meat?” he called, minute energy throwing his words to the ravener’s ears. “Loran sends you to do his dirty work. Is he too much of a coward to face me himself?”

Ivris roared, his head swivelling toward the catfolk. Belatedly Jakun realised the ravener hadn’t known where he was. He had just given himself away with his posturing, his attempt to worm his way into the dragon’s mind.

Snow sprung up around the lich, freezing winds kicking ice around as the ravener sped toward him. The dragon’s maw opened, Jakun loosing his second arrow into the gaping hole. He rolled to the right, keeping to Ivris’ blind side. The catfolk could almost hear Anya berating him for his stupidity, the werewolf’s voice a dim memory that nearly threw Jakun’s concentration.

No, he needed to focus, needed to end Ivris here and now. He could not afford to be distracted by a memory, no matter how fresh the wound in his heart was.

There had been no bellow, no sign that his shot had hit. Ivris still spun around, trying to track the elusive pest that had been a thorn in his side for too long. And Jakun saw his arrow stuck in a shield of necrotic energy, a protection against just such an attack. He let out a silent groan. This was going to be even harder than he thought. Every time he had faced this beast, he’d had allies who had cut Ivris’ magical defenses down, but now…

Now all he had was what Sadira had set up. He needed to restart the fortress defenses, the horde of smaller undead that would fall like chaff before the ravener, but just might whittle his shields down enough for Jakun to get a clean shot.

Darting back into the fortress, the catfolk sped through the halls, skidding to a stop in front of a ritual chamber. Pushing through the door, the lich knelt in a permanent circle, pulling on the energy within his body to call to the undead guarding the fortress. He hated having to do this, to call up the dead to fight for him. They lacked the will to resist his call, but this was for a good cause. If they had minds, he was sure the dead would agree that Ivris needed to rejoin them, the ravener’s stained soul descending to the Boneyard to be judged for his crimes.

“Si relgr wer eligneari ekess slathalin ihk ve. Svent Ivris.”

Magic flowed from the lich, the walls around him filling with necrotic energy. Skeletons rose, dog, cat, human, insect, it mattered little to the amurrun. He would see to it they received a reward for their service, even if they lacked the minds to understand it.

Ivris’ roar shook the fortress, a section of the roof caving in nearby as undead swarmed from the walls. Jakun was grateful Sadira adhered to the laws of Graydirge, burying the dead to help hold the walls. It gave him plenty of allies, though the building he was in was now too unstable to withstand the dragon attacking it.

Mentally directing his forces away from the building as he raced to join them, the lich grabbed for Ivris’ attention again. He liked this fortress. It would not be destroyed if he could help it.

As the dragon wheeled toward the ragtag army of undead, Jakun raised his hand. Arrows flew as animals charged, many of them destroyed in an icy blast the catfolk didn’t feel. He wondered at that briefly as he gathered energy for his spell. Turning his attention to his casting, Jakun ran forward, a moment’s levitation sending him up into the air. His hand sank through Ivris’ shields, catching a bone, and Jakun yelled out his spell as they fell.

“Xkhat vi sart rekisix!”

There was an eruption of energy around them, and he felt Ivris’ mind again, a pool of rage and fear. It brought a brief flash of hope to Jakun; maybe, just maybe, he could actually win this contest of wills-

An agonizing grip wrapped itself around his mind, Jakun screaming as he plummeted to the rocky ground below. Ivris was still alive and well, but the ravener’s mind withdrew, giving Jakun a moment's respite as he crashed into the ground, his arm filled with the fluffy white fur of a rabbit.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Spotify accidentally offered me perfect soundtrack for this chapter - VNV Nation “Retaliate”

https://youtu.be/6vprpioxSQ0
 

can almost hear

 

Your heart in the darkness

How fast it is beating

How close you are to me

 

I can almost hear

How tensely you are breathing

Out there in the darkness

Listening for me

 

I can almost sense

Your skin on my fingers

Tension and the fear

Anticipating me

 

I can almost see you

Somewhere in the darkness

Praying for advantage

Clinging to a chance

 

Justice never wavers

It is my single purpose

Relentless the pursuit

I will find you where you hide

Counting on your indecision

Deciding when to strike

Calculating movement

The senses of the chase

 

The game of chess begins

The pieces moved in place

Your advantage growing slimmer

Your options running thin

The hunt is what defines us

Imminent defeat

The back of your shirt soaking

Fear all you can feel

 

One of us the hunter

One of us the prey

One of us the victor

One to walk away

One who's left remaining

One of us who stands

One who lies defeated

Beneath the other's hands

When the dust is settled

Only one of us will see

Which of us was worthy

Which of us was weak

And when this fight is over

Only one of us will say

Which of us the victor

And which of us the prey

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..