Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,103 Words
  • 1,091 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 56. Chapter 56

Jakun had to admit, the Griffon's Roost was one of the nicest taverns he had seen yet. Instead of a bar area, there was a common room, a crackling fire in the center, giving off a pleasant warmth around the room. Straw mats circled the fireplace, spreading in a slow spiral that turned into tables the closer they got to the walls. It was a tavern made for people with no other place, and yet it made homelessness seem almost cozy.

He sat at a table now, lapping at a mug of surprisingly fresh milk, Jeremy off fetching his third mug of ale already. The amurrun wasn't sure why he didn't just summon his own ale. If Jakun could figure out how to summon milk, he'd be swimming in it constantly.

"Oh hey!"

A man suddenly sat at the table, taking Jeremy's seat. Jakun's hackles rose briefly, until the catfolk realised… he knew this man.

"Hi…" he said cautiously.

"Nice to see you made it through Axan," the man smiled, leaning back in his chair.

He snapped his fingers, and the milk in Jakun's mug refilled itself. The amurrun sniffed at it warily, before taking an uncertain lick.

Flavour exploded across his tongue, a cool cream coating it as he scooped the liquid into his mouth. The catfolk dove in with a loud purr, lapping rapidly while trying not to waste a drop.

"I don't think I ever got your name," the man smiled, watching the catfolk.

"Jakun…"

It was hard to talk around a mouthful of milk, but he made it work, his purrs steadily growing.

"I am called Mythara. It is a pleasure to officially meet you. And to see you a little filled out. Someone's been feeding you it seems."

Looking up cautiously, the catfolk let out a tiny merf, before drowning his worries in Mythara's milk.

"How did you make the milk? It's like… like Jeremy's spell. But you said your magic is arcane," the amurrun said, looking up at the man.

"It is. I am… rather strange," Mythara shrugged. "I have divine blood, but I study the arcane."

"Oh. How did you beat us here? I thought you were going to Mechitar."

"I did. Teleportation helps a lot with travel time. You would refer to it as a gate."

Jakun turned his head as a mug was slapped down on the table.

"Hey Jakun. Who's your friend?" Jeremy asked with a slight slur.

"Mythara. You must be his cleric friend. We met on the road south of Axan," Mythara smiled.

"Oh… I thought your name was Jaime…" Jeremy frowned.

Mythara echoed his frown.

"No, you and I haven't met. I met Jakun on the road."

"Oh. Thank the gods, I thought my mind was going," the cleric chuckled.

He slid the ale over to the man, conjuring his own ale in his mug.

"To new friends," Jeremy toasted, Mythara raising his own mug.

Jakun followed a moment later as Jeremy glanced at him. They all drank deeply, Jeremy draining his mug.

"My name is Jeremy," he added with a drunken smile. "You look like an adventurer."

"I am," the man said. "A simple spellblade out looking for love."

"Spellblade? You aren't armed…" Jakun frowned.

Tracing a circle into the air, Mythara reached into a glowing portal, pulling out a silver blade. He slid it back into the portal, banishing it with a wave of the hand.

"I make do," he chuckled at their stunned faces.

"Could you teach someone else to do that?" Jeremy asked. "Jakun keeps losing his weapons. It would be nice to have one on him permanently."

"Of course. The arcane formula is not that complex. It is merely a variation on an arcane pocket, making a larger dimension through a portal."

Jakun held up a hand, reaching into his bag to grab his workbook. Pulling a pen out eagerly, he began writing, hanging onto Mythara's every word.

"I have a suggestion," Mythara smiled as he finished. "I have mastered most of my spells, but I am looking to obtain more. You are a summoner, correct? Our spells belong to the same school of thought. Perhaps we could learn new ones together at the Conjurer's House. I heard they offer a reduced rate to a master and apprentice."

"You… you would teach me?" Jakun breathed, almost fearfully.

"I would. And you don't have to fear. This is voluntary. You are free to leave at any time, and I would never punish you. Not like a certain necromancer I've heard you had dealings with."

'Do it,' Anya spoke up suddenly. 'He could be a sacrifice, especially if you get him to like you.'

'I don't want to kill him. He's innocent,' Jakun denied.

Still, he nodded.

"I would be honoured to study under you," he said.

"Wonderful," Mythara beamed. "I believe the House provides rooms for students. If you are okay with sharing a room, it will certainly be cheaper then staying here. These rooms are a little much," Mythara said. "I promise, I will keep my hands to myself. My heart is already taken; I am merely tracking him down."

"That is a little strange. Why would you think he's afraid of you touching him?" Jeremy asked sharply.

"It is merely a precaution where I'm from. I am stronger than Jakun, at least for now. I wish to convey that I will never be a threat. In any way," Mythara explained.

"He has shot a dragon twice and lived to tell the tale," Jeremy boasted, Jakun's ears folding in embarrassment.

"I believe that is his story to tell as he wishes," Mythara noted. "Perhaps you might go with him the next time he hunts a dragon?"

"I was with him. I stabbed the dragon in the gut-"

"He landed on your blade," Jakun corrected quietly.

"You should take credit for your own actions," Mythara said. "The cleric who saved a hundred lives in the Night of Ice. Was that you?"

Jakun nodded when Jeremy wouldn't.

"In my eyes, that is a much greater accomplishment than merely shooting a dragon. Though from what I've heard, you took its eye. That was good shooting," Mythara added with a small smile.

"Thank you," Jakun murmured.

"If you finish your milk, I'll lead you to the House. You do have to cast a conjuration to get in. Perhaps your elemental?"

Jakun nodded, draining his mug somewhat sadly before standing. The amurran followed the man from the tavern, his chest bubbling with nerves. This could be just what he needed to beat Loran when he faced him again.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I see endless mugs of summoned cold, creamy milk in Jakun's future.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Damn I want that kind of spell too! 
 

Another new twist - and another new although old friend who is a good person and not plotting against our heroes of course. 
(I might need to repeat this a few more times until it sticks) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, IkeNeko said:

Damn I want that kind of spell too! 
 

Another new twist - and another new although old friend who is a good person and not plotting against our heroes of course. 
(I might need to repeat this a few more times until it sticks) 

The arcane pocket? Or conjuring liquid? One's arcane (duh) and the other is divine, which leads me to believe this Mythara might be a mystic theurge, using both kinds of magic at once.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

 

28 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

The arcane pocket? Or conjuring liquid? One's arcane (duh) and the other is divine, which leads me to believe this Mythara might be a mystic theurge, using both kinds of magic at once.

Just milk - steady supply of delicious milk - possibly coffee flavored 😂

Edited by IkeNeko
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, IkeNeko said:

 

Just milk - steady supply of delicious milk - possibly coffee flavored 😂

One of my amurruns, Lapis, has the create water spell, but as a follower of a cat goddess, he can either conjure pure water, or cold milk at will.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

One of my amurruns, Lapis, has the create water spell, but as a follower of a cat goddess, he can either conjure pure water, or cold milk at will.

That would work - I want to learn that! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, IkeNeko said:

That would work - I want to learn that! 

What you want is either a warpriest or an oracle of battle then. Think Geralt, but a little heavier on the casting side, using divine spells granted by a god. If you don't want ties to the deities, oracle is the way to go as the god literally says, here, have a curse and some powers, those are yours to keep.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

What you want is either a warpriest or an oracle of battle then. Think Geralt, but a little heavier on the casting side, using divine spells granted by a god. If you don't want ties to the deities, oracle is the way to go as the god literally says, here, have a curse and some powers, those are yours to keep.

I’ll do whatever as long as I can have a sword and milk 😂

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..